The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Well, after doing some long-term financial figuring, it looks like getting a bike next spring is just not in the cards. If I get a big raise in April, which is actually possible this year since I've been made the "leader" of the group of people I work with, a summer purchase could be possible, but not too responsible*. So it looks like the spring after next should be good for smib to lose a couple of wheels, unless I explode or something.

*I should note that fiscal responsibility is something I lack.

You don't have a backyard or patio? A CB450 isn't exactly all that big.

You don't have a backyard or patio? A CB450 isn't exactly all that big.

College apartment complexes don't like project vehicles. I however, will be looking to buy in the late January time frame, hopefully I'll be able to find another deal like that.

Which college are you going to?

If you get a cover and keep it over it, nobody will know that it's a project bike. It can share a parking space with your Jeep, even.

UT Dallas.

Yes, I could get a cover, but the real problem is that I may have funding pulled. As my dad is paying for my school, he still has some say in large purchases, especially another vehicle. I'm working on getting past that restriction, but, progress is slow.

Ah, yeah, that's where I went.

They didn't care about my unit's project bikes so long as they were kept neat and weren't obvious. At one point, we had a CB125S, a KZ400 and a CB450 all parked in the same spot there.

Ah, cool. They rarely even check parking permits here, mine expired in August and still no ticket. I could easily park it here, its just, if it was found to be mine by certain parties, bad things could happen.

Damnit, my Honda wouldn't start today. I must have kicked it over 20 times. Evidently it will run fine at 40 degrees, but anything less is just too cold. Sounds like I had the same weather you're getting mautzel. It's getting cold, but the skies are nice and blue. Maybe next year I'll have found a more reliable motorcycle.

Seems like it is up to you Aussies and South Africans to tell us about the fantastic rides you had for the next couple of months. :mad: Anyway, let's simply wait for spring.

Seems like it is up to you Aussies and South Africans to tell us about the fantastic rides you had for the next couple of months. :mad: Anyway, let's simply wait for spring.

Or Texans. We ride year round here. :D

College apartment complexes don't like project vehicles. I however, will be looking to buy in the late January time frame, hopefully I'll be able to find another deal like that.

Do what I did and keep it in your bedroom. Some prior disassembly required, however. :D

I've got some cool ideas with my Yammy that I'm thinking of doing once winter break comes. Initially I was just going to ditch it and concentrate on my CB550F, but as I've been riding it I've warmed up to it a lot more (gave it an Italian tuneup yesterday afternoon and took it to 8,000RPM, exhilarating stuff). I'm looking forward to ditching the cracked fairing and getting some dual headlights for it.

Except for that one pesky day when its nice in the morning and then sleets in the afternoon :mrgreen::lol:

Yeah, well, I've successfully ridden a much larger bike home through that. Won't be anything new to me. :D

So many points I want to respond to :? ...
Except for that one pesky day when its nice in the morning and then sleets in the afternoon :mrgreen::lol:
From what I've seen, that's the day that every other Texan drives their SUV into a ditch. Really, having to drive in Texas, in slick conditions, is some of the scariest driving I've had to endure. I hate driving in Texas in the best of times :D, but once ice starts falling from the skies, it's like all you guys completely forget how to drive.

Then you can go get an XL650. :D
I expect to get more than what I paid for out of the Honda ($500). If I could get my hands on a large displacement 4-stroke enduro, $#@!, I really can't type how happy that would make me. Such a bike would be perfect for the terrain and roads both here. Especially if it was an older one with a reasonable seat height. I'm only 5'9" or so, I don't want a bike with a 36" static seat height.

I've got some cool ideas with my Yammy that I'm thinking of doing once winter break comes... I'm looking forward to ditching the cracked fairing and getting some dual headlights for it.
Do it :D. (Ha, twice with the :D.) A friend of mine just shot me some pics of his early '70s CB750, and man, stripped-down/naked bikes, of any vintage, are where it's at.

Do it :D. (Ha, twice with the :D.) A friend of mine just shot me some pics of his early '70s CB750, and man, stripped-down/naked bikes, of any vintage, are where it's at.
Post them! :drool:

In other news, the Dacia Sandero! I've been thinking of getting a dual-sport bike for my next adventure, as I want to explore off-road and long distance riding.

Something like a BMW GS...

2.jpg

1.jpg

When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll be ready.

My graphics teacher has a yellow '95 R1100GS and he offered to go on a ride with me sometime. I'm definitely going to take him up on it, especially if it gets me extra credit for not turning my latest project in on time. :mrgreen:

Heh.

I'd take a Honda Transalp (some of them snuck in) 1000 over that. I've not been impressed by BMW's reliability in general or the GS in specific of late - there's a few in my local riding club.

I'd even recommend a Triumph Tiger instead. :D