How many policing agencies do you encounter in your neighborhood

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Fairly simple question. How many different police agencies do you encounter in your neighborhood? I live in a census-designated place.....
A census-designated place (CDP) is a type of place (a concentration of population) identified by the United States Census Bureau for statistical purposes. CDPs are delineated for each decennial census as the statistical counterparts of incorporated places such as cities, towns and villages. CDPs are communities that lack separate municipal government, but which otherwise physically resemble incorporated places.
.....and because of that we get a few agencies. So far I've counted about four. City of Folsom Police, California Highway Patrol, Sacramento County Sheriff, and City of Citrus Heights Police.

on a regular basis I see the keene police dept., The Chesire County Sherriff dept. and the New hampshire state police. I did see the DEA once headed to one of the more "unpleasent" houses on the street:lol:

None :|

Well there is the 'normal' police, but unless something happends you have to go to the policestation if you want something, it's not far but they are rarely there, only one patrol to cover a huge area, oh the joy of living far from big cities.

Orange County Sheriffs, Orlando Police Dept. and Florida Highway Patrol.

I have no neighborhood so that would be none!

By "neighborhood" I mean general area.

Placentia, Fullerton, Anahiem police. Then we have the OC sherifs, the CA highway patrol. DEA and INS aren't all that uncommon either.

In my area there's generally York Regional Police, sometimes Toronto Police, and sometimes OPP (Ontario Provincial Police).

I see UT Dallas campus police, Richardson Police, Dallas Police, Dallas County Constable, Texas State Trooper.

Rutgers University Campus Police, Middlesex County Sherrifs Dept, Essex County Sherrifs Dept., NJ State Troopers, and a bunch of different local departments. There are so many towns in one area in New Jersey that you are bound to see police vehicles from around 3 different departments in the course of one 20 minute drive (especially on the highways with the many, many State Troopers waiting to jump at speeders).

EDIT: Do Military Police count too? There's a training facility near me :p

Last edited:
On a daily basis, I only encounter the local police department (suburb of Seattle). But, we do have the local police, the county sheriff, and the state highway patrol. This doesn't include federal police agencies like the FBI or DEA.

My town does share its police force with two surrounding towns under a joint-enforcement clause in our municipal agreements that also allow for shared duties among public EMT's and fire departments. This is convenient as I've recently dealt with a scenario where my specific towns EMT/Police/Fire rescue team was unable to get to an accident on my street due to a downed power line so they dispatched our neighboring towns EMT/Police/Fire to come from the other side. That was a fun day.

Mainly just Community officer (so none really) if you go on the dual-carriage ways (no motorways in Cornwall) you'll see odd Traffic Officers in there unmarked cars, RRs and Volvo V70s, I've only once seen armed police around here, which is good I guess.

Hampshire Constabulary. Why do some countries need 4 Police forces, that has got to be so efficient?

OK on a train you sometimes (very rarely) get the British Transport Police.

Last edited:
MO state police or St. Louis county cops when I'm on the interstate and then the local cops for whichever town I happen to be in athe time (Berkeley, Town and Country, Chesterfield, Creve Coeur, Maryland Heights, etc).

Near home it is pretty much just the local Town and Country police.

Last edited:
I'll try to explain.

The two city police departments cover their cities and will respond to emergencies just outside of the cities.

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is a state agency that acts as the state police force of California. It was originally created in 1929 as a highway patrol agency to ensure road safety in California but assumed greater responsibility with the passage of time. It now also provides security police services while protecting state buildings and facilities, conducts criminal investigations, and assists local law enforcement agencies. It is the largest state police agency in the United States with about 9,900 employees, of whom 6,800 are sworn officers, according to FBI data.

The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department (SSD) is a local law enforcement agency that serves Sacramento County, California. It provides general-service law enforcement to unincorporated areas of Sacramento County, as well as incorporated cities within the county who have contracted with the agency for law-enforcement services. Currently only Rancho Cordova has such a contract with the department since the Citrus Heights and Elk Grove Police Departments assumed all police authority and responsibility for Citrus Heights and Elk Grove in 2006 respectively. It also holds primary jurisdiction over facilities operated by Sacramento County, such as local parks, marinas and government buildings; provides marshal service for the Superior Court of California, County of Sacramento; operates the Sacramento County Jail and the Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center in Elk Grove, CA; and provides services such as laboratories and academy training to smaller law enforcement agencies within the county. The county sheriff is currently John McGinness.

They each have specific duties but some do overlap in places.

At home: Shrewsbury Police Department, Massachusetts State Police, and any neighboring town police that have wandered in by accident.

At school: Syracuse University Department of Public Safety,Syracuse Police, SUNY ESF Police, SUNY Medical University Police, and any neighboring university public safety police that have wandered in by accident.