Volvo S80 1.6 DRIVe tested by Top Gear

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Large%20Image%20(optional).jpg

Source: TopGear.com

Reading through an old issue of TopGear (September 2004, issue 132), I noticed the stats for a few Volvos back then that helped me confirm a point I'd suspected was true anyway: the little 1.6-litre diesel engine in this S80 puts out a useful amount of torque.

The old S80 2.4S 170bhp (petrol) of 2004 developed 170lb ft of torque compared with this 1.6's 177lb ft. The 2.0T S petrol back then put out 177lb ft too. OK, they weren't quick, but it shows how the game has moved on. A modern, small-capacity diesel does the business for twist.

That's not to say this S80 isn't a slug. It is a bit. It not-rockets from 0 to 62mph in 12.4secs. But how fast do you want to accelerate these days anyway? You'll soon be stopped by the next traffic jam or light. So think instead about the combined fuel economy figure of 62.8mpg - 60mpg is very achievable on a light throttle - and the potential range of 800 miles on a single tank. Enjoy the space and refinement of this big car and revel in a low lease rate and the tax benefits of a clean 129g/km. It's not thrilling, but it makes a lot of sense, and it's only a few grand more than an equivalent Mondeo.

The S80 DrivE is an attractive proposition: it's refined, it rides well and it has a simple and solid Scandinavian elegance inside which makes driving it all the more of a pleasure. And it's beautifully made and finished. It doesn't need to be sporty, so it isn't. Fine.

Bill Thomas

Performance: 0-62mph in 12.4secs, max speed 118mph, 57.7mpg
Tech: 1560cc, 4cyl, FWD, 107bhp, 177lb ft, 1586kg, 129g/km CO2

Okay, 12 seconds to 62mph is painfully slow, but 60 UK Mpg/50 US Mpg is quite an achievement for a large sedan.

The question is...who would actually buy it? The 1.6 DRIVe makes sense in C30 and S40, maybe even in the new S60. But the S80 is the executive saloon. People who buy this sort of car want POWEER, even if they don't actually use it.
So who is the target market here?

Considering this is the BMW 5-series rival and BMW's got a 520d with 177hp, I'd say this Volvo's got its target quite defined.

So, Volvo makes a new 1.6 diesel for their executive car and Audi makes a new 6.3 W12... A tad different direction, really?

Small engine + big car = not great real-world fuel economy because you have to thrash the engine to get going (as demonstrated on Top Gear by Jeremy with the Skoda Roomster).

Considering this is the BMW 5-series rival and BMW's got a 520d with 177hp, I'd say this Volvo's got its target quite defined.

107hp...

So, Volvo makes a new 1.6 diesel for their executive car and Audi makes a new 6.3 W12... A tad different direction, really?
Audi = awesome
(new) Volvo = awful

Last edited:
Small engine + big car = not great real-world fuel economy because you have to thrash the engine to get going (as demonstrated on Top Gear by Jeremy with the Skoda Roomster).

Was the Skoda a diesel, I don't remember? Diesel engines don't really care if you thrash them.

But I have to agree, Volvo are getting very boring and slow again. If I recall correctly, British_Rover mentioned something that they are dropping the 3.2 V8 soon...

What happened to having family station wagons with 220hp just because you can?

Where did you rip that number from?

i dont know, but he's pretty much on the money

that 1.6 is a ford-psa unit and in its typical trim is 110 PS.... and 177 for torque. i think it can be had with 192lb-ft , but the power remains much the same. so he is right

107hp and 177 lb ft aren't bad for a 1.6. But not in a s80.

I would totally drive a C30 1.6 DRIVe with the manual gearbox... if I were back in Europe.

Was the Skoda a diesel, I don't remember? Diesel engines don't really care if you thrash them.

But I have to agree, Volvo are getting very boring and slow again. If I recall correctly, British_Rover mentioned something that they are dropping the 3.2 V8 soon...

4.4 liter V8 and yes they are. It won't be around by this time next year and honestly they don't need it with the new T6 making 300 hp and 325 ft-lbs of torque. It makes the same torque as the out going V8 and only 11 hp less with better mileage. Yeah the T6 doesn't sound as mean but it costs much, much less to make and has lower warranty costs too.

Yes, it was a diesel.

As others have said: I would totally rock a v50 DRIVe, but s80? I don't think so...

Last edited:
Yes, it was a diesel.

To add to that it was a 3-cyl diesel.
Gigantic fail.

This engine in a smaller Volvo might be OK.
But this majestic boat of the roads needs more power.

Last edited:
[...] But the S80 is the executive saloon. People who buy this sort of car want POWEER, even if they don't actually use it.
So who is the target market here?
Companies. 2/3 of the cars in that class are sold to companies (here at least) - they make their buying desicions differently from private people. That V80 stays under the magical 130 g/km CO2 ... in germany, that Volvo will cost companies roughly 40 euros less per year in taxes compared to the 520d. Add in savings on purchase and the warm cuddly feeling of the illusion of saving the planet ... and there?s your market.

Last edited:
I sort of understand this, all of the DRIVe models are made for pure economy and low CO2 output.
In markets where CO2 output is punished heavily (Holland for example) I can understand a CEO wanting a big barge but at the same time be perceived as green and eco hippie

besides, it's not like they'll be stealing BMW/Merc/Audi customers, they would not get an S80 in the first place since they care so much about the badge