iPhone / iOS Thread

Afaik, its 200Mhz more than the 3G. And yeah, twice the RAM. But what makes it better for gaming is the massivley improved GPU. Same as they built into the iPad btw.
So, mostly its about the RAM is guess.

While I get that Itouch users might be bummed, the iphone users don't have anything to complain about, IMHO.

You bought a 3G 1,5 years back? -> Congrats, you can get a 4g or HD or whatever iPhone when your contract is up -> you get multitasking
You bought a 3GS last year? -> You will have multitasking

You bought a 3G last year? -> Thats what you get for being cheap, so don't complain...

1G = ARM 11 620 MHz underclocked to 412 MHz
2G (3G 8GB) = ARM 11 620 MHz underclocked to 533 MHz
3G (S, 32GB/64GB) = ARM Cortex-A8 833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz

So the 3G 32GB/64GB Touch is 67MHz faster (with a new processor also, not just a faster ARM 11) and has twice the RAM.

I smell a lawsuit coming...false advertising maybe? If I had known the hardware is all the same, I could've even gotten the second gen 8gb, but I insisted on the latest generation for the reason that it will be the best for future updates.

Way to go, Apple!

If you would have done any kind of research before you bought it, you would have realized that it was common knowledge that the 3G 8GB touch was basically the same as the 2G.

Plus, didn't you say you were going to sell yours?

Last edited:
I laugh a little at all the complainers who say that Apple are showing them the middle finger.

Firstly, this is completely normal business practice. You stop 'supporting' older hardware to make people buy the new hardware. Why? To make money. That's sorta the way of having a business.

Secondly, the newer iPod's and the 3GS has a lot better hardware than the previous models. I don't think people have realised how big of a upgrade the 3GS was. The speed difference is more than noticeable.

Thirdly, _HighVoltage_, it's common knowledge that the 8GB ran the older hardware, so to get the newer hardware you'd need to get the 32GB+ model. Just look here:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch

It's clear as anything. Don't blame Apple when it's your own fault for being tight and not thinking it through.

Last edited:
WHAT THE FUCK, APPLE????

So my iPod Touch 3G 8gb won't support multi-tasking??? How come? It's the 3rd generation device, running the same software as the other two, and most notably the same hardware as the bigger models...the only difference is the smaller amount of RAM, but that is no excuse to exclude multi-tasking from it. I'm currently running multi-tasking because it's jailbroken and guess what - it works fine with just 128RAM!

I'm utterly pissed off right now!

(By the way, someone move this thread to the technology section, please :))

How is multi-tasking done though? Does it keep the app running in the background Blackberry style and you can close it? The problem with 4.0 multitasking and why its not being given to the older hardware is because it saves app states and runs certain services. So it will have to have alot of space for "suspend". I am somewhat curious how memory management will be implemented because you can't keep everything in RAM, eventually it will just bog down the device. I'm guessing most used apps will be saved in RAM and least in storage. Interestingly enough current memory management on iShit blows (I have a 3G) even with running one app at a time.

Not that I really needed any more but I now have another reason to go to Android.

How is multi-tasking done though? Does it keep the app running in the background Blackberry style and you can close it? The problem with 4.0 multitasking and why its not being given to the older hardware is because it saves app states and runs certain services. So it will have to have alot of space for "suspend". I am somewhat curious how memory management will be implemented because you can't keep everything in RAM, eventually it will just bog down the device. I'm guessing most used apps will be saved in RAM and least in storage. Interestingly enough current memory management on iShit blows (I have a 3G) even with running one app at a time.

Not that I really needed any more but I now have another reason to go to Android.
Keep in mind that iPhone 3G is STILL sold by Apple, making it for all intents and purposes "current" hardware. Same thing with iPod Touch 3G 8GB. There is nothing wrong with not supporting older hardware but if the hardware is still sold it is current hardware. You can list all the technical differences and all the reason for why it makes sense for them. However, the bottom line is that if the hardware is still sold by the OEM it is current hardware.

Also note that save-state multitasking doesn't take a whole lot of power, it really only requires storage space to save the state, running a song in the background is not exactly CPU intensive since built in iPod can already do it, neither is maintaining a network connection. I can tell you that I can listen to internet radio in the background on my non-jailbroken 3G simply by pointing Safari to the stream URL and having it play through the iPod. I can still play games or use other apps while its playing, funnily enough I can also pause from the lock screen.

Considering that jailbreak adds multitasking to all the devices, and that it is TRUE multitasking (with the app still running in the background) the only reason Apple is shafting older users is to make them upgrade, if you read Q&A with Jobs he makes it abundantly clear. Hell I have a work provided Blackberry that is close to 3 years old at this point and can multitask just fine.

Also as a point of interest iPhone 3G has been getting slower and slower with OS updates, when I first got it, it was a 3.0 OS (didn't wanna wait for 3GS) and I had no problem playing a video with bluetooth headphones. After 3.1 video controls wouldn't come up if the BT headphones were used. They would work with regular headphones only if I was watching the video less than 10 minutes. Forget using apps with BT and audio as well, depending on what it was it was very easy to freeze up the entire device.

