Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Am I the only one who thinks that "Sonic" is the most stupid name for a small car in years? I'd take Aveo over it anyday...

If you've ever ridden in one of GM's small cars, it makes perfect sense.

The road and wind noise is deafening. The anemic little motor screaming in agony doesn't help either.

The road and wind noise is deafening. The anemic little motor screaming in agony doesn't help either.

Yikes, but that is a good point about having the proper name. I think they should name there next small car the "Chevrolet Waterboard."

A car should only be named sonic if it can actually approach the speed of sound.

or shaped like a hedgehog.

:lol: I remember chuckling at this when I was looking up reviews of my car:

Edmunds/Inside Line 1996 Saturn SW road test said:
As a result, Spring Hill is overrun with Saturn cars. Until last year, these cars were among the noisiest vehicles in production, in terms of decibels invading the interior of the car. Wind up the engine, and break out the Advil - a Saturn car could quickly induce a migraine. Saturn thoughtfully provided a circa-1991 sedan to drive for comparison to the new powertrain, and my head is still pounding.

Although i've gotten used to it, the author's 110% correct! :p

I don't care how off topic we are, you can't be posting sonic songs without this:

You must spread some more badass 90's videogame songs before giving it to thevictor390 again

I believe this is the one I watched as a kid

So anyone remember that little dent someone made in my Grand Prix a few weeks ago? Finally had time to meet with the insurance guy about it today. It went well and he was very nice and helpful. They're going to pay out $1080 and some change and give me a rental car for 5 days while it's being fixed. Hurrah.

Probably going to do it in January since this is bad timing what with all the traveling I'll be doing in the next month. Apparently there's a nice shop in town so I might not need your contact.

So, my town is beginning a crackdown on people who fail to yield to horses.

This would seem to be reasonable in any rural town, but my town is in the suburbs! However, like most New England towns, it used to be a rural farm town, 25 years ago! So of course we have a few small "farms" that are nothing more than glorified pumpkin-stands/empty fields that have a few horses.

This crackdown, however was caused by one asshat in particular. The asshat in question makes it a regular practice to take his horse out for a ride. He does this everyday, on one of the narrowest, windiest, busiest roads in town. Not only that but he only goes during morning rush hour. Then the asshat wonders why people tear past him, blast their horns at him, and shout obscenities at him.

So he has been regularly writing letters to the local papers and the police department to enforce decades-old laws for him. Now they're granting Mr Asshat's wish.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this guy was making such a fuss about these incidents when they could have just been avoided by staying off certain roads at certain times. I actually used to ride horses, and I never went on busy roads during rush hour. Hell I never was on any road for any real distance.

Just another case of people lacking common sense and making one big mess.

I actually used to ride horses, and I never went on busy roads during rush hour. Hell I never was on any road for any real distance.
Shit, my understanding is that riding on pavement is actually bad for the horse in the long run.

Rain around here makes my car cleaner than before :blink:

Makes my truck cleaner here too.

Just goes to show how polluted the LA basin is. Protip: Next time the natives tell you about a place called the valley of smoke, don't build a city there.

Maybe you guys just have really dirty cars, eh? :p

But yeah, it's bad news - I don't even live or go anywhere inland.

So, my town is beginning a crackdown on people who fail to yield to horses.

This would seem to be reasonable in any rural town, but my town is in the suburbs! However, like most New England towns, it used to be a rural farm town, 25 years ago! So of course we have a few small "farms" that are nothing more than glorified pumpkin-stands/empty fields that have a few horses.

This crackdown, however was caused by one asshat in particular. The asshat in question makes it a regular practice to take his horse out for a ride. He does this everyday, on one of the narrowest, windiest, busiest roads in town. Not only that but he only goes during morning rush hour. Then the asshat wonders why people tear past him, blast their horns at him, and shout obscenities at him.

So he has been regularly writing letters to the local papers and the police department to enforce decades-old laws for him. Now they're granting Mr Asshat's wish.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this guy was making such a fuss about these incidents when they could have just been avoided by staying off certain roads at certain times. I actually used to ride horses, and I never went on busy roads during rush hour. Hell I never was on any road for any real distance.

Just another case of people lacking common sense and making one big mess.
They shoot horses, don't they?

Not actually advocating shooting horse.

I think I have decided that my town seems to have rare cars that you don't see often because nothing seems to rust here. My car hasn't even looked like it will rust where the primer is exposed.

I attest this to seeing many classic classic cars in great condition (original blue/gold and black/gold plates too). A while ago I spotted a very old 50s or 60s Volvo driven by an older lady with Black/Gold plates. Yesterday I saw: 4D Chevy Nova with no rust driving around, Volkswagen Pickup, old Ford Trucks from the 50's, old Chevys from the 50s, etc. It is pretty mild here so apparently rust is something that doesn't happen to the cars here.

Also, I've been seeing a bunch of BMW 5 series either with replaced body parts or smashed up front ends. Hm.