The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread?

hansvonaxion

Car(s)
Legacy GT-B
So what is it? Something that makes your life easier, perhaps saves you time, doesn't cost you anything. It could be anything really, so long as it was invented, discovered or implemented after 1928.

For me, one contender would be spaghetti pre-wrapped into 100g (single serve) bundles.

Those new tomato sauce (ketchup) bottles that squirt with no mess or drips are pretty cool.
Only problem is they're a little high powered and unpredictable at times.

Did a search so if it's been done, punish me.

Last edited:
Index shifting on bicycles! I have no idea how we survived "feeling" for the shift on an old friction shifter.

Sliced bread is a bullshit invention, cutting something up is not creation. Build a better mouse trap is a much better idiom.

Sliced bread is a bullshit invention, cutting something up is not creation. Build a better mouse trap is a much better idiom.

You're taking the phrase too seriously. The line about sliced bread is supposed to be hyperbolic.

So what is it? Something that makes your life easier, perhaps saves you time, doesn't cost you anything. It could be anything really, so long as it was invented, discovered or implemented after 1928.

For me, it's got to be my ipod touch. I use it so much that I really wouldn't want to live without it.

Last edited:
Lasers on jigsaws.

I've heard the internet is quite good.

But unlike mouse traps, sliced bread is something used very commonly in modern households. Therefore, I think mousetraps serve as bullshit idiom with no touch with modern life, as people can't relate to the trapping. :p

Mediagate. No more ridiculous shelves of DVDs.

All good inventions/ideas. I was originally going to say home delivered pizza too, but forgot.

But lasers on jigsaws? You mean as guide? Never seen one.

Sliced bread is bullshit? When I was a kid we always got an "upright loaf" instead of the pre-cut square crap. About halfway through the thing would start looking suspiciously triangular.

Electronic ignition! and fuel injection.

Laser mice.

Thumbdrives.

Electricity in general.

Computers in general.

Digital cameras.

For me, one contender would be spaghetti pre-wrapped into 100g (single serve) bundles.

In this country people would just put 5 or 6 bundles in a pan, therefore completely defeating the object of the whole thing.

I agree with the ketchup bottles though, they're very good. Always been tempted to see how far one can fire the ketchup but never tried it.

In-ear moulded earphones are on my list, always hated the ones that don't actually go in your ear. You can hear your music without everyone else on the train hearing it too. Shame I keep killing pairs, on my fifth set I think.

Synchromesh, although I can't guarantee that it was invented after 1928.

Wireless anything (keyboards, mice, console controllers)

I'm gonna vote for naps. I know sleep really isn't invented, but I'd like some...now.

In this country people would just put 5 or 6 bundles in a pan, therefore completely defeating the object of the whole thing.

Well not really. I guess if you're feeding 5 people you can just put a whole 500g pack in and you don't need the bundles, but then if you're making dinner for 2 it doesn't hurt to have them. Know what I mean?

Also for single men, half loaves of bread (I always ended up throwing bread away).

The Guinness widget?

I know it's been around since the Egyptians, but beer really deserves mention. Man's greatest achievement.