Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I firmly believe Budlight was a beer before it went through someone's liver and bladder then canned for sale.

I know that, but they can call it what they like it's not a Skyline.

They've made four door Skylines in the past and the current one and the V35 and V36 are still Skylines. They may not be the ones people want, but, yeah, they're still Skylines.

It's the same moaning that went on when they killed off the I6 in the S130s (along with the S130) to bring out the Z31. It turned out to be baseless, and the Z31 and Z32 were definitely Zs. This isn't a character violation like the Mustang II was.

Last edited:
I think Aston Martin is confusing "Skyline" with "GT-R".

The Nissan Skyline started out in 1957 as a 4 door family saloon and estate. It wasn't until 1969 that the first GT-R was built. The GT-R was always a performance car, with Nissan reserving the name for the best cars they could make at the time.

The name means very little to me. Firstly, because every man and his subwoofer has a beater non-turbo R32 here, and secondly, when I was growing up, my aunties neighbour had one, so to me the Skyline was this:

1988-1990_Nissan_Skyline_(R31)_Executive_sedan_03.jpg

SPORTY!

A GT-R on the other hand, that's something special.

This isn't a character violation like the Mustang II was.

While a bad car I wouldn't call the Mustang II a character violation. The Pinto it was based off was just as dull as the Falcon the original was based off.

Hbriz, got the point exactly. I just don't feel any passion for the G35. And I'd rather have a vasectomy, than get a MX-5.

The W208 CLK coupe is still on the table...despite its unreliability, I still like this car.

Edit: Not gonna lie though. I do like the G35 coupe with this particular bodykit:

4Q_800.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I have alot of GTR love, the skylines we got were R32/33/34 gtr's... Although far to many 33 gts's.

How do you turn off the bong noise maker.

How do you turn off the bong noise maker.

Does it have a dedicated speaker? If so, destroy it.

If you have access to someone with the VAG-COM software and cable, they can turn all the chimes and warnings off.

:clarkson: But how then is she going to know she is in a car?

Does it have a dedicated speaker? If so, destroy it.

If you have access to someone with the VAG-COM software and cable, they can turn all the chimes and warnings off.
I have no idea, but I do not feel like paying VW probably 1000$+ to repair the entire convertible top because the car wants to warn me that the top is down now. I KNOW THE TOP IS DOWN I JUST SPENT THE LAST 20 MINUTES JUMPING ON THE THING TO MAKE IT LOCK IN PLACE. :shakefist:

The "you are in a car" bong is also annoying but not as bad as the top one that now NEVER STOPS.

:clarkson: But how then is she going to know she is in a car?

Well, she will know it's a Volkswagen when it just breaks down in the middle of the road. :D

"It's not a car, it's a Volkswagen!"

No it doesn't break down, it is a vw not a saturn. The windows get stuck, the wiper fluid hose rips, all of the lights go out and the convertible top BONGS AT ME. It is never not drivable just obnoxious.

In any case, it can be deactivated in software.

Edit: Apparently you're not the only one that hates VW chimes (damn, that thing is worse than any USDM buzzer or beeper I have ever heard!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dk2QkZWOUY&NR=1[/youtube]

Last edited:
That is not the bong my car makes. It makes the same BONG BONG BONG noise most cars make. Unfortunately the top one is worse it is one BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG that never ends. It is similar to the one the car makes if you open the door if the headlights are on.

I'm now suddenly aware that my car doesn't bong for things simply being open or in use (unless you do something really dumb like switch the engine off and open the door without turning the headlights off). It just beeps a few times when you start the engine to remind you to put your seatbelt on, then it STOPS, even if you don't do up the belt. Thank the cosmos. One the annoyances of certain cars you don't really notice until you drive something that doesn't do it.

EDIT: Oh, so it's that long whining tone, now THAT I can imagine must be really annoying. :blink:

Last edited:
That is not the bong my car makes. It makes the same BONG BONG BONG noise most cars make. Unfortunately the top one is worse it is one BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG that never ends. It is similar to the one the car makes if you open the door if the headlights are on.

Yes, I know, I was just commenting that the VW bongs in some models are really annoying. Anyway, find someone with VAGCOM to turn that crap off on your car.

In my case, the first thing I do whenever I get a new-to-me Series III is murder the little $0.69 piezo buzzer they stuck in the thing for warning buzzes. It's annoying and ramming a screwdriver or pocketknife into the buzzer through the exposed grille of the under-dash module 5-10 times will usually silence it permanently.

Last edited:
Actually, since my Mitsu doesn't bong at me if I leave the headlights on (it automatically switches to parking lights when key is taken off ignition, but those are still on as are the rear lights), I tend to forget them on. Probably because the Mazda has a warning buzzer.