Random Thoughts....

Your 70s is showing, Captain.

[YOUTUBE]erMO3m0oLvs[/YOUTUBE]

My favourite siren sound, quite errie though. The thought that if you hear on of these it might be one of the last things you ever do...

I think we still use those style sirens in the UK for a Nuclear attack warning, scary.

Bah! Those are the same sirens we have in town. They get tested the first Saturday of every month at 10AM.

That's EXACTLY what we have here too so you can see why people get creeped out if they don't know what's going on! My college roommate's eyes were the size of saucers the first time she heard it. We generally have one in every neighborhood. They go off whenever the national weather service calls a tornado warning and monthly for testing although I'm sure they'd be called into action for other emergencies as well. Also, there's no 'all clear' signal here so you have to sit and wait and hope to know when the storm is gone.

Last edited:
I think I may have just a bit of a problem on my hands.

So I applied for Up With People and just finished the phone interview...

*gulp* Anyone want to help me raise 14,250$ by January 2010?

That's EXACTLY what we have here too so you can see why people get creeped out if they don't know what's going on! My college roommate's eyes were the size of saucers the first time she heard it. We generally have one in every neighborhood. They go off whenever the national weather service calls a tornado warning and monthly for testing although I'm sure they'd be called into action for other emergencies as well. Also, there's no 'all clear' signal here so you have to sit and wait and hope to know when the storm is gone.

Yup, we have ones that sound exactly like that as well that the weather service uses.

It is really creepy when the sky is black, there is thunder and lightning everywhere, and then you hear that coming through it all. :blink:

This my dear people, is a siren. There is a reason that this siren howls in the Silent Hill games... It creeps me off every time i hear it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ-XsasNgPg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
This my dear people, is a siren. There is a reason that this siren howls in the Silent Hill games... It creeps me off every time i hear it.

Bah. Live where I live and it is just another sound, which is a bit disconcerting that you get used to a siren that is there to warn you of mortal peril.

I'm now researching sirens. I've determined our town has 6, most of them vintage Thunderbolt Sirens (apparently from the late 60's).

atlas.finalgear.com-active_forum_users-week.png

atlas.finalgear.com-active_forum_users-year.png

We are tracking you... :p

Bah. Live where I live and it is just another sound, which is a bit disconcerting that you get used to a siren that is there to warn you of mortal peril.

Try living in a country where the most dangerous thing that could happen is one of the power plants blowing up. We got no tornados, no thunderstorms to talk of, the only thing we get is a shitload of snow in the winter and that is hardly something to sound a siren over. So, when a siren blows around here... It's bad. And the ones here just let out a loud honk, like a car horn. So... A proper siren sound is something that causes a chill. I might be silly, but that's the way i work.

^ I would probably soil my pants in your situation, too. And be glad you have no thunderstorms or tornadoes, it is cool and all to have rated R thunderstorms roll across the Illinois plains, but there is that small fear that some cruel tornado will drop out of the sky.

Last edited:
Where I used to go to school was right across the road from a fire station, a really old one which still has the stonking great old fire alarm bell up the top housed in a tower. Also, being on a hill, it is a landmark for the surrounding area. It's a shame they don't use that anymore, I'd love to hear it. However, quite often we'd be sitting in class and the alert siren would go off in the fire station and you'd get the rather amusing sight of 17, 18 and 19 year-olds running to the windows to see the fire trucks scrambling like a bunch of over-excited kindergarteners! :lol:

That's about as exciting as it gets here, folks. But, thinking about it, I don't mind that one bit.

Last edited:
on the by year chart, I bet nobody could possibly tell when the last series of top gear aired. Weird that the traffic always peaks on what looks like sundays even when top gear's not on.

atlas.finalgear.com-active_forum_users-week.png

atlas.finalgear.com-active_forum_users-year.png

We are tracking you... :p

KILL THE SPIDERS! AAAH!

What are spiders? :unsure:

On a different note, my mom and dad both have had hellish weeks this week. They've been working from 8 in the morning till 8 in the evening. My mom has to recover from a lost grant application and has some important experiments running (she does cancer research), and my dad (clinical chemist) has $46,000 worth of assays to complete and some of the people behind the assays are numbnuts.

I'm leaving this evening for bowling with my friends and I felt bad about all they've gone through, so I got both of my parents chocolates, saying "grats on completing hell week" ^_^. I got my mom Ghiraradelli with toffee and caramel, as well as Hershey's symphony with toffee and I got my dad some Lindt dark chocolate with red chilis in it :eek:.

I assume it's one of those web search engine things that scuttles around from one site to another updating it's cache and getting info?

I assume it's one of those web search engine things that scuttles around from one site to another updating it's cache and getting info?
You just looked that up on Wikipedia didn't you...:tease:

Sometimes I wonder why I am awake at 1:45am when I hate being awake most of the time...

Reactions: LP
You just looked that up on Wikipedia didn't you...:tease:

Why uh.... no.... no... not at all... nowai.... uh... what made you get that idea?

:mrgreen:

Last edited: