way to go health and safety

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
at work, i get to have a noise awarness training session :|

noise

awareness

training

they actually pay some one to come up with this shit!

Permanent hearing loss happens at much lower noise level than the threshold of pain, so while it may sound silly (how can you not be aware of noise unless you're deaf?), I'm sure it has a point. Where do you work that you need to be trained in this, by the way?

Do you work around the following:

Military Aircraft
Civilian Aircraft
Construction Equipment
Trains
Heavy Diesel Equipment (Trucks, tractors, etc.)
Factory Floor

If you don't work somewhere that produces this much noise, I don't think you have much to be worried about...

I don't know why, but this made me think of Dilbert's loud guy.

dt060317.gif

You must live in the UK, huh?

I can't believe that facist department gets away with what it does.

it's all training here :cry:

more dilbert plz

I worked in a sort of simulator/cinema once ... sitting in the same hall as the spectators for hours at a time. They always insisted on us wearing these large ear-covering headphones. And even though the sound inside the theater was not really all that loud, like it won't hurt you, you won't get headaches from it too often ... but I bet that after 3 months of constant loud sound, it can have an adverse effect on your health. Mind you, we didn't get any special "noise awareness" training, in our training for health and safety it only told us to wear our headphones during the show at all times.

You must live in the UK, huh?

I can't believe that facist department gets away with what it does.

If I was prime minster everyone in that whole department would be shot.

Slowly dragging the UK down one piece of lame legislation at a time. They are one of the main reasons I'll be leaving the UK in the next few years.

Slowly dragging the UK down one piece of lame legislation at a time. They are one of the main reasons I'll be leaving the UK in the next few years.

And you will move exactly to where? :) Somalia? I heard there isn't much of a health & safety over there. Neither much of any health at all.

Do you work around the following:

Military Aircraft
Civilian Aircraft
Construction Equipment
Trains
Heavy Diesel Equipment (Trucks, tractors, etc.)
Factory Floor

If you don't work somewhere that produces this much noise, I don't think you have much to be worried about...

Add working in a Datacenter for long hours. It really is surprising how loud Datacenters are (not really, when you think about the fact there are thousands of loud fans/servers and air conditioning to cool those servers). I've spent a couple of 8 hour days in a datacenter, and I must say that a good pair of noise canceling headphones are your best friend.

But government regulation to mandate noise awareness, is pretty stupid and hugely wasteful.

So are hearing aides from when you are 40 years old.

true, but if you work in such an environment, it should be the responsibility of your company to provide such training, and not mandated by law (or the company you work for should provide hearing aids for you for the rest of your life for not providing said training).

So are hearing aides from when you are 40 years old.

Lets face it: we can't all work in libraries, there's going to be sound "pollution" everywhere.

The UK is the only place I've been to that mandates this type of training; the Health and Safety department is producing such a risk-averse country, I'll be surprised if suicide isn't the leading cause of death within 10 years. No fun is to be had in the land of tea and crumpets.

Health and Safety is really a British disease. Luckly here it's not that bad yet, but let's see how long that will last.

Come to Germany......it?s like Britain in 20 years and you can have it RIGHT NOW!

When I worked for UPS we had OSHA(Ocupational Safety and Health Administration), kind of like the US health and Safety board, come in one time to monitor our decible levels. There were complaints that it was too loud in the hub for people without ear protection but we were well within the safety margin.

Yes it was loud but it was not so loud to cause permenant damage.

I work in a factory, its loud, but luckily not that loud. Most of the people who've been working there for like 20 years plus can still hear fine, I think.

But seriously, noise awareness training, lols

Its especially shocking when you first arrive in the UK, and are greeted with seemingly every blue-collar worker wearing a high-visibility vest. It was interesting to see a custodian walking down the hall at school after sunset, glowing puke-green.