Why not supercharged?

you can, but not all turbos do without being tuned to do so. superchargers always do that

turbo makes a much better noise...
spool, whoosh, whistle
supercharger only goes...
*WHINNNNE*

ok you beat me.

all down to preference i suppose. i would still take the supercharger for a landy tho :mrgreen:

loads of opinions here, but it's not a question thats easy or rather possible to definitely answer.

i think the major reason for auto makers to use turbos over SC's is mounting. basically factory SC's are mostly integrated on the engine, meaning you literally need to redo half of the piping and intake and so on, and thus make 2 vastly different parts for the NA and SC. turbos are not necessarily connected to the engine and are thus much eaiser to put in convenient spaces, plus they are cheaper to make in comparison.
I've always heard that it's really hard to add a turbo to an N/A car, and that it's easier to add a supercharger . I've seen plenty of DIY supercharger kits, for example, (Toyota even offers one for our minivan!) but not many DIY turbo kits. It does seem like manufacturers use turbos more often than superchargers, but it also seems like it's European and Japanese ones that are doing it more than the Americans. Perhaps it has to do with the torque curves each method makes? Americans tend to like large engines with flat torque curves, and superchargers enhance that, but Europeans and Japanese seem to like smaller engines with peakier torque curves, which goes with turbocharging.

I haven't read all posts so far.. but my explain is ...

Supercharger needs rpm's to built pressure, and you don't need to worry about backpressure for exhaust gasses. Good for big engines when it's installed as factory, because engine's are desinged for comfort... most of:D There isn't so big pressure lack when you floor it if you have right rev's.

When cars have turbochargers as factory installed, "they" are so small for big power.
Because the are also designed for comfort and turbo lack isn't comfort..:(
And if turbos would be factory installed for big engines "they" should be so big to FLOW certain amount of power... And which means turbo lack... etc etc.
And if you look some vids, photos etc. of VERY highly tuned engines there are turbochargers... Which is because turbos are more efficiency than superchargers....

So turbos are more common in small engines because they dont have too much torq and horses to run supercharger with a good ratio...
Car manufacturers make always compromise on engine "charging"... ALL BECAUSE COMFORT ....:mad: ouh And emissions....

And someone was talkin that 997 TT style turbo... Which is VNT and that is used in diesels like forever... tdi's... cdi's.. And why it's not used on gasoline engines until now... because gasoline engine exhaust gasses are higher than diesel. Now they have discovered some materials that don't melt... (VNT = Variable Nozzle Turbine)
http://www.honeywell.com/sites/ts/tt/turbofactsbenifits_VNTworks.htm

I don't know nothing but I was telling my own fairy-story:blink: :D
edit. Turbos always have small lack... you know, gasses

Last edited:
I'd go for a supercharger, I love the whine, and powering the charger by exhaust gasses just isn't my way, I prefer connecting it by belt to the crankshaft.
There's also the fact of instant reaction at any revs, and turbos are somehow more fragile than superchargers.

I own a engine which is normally associated with the Turbo charger.....but I grafted a Supercharger onto it...Nissan RB engine BTW....

Sorry the blower for a normal car in traffic is a better option, plus in the race car (which is also supercharged...Alfa Romeo boxer engine) the ability to use the torque to dig your way out of a corner if you miss the apex and end up in the wrong gear (I'm not the stig!) is a wonderful advantage.

Great, "you obviously said something wrong, but I probably don't know either/I can't be bothered so I'll just say that you don't know what you're talking about and assume you know peanuts about out it and not even bother telling you what you said wrong."

I wouldn't understand it huh? Considering I know a good amout about how an engine works; and especially turbos -- being an engineering student I've delt with compressor/regenerative compressors and turbines before; it is a bit insulting what you say. So, now that you know I can comprehend whatever it is that you would mind explaining to me, how about it? Or do you feel that I still don't know shit about it?

You didnt see the first words... Let me show you one more time ;) "IF YOU DONT KNOW..."

Last edited:
For your BMW, what kind of turbo would you put in it, and how many (if it's a straight six)?

I dont have a bmw :) Its just a future plan ( in ten years hopefully). But only single turbo.

e92 twin turbo is sickening lol
you gotta hear it with greddy bovs

You didnt see the first words... Let me show you one more time ;) "IF YOU DONT KNOW..."

But this is an auto forum. I think it's safe to say that most of us know how an engine works :p

I've also been dealing with people on another forum who have been using that tactic of, "If you don't know what I'm talking about, you wouldn't understand it if I tried to explain it to you."