Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Fucking Honda.

\snipped tale of woe/

fuckyouuuuuuuuuuuuuu

You know, many people actually, I don't know, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS before working on their car. If you had, you would know that the 06 Accord is one of those wonderful cars you have to remove the rear bumper skin on to get the rear taillights out. To quote one forum poster:
Here's the thing. The tail lights are connected by the bumper so you have to take the bumper off. Once you do, there are screws holding the tailights in place by a black metal piece. If you guys take the screws from inside the trunk first, you might wonder why they're not moving...that's the reason. There's a metal piece that's attached to the bumper and you have to take the bumper off. Hope that helps.

Here's an instructional video.

Congratulations, you failed to RTFM or UTFG and thereby created your own pit of misery. :p Mind, this isn't the greatest taillight design I've ever seen, but there are far worse out there.

Last edited:
fog lights on a MkIII golf for instance, they detach themselves from the car! very convenient...

[video=youtube;nXCZ2v-nIF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4[/video]

Last edited:
Yep, the Megane related Versa was a pain to get to any bulb as well. Only had to replace the taillamp once, have to remove the interior back panels and the entire taillamp assembly to get to bulb.

I wanted to ask you guys, what do you think is the maximum one could drive per day?

I've got 2,000km and about 20 hours of driving to do to get me home - going at it solo, doing it in one run is out of the question. But I can't decide if I want to spend one night on the road or play it safe and stay two nights on the road.

I'm looking at almost 900km on day 1 to get me to Redding in Northern California, which would leave about 1,200km to Vancouver. I'm guessing 1,200km/12 hours would be really pushing it for one day of solo driving, but then again I don't want to stay a second night on the road and pay for an extra night of accommodation and only have 500km/5 hours to do on the third day.

I wanted to ask you guys, what do you think is the maximum one could drive per day?

I've got 2,000km and about 20 hours of driving to do to get me home - going at it solo, doing it in one run is out of the question. But I can't decide if I want to spend one night on the road or play it safe and stay two nights on the road.

I'm looking at almost 900km on day 1 to get me to Redding in Northern California, which would leave about 1,200km to Vancouver. I'm guessing 1,200km/12 hours would be really pushing it for one day of solo driving, but then again I don't want to stay a second night on the road and pay for an extra night of accommodation and only have 500km/5 hours to do on the third day.

When i drove from Phoenix AZ to Worcester MA (2700ish miles) I did it in 3 days and drove about 12-13 hours for the first 2 days (az to amarillo then amarillo to st. louis) and then just did the whole last leg in about 20 straight. I had originally planned on stopping and sleeping a 3rd night somewhere between Bufallo and Rochester but i felt plenty awake by the time i hit that streach and just kept on driving all through the night into the next morning on the last leg mostly because i just wanted to get home. I never really had any issues with falling asleep or anything like that stocked up on soda and stack food while driving and ate atleast one real sit down meal a day. The one thing that i would have done different is force myself to wake up earlier and stop driving earlier so instead of driving from 10am till 11 or 12 at night i would have been driving from 7 or 8am until 9ish. That way i would have spent more time driving in the day light.

EDIT: will say that i listened to a lot and i do mean A LOT of comedy albums during the evening time. I find that music would make me kinda zone out while comedy kept me awake and alert. During the day i relied on a lot of local radio stations for news and weather. Apprently i was following right behind one of the worst ice storms to hit the southwest in quite some time (this was dec 06) so being alert on slushy highways at night was really really important.

Last edited:
So I've been looking at what's happenin' at the Detroit Auto Show. I noticed that the new little Prius has bizarre headlights.

07-toyota-prius-c-concept-1294686682.jpg

Didn't feel like making a topic though, because I really don't give a shit about it.

When i drove from Phoenix AZ to Worcester MA (2700ish miles) I did it in 3 days and drove about 12-13 hours for the first 2 days (az to amarillo then amarillo to st. louis) and then just did the whole last leg in about 20 straight. I had originally planned on stopping and sleeping a 3rd night somewhere between Bufallo and Rochester but i felt plenty awake by the time i hit that streach and just kept on driving all through the night into the next morning on the last leg mostly because i just wanted to get home. I never really had any issues with falling asleep or anything like that stocked up on soda and stack food while driving and ate atleast one real sit down meal a day. The one thing that i would have done different is force myself to wake up earlier and stop driving earlier so instead of driving from 10am till 11 or 12 at night i would have been driving from 7 or 8am until 9ish. That way i would have spent more time driving in the day light.

EDIT: will say that i listened to a lot and i do mean A LOT of comedy albums during the evening time. I find that music would make me kinda zone out while comedy kept me awake and alert. During the day i relied on a lot of local radio stations for news and weather. Apprently i was following right behind one of the worst ice storms to hit the southwest in quite some time (this was dec 06) so being alert on slushy highways at night was really really important.

Nice, thanks for the input.

It's kind of the same thing for me... I'm thinking the urge to get home and get the whole thing over with will give me a bit of extra energy on the last leg, making it pointless to sleep a second night just to do 5 hours on the third day.

As for entertainment, I've got plenty of episodes of The 404 podcast to keep me entertained. It's a bit comedy, a bit tech news... just shooting the shit as it were. And it's got a bunch of people so there isn't one single voice to bore you to death. I was initially thinking of grabbing George Dubya's Decision Points on audiobook for shits and giggles, but then I realized I couldn't stand to listen to his voice (or any one speaking voice) for any great length of time.

Last edited:
For me? 24 hours. 30-40 at a stretch given enough caffeine.

Most people should be perfectly fine with 8-12 hours of actual driving (not counting rest and fuel stops, which should occur every 2 hours or so).

Just bring some good, driving-oriented music (most music is utterly lousy for this)

I did 1120 miles in one day over 19 hours with stops and that was pushing it a bit. I'd say if you get an early start doing a full 1000 miles (1600km) in one day should be well within the realm of possibility. I wouldn't drive more than 16 hours or so in one day though especially if you aren't used to being in the car for a long time.

Thanks guys.

I can't even attempt it in one day. I need to buy chains somewhere in Northern California to have in my car as per ODOT's requirements, so would like to sleep in Redding and get up early next morning to do the chain business and then get on my way.

If I do end up booking a second hotel and planning a second stopover, I'll try for a place that I can cancel up until the last minute, and then play it by ear. Or not... I've lost so much money during this trip that was cut quite short that another $100 won't matter I suppose.

Finally saw a SLS a few weeks ago, didn't really like it. Heard it rev and didn't sound as impressive as I was expecting; liked the doors though.

Also, seen a few RS5's around...not liking them much either. It doesn't look bad, but looks way too much like a modded S5 to me...