2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

http://www.mclaren.com/footwear/index.php

The pictures are...let's say...interesting...

(Let the making fun begin...)

blank-picard_facepalm.jpg

Where as before I might've considered buying a pair, I'm not so sure I could wear those without thinking about a ripped, shiny semi-naked Lewis Hamilton...

James Allen, I hear has placed an order for 100 pairs.

Heikki looks like he just wants to crush his head in with those shoes. :lol:

I'll tell you what they're thinking;

"Cha-CHING! Time to buy a yacht!".

Unbelievable... suddenly Hamilton says something with which I actually agree...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35805

(article text can't be quoted)

Wanna bet? :p

Hamilton: F1 is boring

04/09/2008

As F1 heads to one of the truly great motor racing circuits - from a fan perspective as opposed to PR person - Lewis Hamilton has admitted that F1 is boring, paying particular reference to the recent race in Valencia.

"We do need to be able to follow closely and do more overtaking," says the Englishman, currently leading the World Championship, according to Eurosport.

"Look at the last race in Valencia," he continues, "there was no overtaking at all, so it can be a bit dull. I definitely support the move to try and make F1 more exciting."

Although we have a three (possibly four) way fight for the title, there has been little to get truly excited about this season, in terms of on-track action. Then came Valencia, a race where the top ten finishers were (other than for the absence of Raikkonen) the same ten that headed the grid, in virtually the same order. A recent Talking Point saw many Pitpass readers admit to turning off the race in frustration, while a poll had over 90 percent of participants giving the new track the thumbs down.

Hopefully, the new regulations for 2009, aimed at reducing 'dirty air', and thereby promoting slipstreaming and overtaking, will give fans and racers something to cheer about.

Referring to Valencia again, Hamilton adds: You couldn't get close to other cars, which is the same at a lot of the circuits we have.

"I think we put on a great show," he continues, "but you saw there wasn't any overtaking. I don't know what the answer to that is, but I do know I was working my ass off in the race and doing the best job I could."

Nobody doubts that Lewis and his fellow drivers were working their asses off. However, the current rules (not merely aerodynamic), some of the tracks being used and the points system, are leading to processions that excite nobody.

While CVC and Ecclestone continue to rake in the dosh, and Max and the teams dither over the rules, perhaps they should be paying attention to what the fans have been saying for some time, and drivers, such as Hamilton, are not beginning to pick up on.

If F1 is to win new fans, thereby guaranteeing the future of the sport, the product (the racing) must improve.

It defies belief that a series supposed to represent the pinnacle of motorsport, a series which involves so many billions of dollars, can be described by one of its leading lights as "boring".

Some great points in there - particularly the last three paragraphs.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70292

Donington COO Gill steps down

By Jonathan Noble Friday, September 5th 2008, 11:23 GMT

Donington Park's chief operating officer Lee Gill has ended his involvement with the circuit and the company that runs it, autosport.com has learned.

Just two months after it was announced that Donington Park had poached the British Grand Prix from Silverstone after agreeing a deal with Bernie Ecclestone, Gill has ended his partnership with chief executive officer Simon Gillett.

The reasons behind the departure are unknown. And although a Donington Park spokesman said that the matter would not affect the track's ongoing planning for the British Grand Prix, the development will only add to questions about whether the track has what it takes to be ready in time for 2010.

Gill and Gillett were co-founders of Donington Ventures Leisure Limited (DVLL), which acquired the operating rights to Donington Park in February last year. Their takeover also included the purchase of land around the circuit and the historic Donington Grand Prix Collection.

Donington Park is planning a ?100 million investment programme to improve the track in time for the British GP in 2010. As well as a new pits and paddock complex, a new loop is planned for the final corner to extend the length of the track.

Ecclestone said recently that if the circuit was not ready in time for the 2010 event then there was no back-up plan to keep the event at Silverstone.

"We've been playing around for six or seven years," he said in an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live. "If Silverstone couldn't do it before then why could they do it now?

"We scaled back so much for them and agreed things we shouldn't have, to keep things at Silverstone. If there is no Donington there is no British GP."

This makes me think that Bernie, a few years ago, has come up with a plot to discredit the BRDC and get rid of Silverstone once and for all, because if this is true, there's little chance that Donington will get to host the BGP in 2010.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35821

More problems at Donington

05/09/2008

Further to our previous report that Lee Gill has resigned as Chief Operation Officer of Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd, the group which owns the operating rights to Donington Park, we can now reveal two further resignations this morning.

We hear that Financial Controller Peter Edwards and PR Company Sidhu & Simon Communications have also quit.

Sidhu & Simon were appointed in December 2006 to manage and oversee all 2010 F1 communications, with former Williams and Jaguar PR guru Nav Sidhu overseeing the project."

Now this makes the whole thing even more complicated...

Not looking too positive for Donignton at all.

Vettel to test Red Bull this month

05 September 2008

Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Sebastian Vettel will be testing for two days at Jerez later this month. Meanwhile at Toro Rosso Takuma Sato and Sebastien Buemi will be joining the team at this very same test for a day of testing.

A spokesperson confirmed to GPUpdate.net Vettel will be in the car in the team's three-day test (17-19 September) at Jerez for two days.

Sebastian Vettel will be joining Mark Webber as a Red Bull driver for next season but paddock rumours suggest he could replace Coulthard after the Italian Grand Prix already while GP2 driver Sebastien Buemi or former Super Aguri driver Takuma Sato would replace Vettel at Toro Rosso.

Source

The end for DC is closer then expected? It would make sense in that Italy is the final European round of the season.

^Yeah, but on the other hand, if I were Red Bull I'd rather have Vettel finish the rest of the season at Red Bull, as he is more capable of scoring points then DC. Red Bull were desperate to finish forth this season, that is probably out of reach now, but fifth is still there to be taken from Renault.

^Yeah, but on the other hand, if I were Red Bull I'd rather have Vettel finish the rest of the season at Red Bull, as he is more capable of scoring points then DC. Red Bull were desperate to finish forth this season, that is probably out of reach now, but fifth is still there to be taken from Renault.

I'd rather see both Renault and RBR making a massive push and both of them overhauling Toyota. 6 races left, they can take turns at beating each other while both beating Toyota.

Last edited:
I hope they let DC finish the season, that man has is around for so many years and he does not deserve to be kicked out near the end of his last season.