Ford Mustang with a WWII Sherman tank engine

who uses inches when referring to cubic capacity?

also...500 hp from an 18 litre engine?????? oh dear lord....
But its got a minimum of 1000 lbs/ft of torque. And I'm willing to bet it's got the potential for much larger figures

I'm sorry it was early in the morning and I couldn't read the whole article but still, posts like "um - it's a drag car" and "Three words for you: Tank. Engine. Mustang. Enough said." are not going to change my mind. I still think this is rubbish! There was a time that I also liked drag racing, but now I see that it's stupid and doesn't reflect the actual skills of the driver or the car.

My comment was nicer than it should have been. By saying this car is rubbish because (in your view, and your view only) that drag racing doesnt reflect the skills of the driver, you show yourself a moron. Only a moron could think that drag racing requires no skill. Especially in a car built purposely for it. You say you used to like drag racing, but I have to wonder if you have every actually drag raced. (And no, I dont mean in Mom's Camry.)

Also, your comment implies that any purpose built car is rubbish, which also moronic. Is the Ariel Atom rubbish? What about the many, MANY other examples of purpose built cars that have some sort of downside?

There's a guy running a tractor puller with that motor, expcept turbocharged, to 3600hp.

Buktu said it best - it's just madness!
If it was such a good idea - how come Ferrari, Lambo, Koeiniggsegg, Pagani, Porsche or any supercar company haven't thought of this before? Obviously, a single american is smarter than all of them...

Well, gee, do you think that just might have something to do with the fact that none of the companies you mentioned make cars specifically for drag-racing?

But hey, you just keep on hating. Everyone's laughing at you, not with you.

Buktu said it best - it's just madness!
If it was such a good idea - how come Ferrari, Lambo, Koeiniggsegg, Pagani, Porsche or any supercar company haven't thought of this before? Obviously, a single american is smarter than all of them...
A single guy in a shed can do infinitely more psychotic things than any multi-million dollar corporation. Nobody said it was a good idea, many of the coolest ideas aren't. Get a sense of humor!

Hang on a second, I didn't say that drag racing requires no skill at all. It's just a lot easier than rally driving for example.
Ok then BerserkerCatSplat, let's stick to drag racing. Do you think this 18L tank powered Mustang is going to be faster in s straight line than the Weineck Cobra with 13L engine? Or, I hate to say this, any of those Japanese rockets 1200 Supra's and similar Skylines?

Do you think this 18L tank powered Mustang is going to be faster in s straight line than the Weineck Cobra with 13L engine? Or, I hate to say this, any of those Japanese rockets 1200 Supra's and similar Skylines?

Perhaps but that is not the point. This is an exposition vehicle of sorts.

I know I am just repeating previous posts, but...

Boy, there are some stupid ass replys in this thread...did the ones whom made the stupid ass, focktard replys bother to read the link? Like for example, that this gas, not diesel, engine makes 1050 pounds of torque?!?

"Horsepower is bragging, torque is for dragging".

How about that it is a DOHC aluminum engine....designed in 1940 something! My God, some of you take Top Gear and the views of his holiness Clarkson a little too literal, I can read it in the replys in this thread...the same one who doesn't know how forced induction works, and who has stated that he sometimes lies in his reviews to make a point.

DEE DEE DEE!!

Last edited:
Ok, I see that I am outnumbered and there's no point in arguing anymore. I just don't understand why some people became personal by offending me. I haven't insulted anyone of you, I just tried to make my point that this car is going to be awful. I guess we'll never find out who was right.

I love watching two stangs going at it in a 1/4 mile race. So brutal, so raw, so primal...

Too bad there's no video of this tankstang .... or is there?

Does anyone remember the good old days of internet when you can start flame wars easily without being moderated? You can get so much fun out of it.

I miss those days and I believe this is one of those random thread that has potential to turn into a great flame war. Not joking :p

Does anyone remember the good old days of internet when you can start flame wars easily without being moderated? You can get so much fun out of it.

I miss those days and I believe this is one of those random thread that has potential to turn into a great flame war. Not joking :p

Well back in those days the stupid people didn't know how to actually get onto the net.

Last edited:
I've actually seen that baby in person. Quite impressive.

if the engine gets built that could be interesting, but if they leave it teh way it is, big freaking woop, you can get more power out of a conventional 427cid (multiple engine builders are pushing 2000hp now), if they did the build up to 3000hp or something that might be cool though :), or a 1800hp N/A motor!

or a 1400hp reliable motor?

Ok then BerserkerCatSplat, let's stick to drag racing. Do you think this 18L tank powered Mustang is going to be faster in s straight line than the Weineck Cobra with 13L engine? Or, I hate to say this, any of those Japanese rockets 1200 Supra's and similar Skylines?

Absolutely. You look at the massive tubbed back end on that Mustang, look at the enormous slicks housed within, and you tell me which car of the 3 is going to be able to use the power it creates. It will most likely be faster in a straight line that the Weineck Cobra or some Skyline, based on similar drag racing applications I have experience with. At those power levels, traction is paramount.