Video Gaming Addiction

It kinda was. But act like you didn't. That's fine. You seem to only be interested in picking apart my sentences anyway.

never... I do play counter-strike (1.6/CZ) on a healthy basis and those random old school valve games (TFC, HL1) because those are the only games my computer can handle. I tried playing portal and my computer always goes BSOD after about ten minutes of runtime :sad:

however, I DO remember playing something similar like Runescape many moons ago but that shit's dead and gone

:lol: yeah, because that's exactly what I said

You didn't say anything so we have to interpret.

Dittoing the notion of not joining an MMO. I know I have addictive tendencies if certain conditions are met. I'm too afraid an MMO is a "perfect storm" for me to get caught up in. That, and I just don't have the cash for that sort of thing.

I'm perfectly happy with the Nintendo games I've been playing since I was a kid, and play today. Believe it or not, I recently have found myself way into Pok?mon, after avoiding it for the last 13 years. If it's a cute RPG (though I tend to avoid turn-based play, which is why my enjoyment of Pok?mon is such a surprise) or a simulation-type game (The Sims is DEADLY addictive to me), I play it until I am utterly spent.

I agree though w/Zesty, though. Games are always much more fun with a friend. My fianc? can Pok?mon all we like, and it's a social event. Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart: way better with at least one other person. I adore Animal Crossing, but I would have liked it so much better if you could play in your town with another person locally instead of having to go on wifi to find someone. If people have to use video games instead of normal socialization, that's not healthy. Moderation in all things, use common sense, etc. :)

This annoys me to no end. So many games can be played with anonymous person X in China but not with your best friend sitting next to you on the couch.

I have played both Eve Online and WoW and never felt any kind of feeling that i can't stop playing. I quit Eve because it was too timeconsuming and WoW because it bored me. The games that have been closest to addiction in my case was Fallout 1 and 2.

I find myself unable to enjoy games that don't have a clear end (unless they're Binary Land for NES or Gran Turismo). I like the idea of working towards a clear goal and then starting something else. I also want games to bend to my schedule, not have the games make me alter mine.

MMOs are basically everything that I don't want.

Ow please....weak people get addictions, simple as that.....I these basementdwellers that spend 20H a day logged on werent addicted to videogames they would be to something else.....

I play WoW as a timekiller, I play consolegames as a timekiller,.....I realy don't see the harm.

Since this thread has become srs biz.

I used to be able to play games for hours on end, and even played wow all day long like a moron.

I couldn't do that and stopped playing WoW altogether about 2 years ago.

I restarted it again just because a friend wanted to play, but again I can't get myself to play for more than hour on the weekend.

Games are only meant to relax and de-stress you for about an hour or so. Nothing more. If it wasn't for socializing with friends online while playing OJ box, L4D/L4D2, WC3, and others, we wouldn't have played any of the games for more than half an hour.

Yeah I play games a lot, but i've never felt addicted. I've always been bored quickly by RPG type games, and I won't play pay to play games on princliple. (I get that the reason some games are pay to play is legit, I just don't want to pay for something like that when I can play other games for free)

If I'm playing a game and i'm not enjoying it, I dump it like yesterday's garbage. I can't even imagine feeling compelled to keep playing something if i'm not liking it. Even if i'm playing a game and having some crazy fun, I can't play for more than a couple of hours straight before I get hungry or tired or reach the end of my attention span.

I don?t think some games are addictive towards some players due to the games themselves, but the social element and contacts that come with them. CS, WOW etc don?t are only sucessful because of the online-element, take them into Singleplayer (I know, you can?t in WOW - just generally spoken) and people would get bored with them really fast. Even people who don?t search for contacts and want to basically play alone find playing against other real persons much more rewarding than playing against NPCs.

Last edited:
This annoys me to no end. So many games can be played with anonymous person X in China but not with your best friend sitting next to you on the couch.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, at least with Nintendo you have to put forth the "effort" to exchange friend codes (meaning you're supposed to at least "know" them somewhat and be comfortable with having them play with you, because people do hack their Wii/DS and you might not know about it). But if I want to play a game with someone IRL - I should be able to.

I disagree, though, that people who get addicted to games are weak. It's a real and serious problem. I've lost friends to WoW because they got swallowed up by the social element of it and stopped going to school/work. Then, they stopped talking to their non-WoW friends, and it's just really sad. They became a shell of human being with no personality outside of the game. :(

I think everyone has a weakness than can make them fall into an unhealthy pattern. Knowing yourself well enough can prevent problems. I did try WoW for a week once, and like lots of people here, I got really bored with it. If I tried it longer, I might have found something about it that I liked. But I don't like having to schedule my life around a game. I know people who have their raid night on their social calendar every week. That's nuts, imho. Not my cup of tea!

