Cars to go to Bolivia with...

glist.jpg

Land Rover Series III

You'd have alot of spare change to customise it for the task in hand too.

With the budget, LC80.
If there's enough dough i'd raise the car, fit big tires and change the final drive to a 4.56:1 unit.

With more money, and choosing from current production cars, I'd have the LC200 TDV8s like the film crew were using.

Last edited:
If you're talking 10 thousand pounds (which is about 16 thousand dollars, I believe), I'd get myself a good Jeep Cherokee 4.0 and modify it, then spend the rest on a hooker.

Or a Wrangler Sahara, with big wheels, a winch, and a Rutgers Fat Sandwich.

I'd get a G-Class.... assuming i find one that is mechanically in a good shape.

I dont know if this has been mentioned somewhere before, but wikipedia says they were given a budget of 3500 pounds.

I have no idea what that would buy in Bolivia. But I'm thinking it should have been a lot more than the heaps they bought. :p

Iraq War era Hummvees should be coming onto the market now, right? They'd be perfect for Bolivia.

no way, it?s so wide that you?ll have to chop down twice as many plants which probably gets really annoying... also the hippies won?t be pleased...

no way, it?s so wide that you?ll have to chop down twice as many plants which probably gets really annoying... also the hippies won?t be pleased...
I can't imagine driving through that very narrow pass in something as wide as a Humvee. :cry:

I can't imagine driving through that very narrow pass in something as wide as a Humvee. :cry:

No kidding - one would be in that canyon for sure!

I would probably go with a NIsaan Xterra, there's a s/c option (1st gen) that makes it very torquey. An used on could probably be had for $10k.

With more money, and choosing from current production cars, I'd have the LC200 TDV8s like the film crew were using.

you have a source for that little bit of info? because according to ih8 mud forum and some guys who were on the trip, they used a lexus lx450 being the old landcruiser 100 4.5 6 pot petrol. the same car minus the roof rack can be seen in the "passing JC" scene.

not getting narky just, you need to back up info with a source.

edit I forgot to mention, I'd take an ex comp truck, they are dirt cheap and well sorted. or any thing from the rainforest challenge.

second edit it was a 1996 which makes it an 80 series base sorry here is the ih8mud link http://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-events-expeditions/345621-bbc-top-gear-chile-bolivia-special.html

Last edited:
edit I forgot to mention, I'd take an ex comp truck, they are dirt cheap and well sorted. or any thing from the rainforest challenge.

When you said comp truck I immediately thought of this:

368940.jpg

This is the flying variant. Someone really needs to photoshop jump jet engines on to it.

I will just post what it said on side of the (shockingly cheap) S404 that took my cousin from Hamburg to Capetown: "Unimog, alles andere ist Behelf" roughly translates to: "Unimog, anything else is a makeshift solution".