Random Thoughts....

QUESTION: What is the point of money if you have no time to use it?

So you can retire early and laugh at all the hobos :p

Retire? People don't retire anymore. They come out of retirement to work more. And he doesn't have time to see anything other than the hotel and the business room. How much fun is that?

Personal satisfaction is different from person to person. There are people that have work-heavy lifestyles that are perfectly happy. And there are people who have lifestyles that others would kill for that are very miserable.

Retire? People don't retire anymore. They come out of retirement to work more. And he doesn't have time to see anything other than the hotel and the business room. How much fun is that?

Some people actually like that sort of thing. It brings a sense of accomplishment and importance.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Toronto has the best Chinese food.

Rest of the town is rubbish though.

270913946_efa38ec3d8.jpg

In other news, I really want the latest Sniff Petrol t-shirt, honoring my automotive journalist hero, Troy Queef. :thumbup:

dab-detail.gif

http://slickattire.com/dab_of_oppo_shirt.htm

Hell, I'll take anything from Slick Attire while I'm at it.

And tomorrow I'll be helping my friend take apart the airhead engine on a BMW R60/5. Should be fun when I have no idea what I'm doing.

Last edited:
I saw an episode of Family Feud recently, where they had to guess something about movie action heroes...don't remember the question, but they were naming action movie stars.

Someone said "Sly Stone."

And they went to the board, heard the "DING" and "Sylvester Stallone" turned around.

I would have given that guy a big fat red "X" and the BUZZ! Not only was he a douche for trying to be clever with Stallone's name, but the name he used was someone completely different.

For clarification:
Sylvester Stallone:
sylvester_stallone_1.jpg

Sly Stone:
sly-stone-2.jpg

M$ just attempted to renew my xbox live subscription with an expired credit card...and they never canceled my account when it failed. So I just bought a Gold Subscription card from work so I don't need a credit card. I added this new gold card and it says it will expire in 2 years...yet I never paid for this year. So I heard they add a balance that needs to be paid on the expired credit card so I call them to cancel that and remove that card so I don't have to worry about this shit again.

The customer support guy just hung up on me.

Damn. My next door neighbour's father apparently passed away really suddenly yesterday. He was always round there at his daughter's place helping her out with the house and doing things in the garden when she was at work. On weekends he'd entertain her boys and go to watch them play sport and the like. My mum and I have spoken to him on many occasions and only recently found at that his family is actually somehow related to ours (in a really complicated way I won't go into now). He seemed to be just about the nicest man I've ever met. Now he's gone, he wasn't all that old either, late sixties at most. There's a real sadness in our street today. :(

On a brighter note, I got through my assessment days for my course a-okay. Well, I won't really know how I've gone until classes resume next week. Got some other assignments to get on with now, however. Oh yay! :?

Last edited:
Damn. My next door neighbour's father apparently passed away really suddenly yesterday. He was always round there at his daughter's place helping her out with the house and doing things in the garden when she was at work. On weekends he'd entertain her boys and go to watch them play sport and the like. My mum and I have spoken to him on many occasions and only recently found at that his family is actually somehow related to ours (in a really complicated way I won't go into now). He seemed to be just about the nicest man I've ever met. Now he's gone, he wasn't all that old either, late sixties at most. There's a real sadness in our street today. :(

On a brighter note, I got through my assessment days for my course a-okay. Well, I won't really know how I've gone until classes resume next week. Got some other assignments to get on with now, however. Oh yay! :?

I'm wrapping up my final host for the semester tonight, so far a 5000 word epic on a identity management system for a country of 50 million people. I couldn't be bothered finding a country with approximately 50 million people so I said that Australia was execpting large amounts of migration (admitably probably not 30 million people migrating, might change it to say 30 million guest id's for foreign nations)

My recommendation to support said identity management system (3 factor authentication, something you are, something you have, something you know) was the purchase of 12 IBM z10 mainframes with 1tb ram running SuSe linux at a cost of $26 million per unit :D

^ That really is epic. LOL

Like to see someone trying to get the funding for that. Oh well, at least nobody can say you aren't thinking big and with 'the future in mind'. (Is it just me or that last phrase really being used to death atm??) Must be because I'm stuck inside with this cold and all I'm doing when not doing work is listening to the talking heads on the box going blah blah blah about the economy and defense spending etc. 'Keeping the future in mind' says another..STFU says me! :lol:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Toronto has the best Chinese food.

Rest of the town is rubbish though.

Hey, it's not a town, it's a city!!:rolleyes:
Anyway: best Chinese cuisine? I doubt it. But Toronto and the surrounding Greater Toronto Area is quite diverse, so most restaurants in Toronto have a cultural theme to them. You're probably going to find a restaurant to represent almost any culture or country on earth in this city, which is awesome.

It also gets to you after a while, because if you work or study in Toronto, even though you live in the suburbs, you get to sample international cuisine every day. And thus you begin cooking chinese, japanese, indian, greek, mexican, italian and spanish dishes at home which otherwise you would have never cooked ... but hey, now they're part of your regular palate because you eat them every day so ...

And Toronto is not a rubbish city. It's a very nice city with anything and everything you need. It's very much alive, exciting and good fun. If you live here. If you're a tourist, this city is not for you. There's nothing touristy to do here. What are you going to do? go to the museums, art galleries, malls and theme parks all day? You can do that at home if you come from the US.

There's not much history to this city either, most of the stuff you see is new ... nothing is older than 200 years after Columbus set foot, basically. Mind you, if you go to the town where I was born, back in no-tourist-ever-goes-to Romania, every single rock on the road has a story behind it. Every building, every street, every square, every statue and every park has an event in history associated with it.

And everyone tells you how it's because the "new world" is so damn new to history and everything happened after the colonization and Europe has been in the history books from way back before that. And they blame that to be the cause of almost no history being shown here.

Well, I disagree. It is my strong opinion and I dare say that Canadians have never cared much about their history and preserving their heritage and customs so much and that's why a lot of Canada's history is not visible in every day life here. Everything that I've seen in this place we call Toronto today, the old town of York and a large city and important city throughout Canada's history, is brand-spanking new. Through the city there are pictures of what used to be in this place and what used to be in that place ... but, by God, those places do not exist anymore. All the old buildings that weren't of some absolutely incredibly significant importance and still being used lot were torn down for being "old and raggedy" and new stuff was built in their place ... all the sky scrapers, all the new stadiums at the water front, all the new condos ... everything occupies the space where something else once sat. An old record store that held a lot of history in Toronto and many fond memories of famous artists and long hours spent by music enthusiasts at its steps was just torn down this year to make room for a new student center for my university. Not that I'm complaining, but what was wrong with the old building? With some interior construction they could have used the building as is, but chose to demolish it in the name of commerce and "progress".
Another one is Maple Leaf Gardens stadium ... all the NFL and international hockey games that have happened there and all the incredible moments that have happened there over the years in what we call our "national sport" are going to be lost when they will sell that piece of land (there were rumors last year that the companies may be looking to sell it) and eventually build something in its place, probably some condominium.

The town hall and local governments in the town where I was born are still reinforcing the walls of our treasured old theater every few years, over and over again to keep it up. In Canada we take something like the Dunlop Observatory, a completely functioning observatory and a nationally historic site as being the place where the first observation and documentation of a black hole being observed was made (internationally speaking), and what do they do with it? Sell it to a land developer who is going to cut the forest down and build condos and parking lots on top.

Anyway, rant over, please return to your normal discussions...