Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Ooo, this sounds great!

+1 for Lotus at Le Mans, and another vote for Lotus to come back to GT Racing

Also, car looks superb :D

They should bring the Elise GT1 out of retirement, only make it good this time.
754558.jpg

elise_gt1_97-sm1.jpg

So, according to this interview (German language), Hermann Tilke's favourite race track is the Nordschleife. Does he, master planner of modern boring-as-hell racetracks, honestly expect anyone to beliefe him on that?

So, according to this interview (German language), Hermann Tilke's favourite race track is the Nordschleife. Does he, master planner of modern boring-as-hell racetracks, honestly expect anyone to beliefe him on that?

Yes. He expects everyone to believe it, but unfortunately for him, nobody does. Thing is, he has participated in the 24h of Nurburgring for the last few years as a driver. Maybe that's why.

I think that if he was given a truly hilly piece of land to design a track on he would show some skill, just look at Turkey.

One of those definite "What has been seen cannot be un-seen" moments.

Nissan Motorsports, generally, when racing, fielded one of their cars with number 23.

In Japanese, 2 = ni and 3 = san.

:blink:

Thats very clever, maybe quite obvious if you are japanese. But it seems clever to me.

I've looked through their Le Mans appearances, and it looks as if when they fielded a #23 car (they didn't in 1998, they did in '99 but it failed to start), it was generally crewed solely or mostly by Japanese drivers.

EDIT: Another exception would be '94, but in that year the Nissans were run by a fully-American team.

Last edited:
NASCAR was back at Talladega this weekend. Was there a reprise of a car going airborne like Carl Edwards in the spring? Does a bear shit in the woods?

[YOUTUBE]BKSyr85r4sY[/YOUTUBE]

I have to say, Ryan was extremely lucky that he landed the initial flight on top of Harvick's car, if he had flattened the roof by landing that on tarmac that second landing could really have hurt.

Not an extremely good race yesterday. Plate racing at it's best is still one of the most spectacular forms of racing but there was not enough of it yesterday, drivers were afraid of vague rulings and resorted to driving around single file.

So the STCC and DTC will join together for a Scandinavian Touring Car Championship, and eventually Finland and Norway will join too. Could be really good this!

Wow, I just got an email that Skip Barber is doing 30% off for their 3-day racing schools until Dec 1st if you buy a gift card. $2,800 (instead of $4,000) for 3 days in a Barber Dodge or an MX-5 Cup car... not bad. They must be really hurting for attendance this year.

Grand-Am Koni Challeng is really shaping up for next year. There are two new cars on the way:

Riley is building a GS-class Camaro, 2 or 3 of which will be fielded by TC Motorsports.

And Kia (wat) is entering two Forte Koups in the ST class with Kinetic Motorsports.

There's already a shedload of cars in that series, and now the field is getting even bigger.

OMG The son of Sir Jackie Stewart is going to launch a charity single! :lmao: Just saw it on the Sunday FM programme right now.

Probably. It's dedicated to his dad for his 70th birthday.

I've volunteered as a moderator for the Autosport forums (specifically Racing Comments) and my "application" seems to have been accepted. :) Hopefully I won't grow too many white hairs dealing with certain characters present there...