Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Canon and Panasonic are definitely consistantly the tops in the compact game. They both have their own quirks though. With Panasonics, unless you go with a budget hardly and zoom one (and why would you), you only get intelligent auto unless you go with the LX3 (which basically has no zoom power at all so it's not a great choice for someone wanting only one camera) - intelligent auto lets you set maximum values but it certainly is not full manual control. With Canon I believe all the high zoom SX cameras have manual control, as well as the premo S90 and G series, beyond that I think nothing else has anything more than program mode. Anyways, manual control might not be a big deal to you.

Other things are that Canons tend to process the pictures more, like the contrast curves are higher so the lights and darks can tend to be clippy and Canons always seem to have lots of in camera sharpening. Panasonic is less agressive on processing and noise reduction (ie. more noise in the end jpgs at higher ISO speeds, but with that more detail is kept versus Canon's smudgy as hell but relatively noise free images). And some canons won't optically zoom during video recording (uber lame) but they stopped doing that and have optical zoom available again during video on newer models. And Panasonic's lenses are wider angle than everyone else's but Canon gets more on the long end. Also Panasonic does a neat trick with making the sensor actually larger than the image circle so that you can change your aspect ratio (4:3, 3:2, 16:9) and keep the same angle of view and resolution by not using all the pixels of the sensor all the time.

So, anyways, I'd say you should look at a Panny ZS7/5 (or the ZR3 if you only want 8Xs instead of 12).

/rambling

I do it accidentally a lot. I hit backspace a lot though. But Oxford English Dictionary doesn't say that lense is an acceptable spelling of lens, therefore it's not english. :x

The Oxford English dictionary.. IS the English language.

Is this such an interesting important topic?

Yes.

You must be new to the Internet :p

I just wanted to apply my common sense to it. To put it this way: if we'd have and FG meeting with the photographers around here would we sit and discuss about how lens is spelled? Yes we would if the meeting would get really boring but otherwise I don't think so.

-prepares self for a lot of arguments-

I just wanted to apply my common sense to it. To put it this way: if we'd have and FG meeting with the photographers around here would we sit and discuss about how lens is spelled? Yes we would if the meeting would get really boring but otherwise I don't think so.

-prepares self for a lot of arguments-

No, but this isn't an FG meeting with photographers, so I decided I may as well bring it up.

This isn't the Important Thoughts... [Photographic Edition] thread, this is Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]. :p

To camera stores and manufacturers: STOP REFERRING TO 35MM CROP FRAME LENSES AS FRICKING WIDE ANGLES!!!

so, quick question here:

can anybody give me a very good reason why i should NOT get myself a panasonic dmc-fz38?
i am not a terribly advanced photographer but i do want to extend my knowledge of the subject and have a bit of fun with it. also, my current p&s-cam sucks balls - big time!

edit: i mean this one right here:
fz38_vlitztop_kl.jpg

Last edited:
If you want it because you think it'll give you better pictures, then don't waste your money.

If you want it because it has more gizmos and a SUPAR-MEGA-ULTRA-HOLY-CRAPOLA-ZOOM!!!111, then sure.

If you want it because you think it'll give you better pictures, then don't waste your money.

If you want it because it has more gizmos and a SUPAR-MEGA-ULTRA-HOLY-CRAPOLA-ZOOM!!!111, then sure.

well if i was looking for the zoom, then i could definitely do better :p
read some reviews and for the money you pay for this thing it seems to be quite good.
plus, yes, i sure like meself a shitload of gizmo-power :lol:

... off to the "new toys"-thread then :burnrubber:

My advice (even though it is a bit late I see from the other thread) is to get a DSLR. I really don't see the point in bridge cameras - they are too bulky to be easy used, and not good enough to rival a DSLR (I know they're supposed to be a convienience, but they're too much of a comprosmise for me). I upgraded from a crappy P&S to a 2nd hand DSLR, then later got a Lumix TZ7. So I've got full features of an SLR plus ease of use of a decent small camera (and it is very decent the TZ range).

I pretty much agree.

It has the worst of both worlds in a sense; bulkiness of a DSLR, lack of ability to upgrade of a compact.

I would have to see the specs and price compared to an entry level DSLR to give a truly informed opinion, but my guess is a DSLR (even a used one) would be a wiser choice in the long run. Or a high spec compact .

Ok photo nuts, I needs your help. My old ass Polaroid PDC640 has died(yes I know it was ancient when it was 2 years old), and I need a new camera. Nothing fancy or super high megapixel, the only thing I would insist on is image stabilization and cost about $100. Any decent cameras that you know of that fit those guidelines?