Windows Vista (Farewell Windows XP my trusty old friend)

flyingfridge said:
andyhui01 said:
Greatgraddage said:
I think he means when you use a seperate hard drive rather than partitions.

yup.. I think matt was talking about putting a new HD into the computer and putting Vista on it

I know it's been cleared up, but I'll just clear up any remaining confusion. It doesn't matter if you have more than one HD. If you install Win XP on one, leave it plugged in, then install vista on the other, Windows setup will still set up a bootloader. Essentially two hard drives are still just two partitions. there is an MBR on each partition and Windows setup recognises them equally and sorts it out for you.

hmm.... that didn't work for my brother, in my brothers case where he loaded one OS in a HD and the other one in the next, it will just boot whichever one has priority.

there should be a setting in the BIOS to scan for other boot records, there is in mine (Packard Bell Imedia 5000 series).

matt2000 said:
there should be a setting in the BIOS to scan for other boot records, there is in mine (Packard Bell Imedia 5000 series).

hmm.. he has a ASUS board... I'll double check to see if it works

Raven18940 said:
Finally got vista on my RAID 0 setup and that seems to have cleared up a lot of my speed issues. Damn IBM Deskstar. *kicks* :x

They don't call it the "Deathstar" for nothing, surprised that it works ;)

I'm hoping to get another new system soon, I think I'll use this 2 month old one for Vista, just needs a faster G-card :)

Just out of curiosity: anyone did a pool to see what operational system people use on this forum?

Quick question:

Antivirus... Which one do you recommend to use in Vista?

I have BitDefender 9 and the tech support said that aren't compatible.

Which one do i use? (preferibly lightweight)

Cruzz563 said:
They don't call it the "Deathstar" for nothing, surprised that it works ;)
I was gonna make that joke, but didn't think anyone would get it. :lol: Actually it's my torrent drive, just there to get rapped by the demands of file sharing. :lol:

Ethan said:
Quick question:

Antivirus... Which one do you recommend to use in Vista?

I have BitDefender 9 and the tech support said that aren't compatible.

Which one do i use? (preferibly lightweight)

I believe avast is. Also Windows OneCare should work, but you wanted lightweight...

I'm not een going to think about Vista until they get to SP1. That thing is going to be so buggy and fully of holes. I have my XP machines running and stable for right now, and 3 of my machines probably won't even run Vista.

I might consider Vista for my next computer. Maybe. Only if it networks ok with my XP machines.

If you guys are running a home network of both XP and Vista machines I would like to know if you have any problems setting up the network.

ROFL!!!!! not sure what I am laughing about Jo. I just had to format and am now running XP. There is no conflicts with networking there is 4 PC's here 3 desktops (all running XP) and a laptop all networked ok between the one running Vista and XP. Had issues with Sound, Deamon Tools, Nero, ACDSee and other small stuff. Looked good don't get me wrong but thats where it ended to many issues going to have to wait for the full realease me thinks.

Do you think it would work on this set up:

Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz (San Diego)
1GB RAM
ATI 9600XT

???

Speed I think the only problems you are going to have is, check to see if there is a vista sound driver b4 you do anything, the video card will not be a issue I am running the same. If you use Nero you will have a download a vista version that is available (I have only just found out after doing a seatch). ACDsee if you use you no longer need it. If you need a virtual drive to mount images then forget about it. You have to make your own mind up for me no sound, no nero, no virtual drive it was not worth it. Over 100GB if info down the pan never mind you learn by your miskekes. If you go to Microsoft there is a advisor to run to check for compatabilty issues.

K thanks.

That is my new comp though. Which doesnt work (i built it and windows wont install). My current comp is pathetic, so it wont work on this. But hey, im still happyish.

Ive been wanting to try it for a while now and I may try it on my laptop first as my desktop is "recovering" after a bad spell of crashes and countless virus and spy ware scans. The laptop specs are following-
1.4GHz Pentium M
256mb RAM
ATI's Mobility Radeon 7500
40gb hd

Will it run "OK" ? is my question