Trip to the 'Ring

klutch

Courteous urinator
Car(s)
Do it for me.
Alright, since this post could have been potentially huge, I've decided to split it up in a couple of threads, with the factory tours of Porsche, Merdedes and BMW in other threads. So go there too.

Started off in Frankfurt, renting the car at the airport. I found a rental agency that seemed to have good rates, and a new GTI for me. For insurance/fines/liability reasons to get my deposit back, I'd rather not name them...lets just call them SyrupTar for now. They were quite nice, and I made sure that insurance was all included, so that if i stuffed it, I would be taken care of. The notice on their desk made me a little nervous though:

15122006004.jpg

Since I wasn't sure what a "speedtrack" was, I didn't bother asking about it. I'm sure it would be fine to use the car on a 'de-restricted toll road' however ;)

Left the airport in a bit of a hurry, as it was getting dark and I had about 200 miles to cover to a place near Manheim for the night. Took full advantage of the German highways:

1.jpg

The picture is a little shaky, I know...I didn't want to wake the co-pilot, as I was readjusting my underwear as I was taking pictures. 190 in a rented car, at night, in a foreign country on what may or may not have been de-restricted roads while the driver has his hand in his pants and a camera in the other, while driving, may not be a pleasant sight to wake up to.
Anyways, made it past Manheim, crashed for the night, and woke at the ungodly hour of 11, to make our pilgramage to automotive Mecca. Which meant driving all the way back to Frankfurt, then west.
We struggled a bit with navigation, as we didn't want to program it for Nurburg or Nordschliefe, since we didn't know how to wipe the satnav's memory for when we returned the car. Instead, we aimed for Koblenz, and decided to just look for signs to our destination.
DSC01471.jpg

We saw this, and just shut off the satnav, and reconfirmed we were on the right track when a Z06, F430 and a tuned Exige flew past, all with ring stickers on the back. These sights also gave our location away:

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01418.jpg

At the F1 track:
DSC01420.jpg

Finally made it to the entrance of the Nordschliefe, after driving past it 3 times. Studied the rules, couldn't find any mention of rental cars...
DSC01421.jpg

Stood around for a while, watching some fine machines head out onto the track:
DSC01422.jpg

DSC01424.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

It was pretty cold; temperature was hovering around 3 degrees, and the track looked a little slippery in places. My car had winter tires on it, so that wasn't reasurring. But I was getting cold, so dumped some money on the ticketmaster's desk, headed back to the car, and took the plunge.
Cameras are forbidden on the track, so you'll have to forgive the shoddy pictures. Copilot was a chickenshit, and decided to hang out in the restaurant while I risked life and limb drving on the green hell.
DSC01438.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

I dropped the camera when the car went sideways through one of the chicanes, so that was it for pictures. I wanted to focus on not crashing too, and there were ring marshalls out, so it was a good idea to have both hands on the wheel anyways.
Only timed my first lap, and just using the car's clock, since timing equipment is banned on public days - too many people have been dragged from wrecked cars, with a stopwatch in their (severed) hand. I was pretty happy with my time though - 13 minutes, first time out, with snowtires, front wheel dive, and a wet/freezing track. On public days too, the ring isn't complete - you have to re-enter the parkade on the straight, and put another ticket in the machine, so I timed from leaving the gate to entering the cones on the exit.
Did a few more laps, with the TCS off, and the car going sideways a few more times in the bends. A guy in a track-prepped M3 stuffed it into an armco ahead of me; they were all standing around, surveying the damage as I flew passed...a good reminder I should probably back off a little. By the time I finished, the track was almost closed, so we drove off, to the northern part of the ring, I think near the village of Adenau, to get some pictures of other ringers coming in over the bridge, and up the hill.
DSC01454.jpg

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

Just the drive to the 'Ring, and the roads around it and around the villages within the track were amazing; winding roads through the forests, with switchbacks and off-camber corners coming in and out of the towns. You could tell people have had some serious fun around there - various car bits around the guardrails, and gouges in the road on the switchbacks where people have pushed their track-prepped cars a little too hard.
The area near the straight section of the 'Ring has some major development going on, as all the serious car and tire manufacturers are setting up test centers there. BMW's M division has even moved there.
DSC01451.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

The trip was totally worth it, and I recommend anyone going to Germany to go there, even to watch on a public day. I'll upload a video of some of the serious Ringers in just a second. Check out my other threads for the trip to the Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW factories!

