Autoblog: Your new Chevy Volt, only $41,000

While still a bit more expensive, I'd much prefer a base spec Volt over a top spec Prius.

But is it still even a $33,500 car? Also bearing in mind you pay $41,000 up front, and then get that rebate later.

For the early adopters yes I think it will be. They are always willing to pay well above market value for anything. The 350 lease is very enticing too. My commute is 22.7 miles one way and I would have a place to plug it in at work so during a normal work week I would use no gas at all. I wouldn't buy one because I get a free car for work and if I was looking to save gas I would just get a motorcycle again. I am not the norm though. I am sure there are lots of people who could take serious advantage of that kind of vehicle.

With the Leaf that 100 mile range means that if you needed to take a trip after work to somewhere besides home and you don't have a charging station at work then you are screwed. It better be a short trip and you better have a less then 25 miles one way communte.

Old ppl in North America are just going to gobble this shit up regardless of the price.
I'm talking the oldies who already go out and buy a top-spec Impala, Malibu, Gran Marquis, Lucerne, Milan, etc...

Old ppl in North America are just going to gobble this shit up regardless of the price.
I'm talking the oldies who already go out and buy a top-spec Impala, Malibu, Gran Marquis, Lucerne, Milan, etc...

As long as they don't ask for "the Landau top" to go along with it. I saw a new Sonata with one of those a few days ago.

You could hear my retching for miles....

As long as they don't ask for "the Landau top" to go along with it. I saw a new Sonata with one of those a few days ago.

You could hear my retching for miles....

And I thought me seeing one on the new Malibu was bad.....

Can you comment on the interior? My brother and I sat in a variety of new GM cars at an auto show recently and came out disappointed with the interiors relative to competitors. We're worried the Volt will fall victim to the same problem.

Interior fit and finish is good, I'd say above average for GM, average for competitors. It seemed like a better put together malibu inside, with slightly better materials.

EDIT: it's certainly much better than the prius.