Spied: 2012 FIAT Panda

I assume that the emissions part of it would be fine, but the safety regs here have a lot of crazy details which leave most Euro cars out.

Also the 500 is not without extensive modification to make it work in the US, such as the uglified front bumper.

Sorry, but I fail to see a massive difference in the EU and US spec bumpers.

Murricuh. What can you say...

Panda absolutely not ruined though, looks funky and nice. It'll be cheap for sure aswell.

It's sufficient enough that a Euro-spec 500 wouldn't pass American regulations.

Yep, there's significant changes to the 500's rear structure to ensure it meets our stricter standards, even the spare tire location was moved from a traditional storage well to under the vehicle.

Autoblog's first drive said:
The Fiat/Chrysler team responsible for creating a NAFTA-legal 500 changed only what was required for homologation and North American consumer tastes. Nothing more. This dictated a myriad of tweaks, most of which are out of sight. Careful study reveals slightly different front and rear fascias, different light configurations, and different positioning for the fuel filler door.

"In the EU we have no rear crash standard as you do in the U.S.," says Fabio DiMuro, Chief Engineer on the 500. "To meet U.S. standards, we moved the fuel filler assembly farther forward and changed the rear floor pan. We expect full five-star ratings." DiMuro, who helped launch the European 500 in 2007, explained that EU-500s have the spare tire mounted inside the trunk in a well. The U.S.-spec 500 has a reinforced rear cargo area floor with no well. The spare tire is mounted under the car.

As far as importing the UNO, that'll never happen due to the "Mercedes law" on the books here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_import_vehicle#United_States No one would want to wait 25 fucking years to own a UNO. I know I wouldn't.

The law's so strict that its impossible to buy anything not designed for the US pretty much.

Last edited:

An square steering wheel?

b1e9e.jpg

Also, those aircon and window switches look like they've been stolen from a '98 Vectra, only the aircon controll-switchcases plastic-welded together.

Last edited:
I don't understand all the hate, I for one like it.

panda_interni_spy.jpg

panda_interni_spy_2.jpg

panda_interni_spy_3.jpg

The last time I saw that many squares, I was playing Minecraft.
p.s. It's awful.

Okay, the seat upholstery is a bit rubbish but I like it. If it's still priced well I have no problems with it.

So why exactly is it suddenly worse than Hitler? Because the styling is a bit more cutsey than before? Come on.

I'd gladly drive one, the interior looks a bit nicer from the current car, which wasn't bad at all. :)