Votes: 29 32.2%
  • No, but I want to/plan on doing it

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • No, not allowed

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
i wouldn't mind giving blood but i have a phobia of needles that causes me to pass out. can't watch shows like Casualty, holby City, ER or scrubs because once the needle is about to go through the skin i'm out for the count.
on the other hand they could go ahead and show me the needle, i pass out then they can proceed to take as much as they want...

I'd love to, but because of my frequent trips to India, I am unable to.

One more and I get a badge!
lol. At 25 Donations here, you get an actual medal to wear on your uniform/suit ...
BS25.gif

I just looked into my red-cross blood donation pass, and the last time for me was 2005. 5 Years already ... I used to there go once a year ... but then there were some reports about stuff going wrong at the red cross concerning blood-donations and the profit they made with them. And I haven?t been going since.

i'm willing to, but they don't accept my THC-infested juices...

I hate Red Cross. I've given to them about a dozen times and they frequently do it wrong. They've made me pass out twice, and the last time they managed to bleed me into my own arm. I was sick for 2 days after that. So I've stopped giving to them. Carter Blood Center, OTOH, is always great and they never hassle you to give blood as you walk by. I much prefer them.

Fuck the Red Cross. DON'T GIVE THEM THE SWEAT OFF YOUR BALLS! I have seen and heard some shit that organization does. They are not a good organization.

Thread necrophillia!

Just came back from giving for the 4th time. One more and I get a badge!

Achievement unlocked! 5x -0.45l of blood +2 days off work!

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2010/05/20/Red_Cross_gas.jpg

You get free holidays for donation blood??

Fuck the Red Cross. DON'T GIVE THEM THE SWEAT OFF YOUR BALLS! I have seen and heard some shit that organization does. They are not a good organization.
You're going to need some serious sauce to back that up.

+2 days off work!

Why 2 days off work?

And I need to book my 4th session soon :p I'm leaving it until after exams, which is actually only a week after my designated date. And all our blood goes to the NHS not the Red Cross, whether they're good or bad.
And the UK system has a load of things you get through your donation life, and you get a badge for 50. Currently I'm on the red card, and I have a keyring (mine is Purple :D Which is for AB-).

Book? Here you get an invitation with locations, you just show up. And you get 2 days off, cause you're missing a half litre of blood, duh! :p Spicysaurus says the red cross made her faint, it's not that, it's the blood loss.

I would give blood but i have heard too many horror stories off friends of the nurses being incompetant, and when i was in hospital recently i really did notcie how incompetant they are, they had to take blood samples from me at regular intervals and they failed at taking a blood sample correctly, they could never find a blood vessel, despite me having very obvious veins, and even when they did manage to hit a vessel, they had the needle at the wrong angle to the blood came out all clotted and useless. ahpadt still has a picture of my arm somewhere after they covered it in bruises.

EDIT, i reread that and i sound like giving blood is a bad thing. I will rephrase, I would give blood, but from past experiences I am too scared to give out half a litre of blood if it isnt removed in such a way that it cant be used.

Last edited:
It wasn't loss of blood that made me faint, it was the incompetence of the techs taking it. I've given blood at Carter more than 20 times and never fainted. The 2 with Red Cross were once because they guy had so much trouble hitting my vein that he had the needle completely buried in my arm (if you've give blood you know that needle is about 2 inches long and is barely supposed to penetrate the skin) and I went into mild shock. The second was when they managed to open my vein without having the needle completely inside it and I bled into my own muscle tissue instead of the bag. The bruise the next day reached from my shoulder to my wrist.

The Red Cross also hassles passers-by to try to make them donate. If a person says no, the techs should leave them alone. They have no idea what health issues that individual is dealing with, and nobody deserves to be accosted in the street.

Like I said, choose Carter. Competent, polite, and very respectful.

NHS does it here (well in the UK should I say). They used to send a truck around to work. You get a cup of sweet
tea and a biscuit - then back to work.

Oh and they never harass you.

Last edited:
^^ Ouch; sounds nasty. I've heard bad stories from a few mates as well, but fortunately I've never had any bad ones (although I've only given 3 times, so have my mates, and they had bad experiences...). And there is never anyone on the street outside the place telling you to give blood. Its also not necessarily clear where the entrance is (no massive signs etc) - my place is in a church hall.

^ Yup. And my mate said her bad experiences were always in the trucks, and the other places are fine. And I'd rather get it done somewhere I like after work for example rather than in a truck at work. And I forgot about the cup of tea/juice (I don't like tea) and the buscuits. Do you get those Ice? :p

2 Days off for giving blood? Bugger off you pussys :p Here its only an informal excuse if your superiors are willing to accept it. Sure I feel tired after giving blood, and its often been on a school night, and I feel absolutely fine after a sleep. Man up! (Although if those days off are paid, then I guess you have an excuse. However lacking a pint of blood is not it!)

And you are also 'invited' as such here. They give you a date and automatically book you in for it, but when I last went their computer system was down, and I need a different date to the one they gave me. You can change it if you want, and just turn up if you want, but theres no guarantee they'll have space for you right away (the place I go to has 5 beds, and with it taking 5-10 minutes per person, plus a few more to get them on/off the bed and all the cleaning your arm etc).

Last edited:
Even though I hate needles (one of the few things I'm scared of) I tried to give blood two times, both times it wasn't successfull so I didn't do it again. What good is it to overcome a fear if I don't get the reward (helping another person - not having a day off or get cake or something) anyway?

My blood is so full of awesome no organisation can handle it .

*ducks*

I will say this: the screening is stupid (at least in the US). They ask about gay sex and tattoos, because somehow this means you have HIV and hepatitis. Yet they test all blood before giving it to someone, so I don't get the point of the screening questions.

And you get 2 days off, cause you're missing a half litre of blood, duh!
"Duh"? Here, you give your blood in the middle of the day, get some orange juice and cookies and then go straight back to work. You Slovenians must be a bunch of sissies next to us Canadian lumberjack ninjas :p

They ask about gay sex and tattoos, because somehow this means you have HIV and hepatitis.
Tattoos are a very real concern for infection. I don't really want to talk about the other thing (but logic should tell you why it's an obvious question)

Yet they test all blood before giving it to someone, so I don't get the point of the screening questions.
It's a bit (read: a lot) cheaper to ask questions than to spend time and expensive supplies and equipment screening someone who doesn't meet basic criteria. C'mon, it's basic logic. I am disappoint.

Last edited: