Pontiac G8 GXP rated at 415hp

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
The V8-powered Pontiac G8 GT has garnered a fair amount of respect around Autoblog HQ, with almost everyone who's spent time behind the wheel singing the praises of the Aussie-imported four-door muscle car. We're all suckers for rubber-melting torque and rear-wheel motivation, and even El Capitan Neff has thought about retiring his Alero for a shot at G8 ownership. For the rest of us, a six-speed manual would seal the deal

pontiac-g8-gxp-1280-001a_450op.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08/pontiac-g8-gxp-officially-rated-at-415-hp/

Wierd that it's rated to 415hp not the 317kw (425) that HSV quote

Wierd that it's rated to 415hp not the 317kw (425) that HSV quote

You have to remember that the U.S. car companies measure horsepower by SAE standards. SAE net horsepower is typically (as far as I can tell) lower than, for example, the German DIN standard, primarily to keep the insurance companies and the environmental and safety lobbies a little bit happier.

^ That plus all the emissions control crap that eat away at horsepower. But still 415hp in that thing is very very nice! My only gripe about the G8 is that it doesn't have much presence. I've seen a few in person and they didn't jump out at me as something special.

My only gripe about the G8 is that it doesn't have much presence. I've seen a few in person and they didn't jump out at me as something special.

Crap...that's the same complaint everyone had about the Monaro-derived GTO, and we all remember how well that turned out. Let's hope it's not the same outcome this time around.

Wow thats an exceptional deal. I know that people may complain about the quality, but for the money damn thats a good deal.

^ That plus all the emissions control crap that eat away at horsepower. But still 415hp in that thing is very very nice! My only gripe about the G8 is that it doesn't have much presence. I've seen a few in person and they didn't jump out at me as something special.

that's exactly what I like about it. I would LOL so hard if you had some kid in a riced Civic and you assrape him without him seeing it coming.

He'd be like "I was beaten by WHAT?"

You have to remember that the U.S. car companies measure horsepower by SAE standards. SAE net horsepower is typically (as far as I can tell) lower than, for example, the German DIN standard, primarily to keep the insurance companies and the environmental and safety lobbies a little bit happier.

IIRC Holden & HSV use the SAE measure.

^ That plus all the emissions control crap that eat away at horsepower. But still 415hp in that thing is very very nice!

Sorry not buying that. Just removing the "emissions control crap that eat away at horsepower" on a modern LS gains jack shit for power. My friend did an LS swap into an FC and the only reason he didn't put in the emissions stuff was the extra work to make sure it functioned properly.

Probably has more to due with fuel grade in the 2 countries. 10hp can easily pulled out in the ecu just to account for a point or 2 drop in octane.

IIRC Holden & HSV use the SAE measure.

I'm guessing it's slightly de-tuned to run on the piss and fecal that the Americans call gasoline! :p 87 is regular over there, I believe.

I'm guessing it's slightly de-tuned to run on the piss and fecal that the Americans call gasoline! :p 87 is regular over there, I believe.

Remember that the Yanks like to use a different measuring system to the rest of the world for pretty much everything, including octane in petrol. Their 87 is roughly equivalent to our 91.

That said, doesn't the HSV version run on 91 anyway? Probably de-tuned a bit so it's easier to meet CAFE standards or for California emissions.

Remember that the Yanks like to use a different measuring system to the rest of the world for pretty much everything, including octane in petrol. Their 87 is roughly equivalent to our 91.

That said, doesn't the HSV version run on 91 anyway? Probably de-tuned a bit so it's easier to meet CAFE standards or for California emissions.

Really? Weird :???:

I saw one briefly recently and while it could certainly look better, it looks good and, as stated, is a bit unassuming, but in a good way.

I think you can run it on 91 but all their power ratings are with 98... And you probably will get some knocking with 91.
http://img377.imageshack.**/img377/6320/hsvtd4.png

Oh, and just realised, we can see here that HSV uses DIN for power/torque measurement...

Last edited:
I'd buy it. It's one of three modern Pontiac's I'd say that about (the other two are the Solstice and the GTO)

Any of the GM v8's labeled "LS" run on 91 (california)/93 (US) octane. They can run on lower, but their power rating is for high octane.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about the almost complete failure of the G8 in the US market. Pontiac is selling less than 8,000 G8s a month.

It's pathetic, GM finally produces a powerful, good looking, modern, well built, excellent handling 4 door sedan with a nice interior for a reasonable price... and they can't give it away. The GT costs about 32K and for that you get a loaded, 361 HP car that handles as well as anything in the price range. It's aruguably the best mid-priced sedan GM has ever sold in the US... and nobody buys it.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about the almost complete failure of the G8 in the US market. Pontiac is selling less than 8,000 G8s a month.

It's pathetic, GM finally produces a powerful, good looking, modern, well built, excellent handling 4 door sedan with a nice interior for a reasonable price... and they can't give it away. The GT costs about 32K and for that you get a loaded, 361 HP car that handles as well as anything in the price range. It's aruguably the best mid-priced sedan GM has ever sold in the US... and nobody buys it.

It's only sold in an Automatic form, the market is WAY down, and people aren't exactly going nuts for cars with big engines in them.