General Anime Thread

Yeah, I had to suppress laughter when I saw the ad at the end. A whole bluray disk for what amounts to a regular TV episode?

if you haven't yet you people need to watch Skycrawlers.... Mamoru Oshii doing what he does best. Eye bleedingly awesome action interspersed with lots and lots of slow parts but always in an entertaining way.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvRFl0raLZc[/YOUTUBE]

and have a bit more action
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcpm1GVAiA[/YOUTUBE]

Sky Crawlers

They're making a video game of this as well for the Wii. And it's being done by Project Aces. I just wish they'd had made it for the 360, there are fans of the franchise that would kill to have a WWII based game using their engine.

PS: The Shinden is sex. One of my senior design projects involved redesigning it for racing using a 2000HP Rolls Royce Merlin. Too bad half the people in my group were morons...

Last edited:
I was looking for something to lighten the mood (the serious stuff gets to me after a while) and Hayate no Gotoku is rather hilarious, if a bit childish.

Then again, my tastes are pretty weird <_<

K-ON! Episode 14 WHOOOOOOOO!!!

Fans of the UC timeline Gundam series, new series coming out this March, basically a sequel to Char's Counterattack (took place in UC 0093) this new series takes place in UC 0097

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZS7w-7X8yQ[/YOUTUBE]

And in case knowledgable old school fans are wondering, the short blonde haired girl is Mineva Zabi, living under the alias 'Audrey', the same heir to the Zeon empire that appeared in Z Gundam and Gundam ZZ

790485703182689.jpg

UnicornGundamMinevaZabi.jpg

Last edited:
Fans of the UC timeline Gundam series, new series coming out this March, basically a sequel to Char's Counterattack (took place in UC 0093) this new series takes place in UC 0097

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZS7w-7X8yQ[/YOUTUBE]

oh fuck yes... ::dances::

Just finished watching Naruto and it was good overall, apart from all those stupid filler arcs that took up almost half of the whole series. It started out good for the first ~100 episodes then the fillers came, and it started to slowly pick up again towards the end and left me with a feeling that Shippuden will be great because Naruto will be MUCH stronger after 2 years training with Jiraiya and the show will FINALLY get on with the story without so many fillers! :D

Thing is, only the first 17 episodes of Shippuden have been released in English. How long do you think it will take to get all the episodes in English? The Japanese version didn't even finish airing yet (episode 144 is supposed to air in a couple of days).

THEY BETTER SPEED UP THE PROGRESS WITH THE ENGLISH DUB!!!! :mrgreen:

Edit: If Shipudden will run as long as Naruto (220 episodes/4 years, 4 months) then it will finish in summer 2011. Guess I'll just have to get caught up in the first 17 episodes, then watch them weekly; I guess my days of watching around 5 eps/day are over :(, oh well! :D

Last edited:
Because I watched the entire first Naruto series in English and I got used to the voice actors (which are pretty good, let's be honest), and I don't really like reading subtitles (apart from live-action movies), just takes me away from the action.

..... no, the American voice actors suck in comparison....
might not be the actors' fault might be voice direction that sucks but for as long as I've watched anime they've always been lacking.

Last edited:
I don't mind them. :)

Some dubs are passable but personally I think you get a lot more of the original content with a sub... and also learn a bit about the language and culture.

when it came to dubs, after watching a episode of One Piece that had been butchered and hacked away, then given the most stupid voice actors it was enough to put me off listening to dubs full time. if they're going to do it they should do it properly.
personally i prefer subbed because it allows me to watch the show as close to how it originally aired.

also many thanks to edkwon for posting that trailer of a new gundam series. I would watch it anyway since its Gundam but since its also set in the UC, that just makes me want to see it more.

When it comes to dubs, the only one I really liked was Cowboy Bebop. One of the few dubs I prefer over the original Japanese audio track, pretty much all the cast nailed the voices perfectly.

Part of the problem is that, by and large, the people who do dubs are not trained voice actors. It wasn't always the case - if you look at a lot of the earliest anime dubs, they used a lot of regulars from Hanna Barbera cartoons, most of which started out as radio actors. The really skilled ones do still exist, such as Frank Welker, but for some reason, they're not used.

Really, the only modern dubs that are any good are the ones of Miyazaki's films. At least there you get Hollywood acting talent.

So it seems that various forms of Gundam have been around since 1978. How important is it to watch the old ones, or is each series more or less standalone?

Cowboy bebop definitly stands out in my mind for suberp dubbing. Trigun was really good too

So it seems that various forms of Gundam have been around since 1978. How important is it to watch the old ones, or is each series more or less standalone?

off the top of my head. the first Gundam Series, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack are probably the best ones in the UC continuity. These ones follow their own particular continuity and while not exactly essential do help make it easier for the viewer to understand the bigger picture.

The UC continuity is for Universal Century and the majority of the early Gundam (MS Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F-91, Victory Gundam) shows are based around that setup. some more recent ones have followed in the UC timeline (The 08th MS Team, Gundam: Stardust Memory and Gundam: War in the Pocket).
Other shows have all been set in their own isolated continuity. For example, Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny are their own continuity. Gundam 00 Seasons 1 & 2 are in their own continuity, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Gundam: After War, Turn A Gundam or Gundam X each have their own seperate continuity.
The best ones tend to be (in my own personal opinion) the Original MS Series, Zeta Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED and Gundam 00.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Century has the list of shows that are based within the UC continuity.
while http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam will be able to cover the rest.
To the newcomer it can seem incredibly daunting and large. But each person has their own favorite Gundam shows.

Last edited: