Who still buys CD's?

I still buy CDs, mainly because most download stores only carry low-quality DRMed music, and require Windows or OS X to run their store software. The only song I've bought online was from The FuMP, for three reasons:

1) It was a DRM-less 192k MP3
2) The sort of music there isn't the sort that requires high-fidelity to enjoy
3) It wasn't available on CD (and I only wanted the one song).

I run Linux, I expect quality if I'm going to pay for something, and I want to be able to listen to my music wherever I want to, so buying CDs and ripping them to FLAC is the ideal option for me. Shipping to Saudi Arabia is also surprisingly cheap for CDs.

But there's no electronic dance music at all. So I buy from online stores ... I like to buy mp3s at 320 kbps. You also have the option at some of the stores to buy the full WAV uncompressed, but I don't because they charge a ridiculous amount for that, and 320 is more than good enough for my uses.

What online stores do you use for EDM? Sometimes I'll hear a song, but when I try to find it online somewhere, I can only find them being sold on vinyl. :?

I still buy cd's as presents for my parents :p but I don't really listen that much to music normally, so it'll have to be a special occation for me to buy one for myself.

Aren't CDs of much higher quality than the avg "downloaded songs?" (raw wma vs lossy mp3) Although I do have to experiment with more 'lossless' compressions such as FLAC and whatnot.....if anyone wants to comment on those versus wma they are more than welcome....

Most ppl can't tell difference with the iPod-size earphones and that's good since more music can be stored with no sacrifice in musical fidelity, but for others who have/need/want higher fidelity audio systems....the quality difference is dramatic at higher volumes. So if people think that CDs are "old-fashioned" and will be gone in the future they are probably mistaken.....

Look up Pulse-code modulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

and red book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

One of the reasons that Minidiscs have survived so long is due to their high quality recording capabilities. In fact the latest recorders can record CD format PCM direct to disc, which doesn't sound very remarkable, but for ?200 it is.

Another possible reason: the cd case itself. "Takk", by "Sigur Ros", by example. It's a little book with beautiful artwork and the cd inside. Really adds a certain dimension.

Another possible reason: the cd case itself. "Takk", by "Sigur Ros", by example. It's a little book with beautiful artwork and the cd inside. Really adds a certain dimension.

You should see the In a Frozen Sea LP book they made. It's gorgeous. Worth every one of my pennies!

I still buy CDs, mainly because most download stores only carry low-quality DRMed music, and require Windows or OS X to run their store software. The only song I've bought online was from The FuMP, for three reasons:

1) It was a DRM-less 192k MP3
2) The sort of music there isn't the sort that requires high-fidelity to enjoy
3) It wasn't available on CD (and I only wanted the one song).

I run Linux, I expect quality if I'm going to pay for something, and I want to be able to listen to my music wherever I want to, so buying CDs and ripping them to FLAC is the ideal option for me. Shipping to Saudi Arabia is also surprisingly cheap for CDs.

What online stores do you use for EDM? Sometimes I'll hear a song, but when I try to find it online somewhere, I can only find them being sold on vinyl. :?

lol. I have a whole friggin list of them ... and I don't even know all ... but most of the time I find what I'm looking for.

I'll PM you the list... gimme a few minutes to write it all out.

I still buy CDs, especially limited editions and box sets, my collection is close to 300 CDs, of which ~25 are box sets and ~100-150 are limited editions. Then i rip them to mp3 (or i have already downloaded and prelistened the album) and generally listen to the mp3s, although when i listen to music in my living room, i still use old-fashioned CDs. Oh, and i have some 50 vinyl records, but no working turntable.