Last edited:
Here's a quick video, taken with a digicam, so the framerate's a bit off - the cars are moving a bit faster than they appear. But cool nonetheless.

The Evo is insane; him, and the other silver Evo, and the C55 were going at it all day, swapping cars and racing. When the yellow one would launch after the gate, all 4 wheels were spinning, making for some good entertainment. The AMG was insanely loud; I could hear it 5 minutes after it left the gates. All of them were totally stripped out inside, with full cages too.

Last edited:
There's a speedcamera between Frankfurt and Mannheim, hope you avoided it ;)

Nice report and sure lot's of fun!

Thats very cool. Sometime in the next couple of years I want to take advantage of european delivery with some new car and I will make a side trip to the ring.

There is some place for me to dump my wife near by there right? Gotta be a shopping center or something around.

It's basically in the middle of nowhere :)

Well that is stupid there have to be a ton of guys doing the same thing. Wanting to go drive the ring but having no place to drop off their wives. I am sensing a serious money making opportunity here.

There's lots of little villages in the area within the 'ring. Drop her off and tell her to find a bed and breakfast or something for the night.

Looks like a great trip, I hope you had lots of fun. And also thumbs up for not crashing the rental :)
You drove my daily route there, between Mannheim (Darmstadt) and Frankfurt (A5, 4-lane), its the best road I know for topspeed experiments.

Just a little side note, its Nordschleife not Nordschliefe, people always get that wrong ;)

It's a nasty Peugeot 206.

Here's a quick video, taken with a digicam, so the framerate's a bit off - the cars are moving a bit faster than they appear. But cool nonetheless.
I LOL'ed when seeing the truck go by - I was expecting a car :lol:

Lots of effort gone into these pics, great stuff :) If I were to go there, I'd steal that Merc 190 2.5 racing car....so cool!

Nice pics, looks like you had a blast! I seriously don't know why I've never been there, it's only a 1 to 1.5 hour drive from where I live... :bangin:

I really have to get out there once the weather gets better and the R32 is back on summer tires. Speaking about Golfs: Klutch, are you sure you got a GTI? The pictures in your Photobucket account indicate otherwise, because there are speedo pics of what seems to be a TDI. Or did you get 2 rentals, because I'm pretty sure a GTI doesn't have a 4500 rpm redline. ;)

EDIT: Pretty sure your speedo shot you posted is a crop of this pic. Looks like you did not have two different Golfs. :p

Last edited:
I had 2 rentals, a GTI at the Frankfurt Airport for a day, then a Golf TDI for the drive to Stuttgart and Munich.

I had 2 rentals, a GTI at the Frankfurt Airport for a day, then a Golf TDI for the drive to Stuttgart and Munich.
Ah, gotcha! :)

Sounds like you had a blast mate, great photos and video. :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity how much did the car rental/s cost?

If you shop around, you can get a pretty good deal. Enterprise is usually cheap, and I would have gone with them, but I needed one-way rentals, and they don't do those. Sixt can give good rates, but they were closed when I needed the car. With the place I went with, rymes with 'SyrupTar', I got the car with satnav, all the taxes and insurance for about 70 Euros a day. Not too bad.

The Evo is insane; him, and the other silver Evo, and the C55 were going at it all day, swapping cars and racing. When the yellow one would launch after the gate, all 4 wheels were spinning, making for some good entertainment. The AMG was insanely loud; I could hear it 5 minutes after it left the gates. All of them were totally stripped out inside, with full cages too.

lol that truck sounds awesome! what sort of cars did they have available at the rental place?