General Anime Thread

I actually learned a lot of Japanese by playing Shenmue II on the Sega Dreamcast, there's a good 50 hours of dialogue in there since every single NPC speaks, after a while I started picking up stuff.

The color quality for the English language credits in Funimation's release of The Slayers is horrid.

If I had a video capture device for my computer, I'd post screenshots from my VHS set for comparison.

Thanks to whoever posted about The Sky Crawlers a few pages back, I'm just finishing Last Exile and I'm on a bit of an aircraft kick.

Also not strictly anime-related, but I just saw the first 20th Century Boys film and it was surprisingly good! The manga series is one of the best-written ones out there, so seeing a faithful live-action rendition was nice.

following up on edkwon's posting of the Gundam Unicorn trailer, the latest trailer has just been released. sadly this version doesn't have subtitles yet but plenty there to enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45DLqxREpQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
following up on edkwon's posting of the Gundam Unicorn trailer, the latest trailer has just been released. sadly this version doesn't have subtitles yet but plenty there to enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45DLqxREpQ[/YOUTUBE]

Chiaki Kuriyama: Go Go Yubari to J-Pop sensation.....ugh.

17 episodes of Valkyria Chronicles and I'm still sort of waiting for The Ride of the Valkyries to show up .

i always did enjoy the Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory mini series, it may not be completely essential viewing but i did find it fit in well between the gap of the original Gundam series and Zeta Gundam.
Also the new series is tied into Gundam ZZ? thats one of the few UC stories i've not seen, mostly since i've not heard a lot of positive things about it. I'll have to give it a try.
This is one of the great things about them doing a new UC series, makes me go back and appreciate the earlier stuff even more.
The only Gundam movie/series that truly required essential viewing of a previous one was Char's Counterattack needing the original Mobile Suit Gundam, at least the trilogy otherwise the Char-Amuro feud makes no sense. As for ZZ Gundam...the early half was pretty poorly done, they try to make it up during the second half where it was more similar to Zeta but its hard to ignore the problems and how much time they wasted. Silly comical nonsense was best done by the SD Gundam series not a main Gundam series.

Of the OVAs, 0080 is my preferred choice. It didn't have much action but it effectively managed story and character development in just 6 episodes. I didn't like 0083 very much, mostly down to the plot and the characters. Turn A Gundam is actually my favourite among them all.

The only Gundam movie/series that truly required essential viewing of a previous one was Char's Counterattack needing the original Mobile Suit Gundam, at least the trilogy otherwise the Char-Amuro feud makes no sense. As for ZZ Gundam...the early half was pretty poorly done, they try to make it up during the second half where it was more similar to Zeta but its hard to ignore the problems and how much time they wasted. Silly comical nonsense was best done by the SD Gundam series not a main Gundam series.

Agreed, Gundam ZZ was a terribly done and schizophrenic series, however it delves deeply into the Neo Zeon vs Earth Federation war that leads directly to the Gundam Unicorn plot as well as some key characters as I've mentioned before.

Also Zeta Gundam is required viewing prior to Char's Counterattack because it follows Char's attempts to sympathize with humanity and Earth and in his attempts realizes how screwed up both are, thus leading to his insane plan to drop an asteroid in Char's Counterattack 'in order to speed up the mass evacuation of humanity into space and speed up evolution into Newtypes'.

Just started watching Naruto Shippuden and I'm liking it a lot so far; it's much more serious and gritty than the original Naruto series and it's actually getting on with the story without any stupid filler arcs. :D

Too bad the English dubs only started airing last October and are coming out once a week. :(

Last edited:
Just started watching Naruto Shippuden and I'm liking it a lot so far; it's much more serious and gritty than the original Naruto series and it's actually getting on with the story without any stupid filler arcs. :D

Too bad the English dubs only started airing last October and are coming out once a week. :(

Dattebayo did fan subs up to episode 78 or so and then i think Horriblesubs and several others carried on from there, in case you want to carry on further than the dubs.

Salle at last i got time to listen all the genius party series and really that was amazing, it is exactly what i was looking for. Now i need to find something to feed my need of genius party level of good anime or Kuchu buranko crazy stuff.

watched .hack//SIGN on a whim since I briefly attempted to play the first PS2 game. Now I have to track the games down if I want continuity with the next series. D'oh!

Thanks to whoever posted about The Sky Crawlers a few pages back, I'm just finishing Last Exile and I'm on a bit of an aircraft kick.

Also not strictly anime-related, but I just saw the first 20th Century Boys film and it was surprisingly good! The manga series is one of the best-written ones out there, so seeing a faithful live-action rendition was nice.

You are welcome.

Last Exile is probably one of my favorite animes to come out in the 2000's (that isn't a continuation of Initial D) Sadly it came out against the fanboy wankfest that was Full Metal Alchemist so it quickly dropped by the wayside which is really quite sad.

If you enjoyed 20th Century Boys you should also check out Monster another fantstic manga by Urasawa

Alright, i've now finished watching both Valkyria Chronicles and Lucky star i can safely say that they both surprised me.

If you have followed this thread for a while you may have noticed i had a sort of bone to pickup with Lucky star, on the first time i watched i found it unbelievably boring, something about chocolate cornets...not interested. However when i gave it another try and went past the director's change (episode 4 unless memory fails me) i found it very good.

While i'm considered a local otaku believe you me, it doesn't take much to be considered that in these parts. Therefore i couldn't even start to count the jokes i missed during the shows run, and i still enjoy it, one i did understand is when they mock their own art style

Konata said:
Have you noticed that in a lot of recent manga and anime characters are drawn so that they look a lot younger that they really are
*Frame freezes

Valkyria Chronicles was also very...good, i can't really tell since i'm not used to seeing that kind of anime, but i thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it.

The hard part of finishing a anime, especially one as surprising or enjoyable as those two is moving on to something else, especially since i need to find something else to watch. I'm considering Azumanga Daioh as it seems very Lucky Star like. Thoughts on a Valkyria Chronicles replacement? I can't seem to think of anyone

I had the exact same sentiments about Lucky Star. I missed a lot of the references and it started off slow but it was great overall. Azumanga Daioh is a little bit less geeky, also very good. Maybe a bit slower paced as well.