Of course it's normal to drop older hardware with new software support, but Apple isn't going back very far here by only supporting the top end current generation. A device that you could go and buy brand new right now will not support the new software.

The best things I like are the folders (will make the apps WAY more organized, and you'll have space for more), and the wallpaper showing everywhere. The multi-tasking isn't such a big deal for me because most games I play just pause themselves when I exit the app for something else and resumes after I go back to it. Safari, for example, remembers the page you were on and will take you back there even after you shut the device down. Also, it works for many games like a word game and a brick breaker game I have; even after I exited the app and shut the iPod down, it still comes back to whatever level I was on without me having to start all over again.

I guess the best thing about the multi-tasking feature is that you get that taskbar for all the apps you are running, instead of actually searching for them.

For me, multitasking is actually quite a big deal. For example, I was reading a .pdf file with Aji reader for an assignment that I was doing. When I wanted to look something up, I used proswitcher and opened up safari to look up whatever I needed to look up. I then activated proswitcher again and resumed Aji reader. Had I done that with closing the app and such, it would have taken me a lot more time. Plus, even on the iPhone 3G, I didn't experience any significant slow-downs. I think multitasking that is optimized with the iPhone OS would easily run on the iPod Touch 2G and iPhone 3G. Doesn't matter anyways since a developer has already found a way to enable multitasking on the older devices.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/04/iphone-os-40-hack-enables-multitasking-iphone-3g.html

If you would have done any kind of research before you bought it, you would have realized that it was common knowledge that the 3G 8GB touch was basically the same as the 2G.

Plus, didn't you say you were going to sell yours?

Well, I'm definitely going to sell it now. Yes, maybe I should've done more research, but you have to admit it was a marketing trick - why the hell did they "release" it in September 2009 as a "new" 3G ipod, if in fact there was nothing new about it, except for the OS?

Thirdly, _HighVoltage_, it's common knowledge that the 8GB ran the older hardware, so to get the newer hardware you'd need to get the 32GB+ model. Just look here:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch

It's clear as anything. Don't blame Apple when it's your own fault for being tight and not thinking it through.

It was not common knowledge when I bought in October just one month after its release. The website looked different then, and it didn't say that the 32 and 64gb had faster performance. It was advertised as the new Third Generation iPod Touch available with 8, 32, and 64gb. I guess I was one of the first tricked to buy what turned out to be an old product with just a new name.

And I understand your logic that manufacturers stop supporting old hardware so that customers can buy the new one, but come on - this 3G Ipod Touch 8gb was released in September 2009 - it has barely been six months and it's already obsolete!

One thing is certain for me though - I'm never buying an Apple product again.

I knew that the 8 GB iPod Touch 3G was essentially the same as the old one before it even came out. I will admit though that Apple aren't really clear on it as they should be, but this a lot of people knew it before hand. Having that said, I do think its quite ridiculous, considering they still sell the hardware that they consider "obsolete".

Well, I'm definitely going to sell it now. Yes, maybe I should've done more research, but you have to admit it was a marketing trick - why the hell did they "release" it in September 2009 as a "new" 3G ipod, if in fact there was nothing new about it, except for the OS?.

Yes, and you swallowed the bait. Tough luck. Do better research next time instead of blaming others. Enjoy. ;)

Yes, and you swallowed the bait. Tough luck. Do better research next time instead of blaming others. Enjoy. ;)

So you are admitting it was a bait laid by Apple, and yet you are defending Apple and their unscrupulous and unethical marketing policies.

Unlike you, I do a lot of research before I buy a product.
That is very much beside the point. If something is marketed as the "new" product even if it has old internals it should not be dropped from support until that product is no longer sold. I mean dude think about this [hypothetically], Audi introduces the new B8 models with 1.8 and 2.0 engines. The 1.8 is just a B7 with a face lift and a B8 actually has different chassis. Then say Audi announces an HD radio upgrade for free or a nominal fee to all the B8 owners, but says that only 2.0 and above engined vehicles will be able to use it. How fast do you think Audi would end up in court over this?

Apple on the other hand gets away with just about anything. This is an unscrupulous business practice and you can say that you have to do research until you are blue in the face but it won't make it any less unethical on Apple's side.*

*Especially considering that Apple focuses on making/marketing products that ANYONE can use. They are basically screwing over the non-technically inclined people that they cater to.

Exactly.

ahdapt, I usually do a lot of research as well. Laptops, mobile phones, cameras, cars - I've been really careful choosing each one.

So did I manage to screw up with the iPod? I'll say it again - false advertising. It was advertised as a brand new product with new features and software. And as we already discussed it was just the old product with the new software.
Can anyone think of another company that does things like that? I can't.

Clearly you should've never bought it in the first place then. This isn't the first occasion of you having complaints about X or Y.

You make it sound like I'm complaining about everything. It's not about X or Y...I haven't complained about other technological pieces, all my complaints are about the iPod Touch.

Jailbroke my 3G, proSwitcher + backgrounder == fuck you Jobs and your artificial restrictions. I can report it being no slower than usual

What did you use - blackra1n?