The Ultimate macOS Thread

Ever since the move to NT for the consumer OS Windows has been pretty solid.

This. Windows XP/2000 was a breath of fresh air compared to the horror show that was Windows 9X for home users.

Especially since right beforehand we were treated to that steaming pile that was ME. :rolleyes:

Just kill & restart the X server :lol: reboots are the work of satan Bill Gates.

On some hardware X had a talent to fuck up the graphics card that much it won't provide a clear picture again without a power cycle.

All I wanted to do was 'get info' on a simple JPEG, and this is what I saw for five full minutes before just doing a cold reboot:
That looks like a finder crash. Did you try cmd + space to launch Spotlight, then find and start the activity viewer (or whatever it's called in English), then kill the finder process? I've had to do that occasionally.

In my experience, Parallels 4 often makes a reboot mandatory.

That looks like a finder crash. Did you try cmd + space to launch Spotlight, then find and start the activity viewer (or whatever it's called in English), then kill the finder process? I've had to do that occasionally.

You can just press ALT+CMD+ESC to get a "kill process" window.

I'll keep that in mind guys, thanks. I didn't think OS X had a CTRL-Shift-ESC equivalent since it's supposed to be oh so stable.

On another note, I just got Skype 5.0 beta for Mac. It seems like quite an improvement over the old one so far.

It's on the drop down from the apple menu, "force quit".
In my experience there is a mac equivalent for everything that windows comes with except MSPaint.
I do miss MSPaint, but then again they kind of ruined everything I loved about it on win7 anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :(

It's on the drop down from the apple menu, "force quit".
In my experience there is a mac equivalent for everything that windows comes with except MSPaint.
I do miss MSPaint, but then again they kind of ruined everything I loved about it on win7 anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :(

http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net/

Apart from this it's the other way 'round: Most things we know "from Windows" like the Copy/Cut/Paste keyboard shortcuts were actually in the "Classic" MacOS before Microsoft adapted them to Windows.

I'll keep that in mind guys, thanks. I didn't think OS X had a CTRL-Shift-ESC equivalent since it's supposed to be oh so stable.

OS X itself is based on BSD, one of the most mature, stable and developed operation systems ever. This is why even if things go horribly wrong, you can still re-start the Finder with a keyboard shortcut and continue working without rebooting, even without losing data.

Last edited:
OS X itself is based on BSD, one of the most mature, stable and developed operation systems ever. This is why even if things go horribly wrong, you can still re-start the Finder with a keyboard shortcut and continue working without rebooting, even without losing data.

Fantastic.

To be fair, you can also do this with Windows with no ill effects. In fact, if an application does manage to take down Windows Explorer (rare but it happens), often times it'll restart automatically for you. :)

On another note, I just got Skype 5.0 beta for Mac. It seems like quite an improvement over the old one so far.

I hate it, why does the window has to be so big? What was wrong with a small simple window I could just put on the corner of my display?

I hate it, why does the window has to be so big? What was wrong with a small simple window I could just put on the corner of my display?

I thought they fixed that after netbook people complained....that was my biggest annoyance about skype.

[URL]http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net/[/url]

Apart from this it's the other way 'round: Most things we know "from Windows" like the Copy/Cut/Paste keyboard shortcuts were actually in the "Classic" MacOS before Microsoft adapted them to Windows.

Indeed, but the same can be said for killing and restarting "explorer.exe" in Windows :p

I think that most problems on any OS can be solved without a reboot, but very often, it's just the simplest and easiest method, rather than wasting time diagnosing the issue. Working in tech support it's a hell of a lot easier to say "reboot the PC" than "open the task manager and kill all extra instances of WINWORD.exe"

I haven't had to restart my MacBook because something crapped out in months! It's been epically reliable since Snow Leopard actually...

http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net/

I do not count that or any other of the third party supposed mspaint replacements as they all suck for pixel art sorts of things, hence why win7 mspaint also sucks. Yes, I have tried all of them and don't really like any of them.

Because it's been unified, everything is now in one window and so it's bigger.

For some programs I don't mind like iPhoto or iTunes, no need to have 20 windows opened for that.

For a program like Skype, it's useless, all it does is take all the screen when you're using it. I never only use Skype so that's a huge pain in the ass.

The same goes with the new Xcode, everything is in one big ass window... Which doesn't suit my way of working inside it. My dev setup consists of the main display with all the code, an old iMac showing me the documentation for quick reference through ScreenRecycler and the MacBook display to show me all the logs and usually Interface builder and the iPhone simulator. That's a setup I like and I'm really not looking forward working on Xcode 4 so far.

/unified window programs rant

Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess. I really prefer it overall to the old one though.

Also, guess this is as good a place to ask as any... my MacBook Pro 13-inch is getting pretty piss poor battery life. I can Skype for maybe an hour and a bit on full charge... does the webcam use so much juice? I didn't buy an MBP for the long battery life, but they advertise like 7 hours and so I'd expect something remotely close at least.