way to go health and safety

And you will move exactly to where? :) Somalia? I heard there isn't much of a health & safety over there. Neither much of any health at all.

Anywhere there's still a shread of common sense employed, New Zealand, Canada, Australia even France are all looking pretty sweet at the moment, I'd move to the isle of man, but JC's there to ruin it :lol:

Anywhere there's still a shread of common sense employed, New Zealand, Canada, Australia even France are all looking pretty sweet at the moment, I'd move to the isle of man, but JC's there to ruin it :lol:

A couple years ago I was able to sail on four tall ships that came to the San Francisco Bay for the Tall Ship Festival. Three of the four were registered in the US and all we were allowed to do was sit around on the deck. However, R. Tucker Thompson is a New Zeland flagged vessel and they were much more laid back. I approached the First Mate, who was in command for that particular trip and told him that I was a sailor and asked if he would let me climb out on the bowspi't while we were under sail. He had the bosun get me a harness and sent me out on the bow. I loved it, perched on the end of the bowspi't away from all the tourists. Eventually a few others came out so I went back to the Mate and this time asked if he would let me climb the rigging. The Bosun came and asked me to please not clip into the running riggings (no explanation about what those are, since I mentioned I was a sailor they assumed I knew what I was doing) because it would just make sure I landed in a particular bit of deck if I fell. They never asked "are you sure" or had me sign a bunch of waivers. I loved the Kiwi attitude towards danger. Essentially if you think you are up for it then do it, but don't try to blame anyone for not stopping you from doing something bloody stupid if you get hurt.

These guys were great, the mate had the ship healed way over with water comming about six feet along the deck amidship. Some of the tourists were a little concerned about that, so the Bosun called from the foredeck back to the helm, "Hey Captain! Are we sinkin'?!" just to mess with them.

I can't remember having that much fun in a long, long time. The Kiwis have the right idea.

Add working in a Datacenter for long hours. It really is surprising how loud Datacenters are (not really, when you think about the fact there are thousands of loud fans/servers and air conditioning to cool those servers). I've spent a couple of 8 hour days in a datacenter, and I must say that a good pair of noise canceling headphones are your best friend.

But government regulation to mandate noise awareness, is pretty stupid and hugely wasteful.

I suppose that if you're spending 8 hours a day in an enviroment that has the noise level of a cafeteria or the inside of a passenger jet, that noise canceling devices would be a plus. Then again, I always have the attitude of "it's your own damn responsibility" so...

I want to know if its only the South where any of this stuff gets regulated. I come into contact with very little health and saftey really and tend to ignore most of what I see anyway.

The Kiwis have the right idea.
Yep, two of my friends have emigrated there, both say it's exactly how Britain used to be 20-30 years ago in terms of attitudes, sounds great to me!!

I want to know if its only the South where any of this stuff gets regulated. I come into contact with very little health and saftey really and tend to ignore most of what I see anyway.

Well this crap usually takes some time to filter up to you lot, but I know for certain the whole of the professional building industry is effected, as any government contract you do now (maint on hospitals, digging ditches, what ever) has to have the proper paper work filled out and risk assements done for everything. Since these contracts are very lucrative people conform to the bullshit.

Most small companies north and south ignore it at the moment, you just can't run a buisness with it. Only problem is when H&S people come down to check that the proper paper work is filled in, the responability falls to the employer and then your talking fines, ambulance chasers and potentially the destruction of that small buisness. Even though there's never been any problem because people used a bit of sense.

All H&S has done is make people say "It's not my fault, I wasn't told" from the good old fasioned "I won't do that because it's very stupid". The worst thing is I bet they will start trying to introduce this crap into our homes :censored:

Last edited:
All H&S has done is make people say "It's not my fault, I wasn't told" from the good old fasioned "I won't do that because it's very stupid". The worst thing is I bet they will start trying to introduce this crap into our homes :censored:

I can see it now:

*knock, knock*
H&SInspector: Ah, good morning Mr. Ruuman. Health and Safety here. Do you have a microwave? Oh, you do? Well, according to our records on you, you don't have the proper paper work. We'll have to confinscate that as well as charge you 100 quid. Oh, what's this? A toaster? My, my Mr. Ruuman, things are not looking good for you. Stuck any forks in it lately? We'll be taking that as well. And the coffee maker. Just to be safe we're taking the refrigerator. Don't want you locking yourself inside of it. Okay, your total fines come to 5,000 pounds, plus another 150 for moving services. Have a nice, safe, and healthy day Mr. Ruuman.

Lets face it: we can't all work in libraries, there's going to be sound "pollution" everywhere.

The UK is the only place I've been to that mandates this type of training; the Health and Safety department is producing such a risk-averse country, I'll be surprised if suicide isn't the leading cause of death within 10 years. No fun is to be had in the land of tea and crumpets.

isn't the US more like that?

* don't iron clothes while wearing them
* object in mirror are closer than they appear
* remove child before folding buggy

- Super Man outfit will not make you fly
- Content might be warm (cups of "coffee")
- Cruise control doesn't steer the car
- Cooling rib on CPU might be hot.

I can see it now:

*knock, knock*
H&SInspector: Ah, good morning Mr. Ruuman. Health and Safety here. Do you have a microwave? Oh, you do? Well, according to our records on you, you don't have the proper paper work. We'll have to confinscate that as well as charge you 100 quid. Oh, what's this? A toaster? My, my Mr. Ruuman, things are not looking good for you. Stuck any forks in it lately? We'll be taking that as well. And the coffee maker. Just to be safe we're taking the refrigerator. Don't want you locking yourself inside of it. Okay, your total fines come to 5,000 pounds, plus another 150 for moving services. Have a nice, safe, and healthy day Mr. Ruuman.

hehe good one!!, unfortunatly I think this may be closer to the truth than any of us would like to believe :?

I give it 5 years before this is a reality in the UK and I will be long gone, shame we had such a nice country :cry:

Haha thats why I love music my Jazz bands 110 DB and no one even thinks about hearing protection gotta love playing the trumpet (over 100 DB) and giving people hearing damage:lol: :D

what i am wondering is, where the hell is otispunkmeyer? He started this topic which started a lot of discussions in it, never to be seen again.... :think:

Health and Safety has determined that doing anything related to automobiles while on the job is an unnessicary Health and Safety risk, and therefor must refrain from posting on this board, especially in topics that are clearly opposing Health and Safety, or he will be levied fines or even an ASBO...

"Noise Awareness Training"? That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

I mean, I usually call it "common sense" and a pair of noise-muting ear-muffs.

Last edited:
It's for yer own good. Now shaddup and eat yer government-rationed oatmeal. That's good for ya too.