Last edited:
I have an addictive personality, and I play Runescape every day. I can walk away from it at any time and not feel like I am going to freak out. On the flipside, I know some people who are on 15-16 hours a day.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I am quickly bored by MMOs.
I always get bored when I reach the max level. Up to that point it's fun to level, see your character get better, find better equipment as you go along, etc. Then it just stops being fun. Sure there are raids and ppv battles after you are max level, those are supposed to be the most fun parts, but I don't think so.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, at least with Nintendo you have to put forth the "effort" to exchange friend codes (meaning you're supposed to at least "know" them somewhat and be comfortable with having them play with you, because people do hack their Wii/DS and you might not know about it). But if I want to play a game with someone IRL - I should be able to.

I disagree, though, that people who get addicted to games are weak. It's a real and serious problem. I've lost friends to WoW because they got swallowed up by the social element of it and stopped going to school/work. Then, they stopped talking to their non-WoW friends, and it's just really sad. They became a shell of human being with no personality outside of the game. :(

I think everyone has a weakness than can make them fall into an unhealthy pattern. Knowing yourself well enough can prevent problems. I did try WoW for a week once, and like lots of people here, I got really bored with it. If I tried it longer, I might have found something about it that I liked. But I don't like having to schedule my life around a game. I know people who have their raid night on their social calendar every week. That's nuts, imho. Not my cup of tea!

That actually sounds like a really healthy way to do it. Schedule a time to get together with people you know and romp through a level. If that's what you enjoy, I don't see it as much different than going to a specific bar with a specific group of people every Friday night. But just like the bar, it becomes a problem when you are there every day.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That's classic. Blame the game. So easy, isn't it? If you get addicted to games easily and can't stop, then you're simply a weak soul. I played WoW for 3 or so years, with over 200 days played on my main character (100 on the other one) and one day I decided to stop and never really looked back. I played it mostly cos of the number of great guys in my guild (100% Norwegian - The Axemen).

Yes, because I hold the media in such high regard when it comes to news stories on video games. Or perhaps you've been grinding too many XP points between your Cheetos-stuffed ears to comprehend the dripping sarcasm that my post (and this one) were stuffed with?

Frankly, judging by how quickly you fly off the handle in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised. If you get this high and mighty every time somebody attacks your precious WoW, then 1.) I hope I never meet you in person, and 2.) you'll be dead from a rage-induced aneurysm by 35, or the time your parents finally kick you and your Coke-bottle glasses out of their basement, whichever comes first.

jump_to_conclusions.jpg

That actually sounds like a really healthy way to do it. Schedule a time to get together with people you know and romp through a level. If that's what you enjoy, I don't see it as much different than going to a specific bar with a specific group of people every Friday night. But just like the bar, it becomes a problem when you are there every day.

I can see what you mean, when you look at it that way. If you have no other time to play, it makes sense that you would schedule your play time. If someone loves it that much, more power to them. But I've known people who arrange their whole week around their raids and blow off obligations and friends IRL for it, too.

It's not the game that's the problem - it's always the doofus using it. :lol:

Back when I used to play Final Fantasy XI, I knew a few guys that had 365 (or more) days of play time. To give you an idea, at the time, the game had been out for 3 years. This is a result of 24-hour boss mob spawn windows (boss spawns once a month, during a 24 hour period, tons of guys go to the camp to wait for it, and whoever gets the first sword stroke off wins the loot basically), endgame dungeons that take an entire evening, etc.

Now, that game did have player shops to run, so people would sometimes leave their character logged in for long periods of time to sell wares to noobs (throughout the year or so I played it, there was always this one character standing in a particular area and I shit you not it was standing on the exact same pixel from the day I first logged in to the day I quit). But still.

Right now I'm playing Lord of the Rings online, and I have nearly a month of playtime. Though, I've had that game for about 3 years now.

Bottom line, people will take everything to extremes. Video games just get a lot of press about it because most of the people in the entertainment business aren't young enough to really understand video games on the whole (example, Roger Ebert's dismissal of video games as a legitimate storytelling platform, despite having admitted himself that he doesn't play them). Perception is a powerful thing, even for very intelligent people, and most people 40+ years old still perceive video games in the same light as they did when they first appeared in the arcades. In 20 years, when people born in the 90s start to become journalists and reporters, it will be less of an issue, if an issue at all.

That said, I am trying to get my dad to stop playing WoW so much.

Last edited: