The 3 series option.

The 3 series option.

• Total voters

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
Sorry for my long absence in posting. Had been studying for my year end exams. Anyway, I need your opinions on 2 cars - BMW 320i(150bhp) and (unfacelifted) Saab 93 2.0t(195bhp). My dad has been considering these 2 cars. Both cars kitted with options and discounts cost (Saab) $120,000 and (BMW) $140,000. Which should we get? We drive over 30,000km per year, that means low running costs and reliability is essential. It would be best if any of you have had this car before and can give reliable information on it. Thanks:D

those are not american dollars, are they?

Stunningly expensive, yes!! We GIVE the government SGD$20,000 'as taxes' whenever we buy a car! Outrage, like Norway. ;)

I've driven a 320i and I was very unimpressed. It handles really well, but with an automatic, it is extremely gutless, and the engine is also rather coarse. It also looks bloody terrible, especially with the standard 15/16 inch wheels. The ergonomics inside also leave a lot to be desired.

It's nothing against BMWs as a whole: I've been seriously considering getting a 328Ci/330Ci in a few months, but there are none available for a decent price.

Go the BMW, better resale

Saab 9-3? If you are going to buy a Vectra, get the real thing not an overpriced with a bone shaking ride one. The Vectra is cheaper and more refined. For your own Sake, might I suggest to not even think about buying the Tasteless Vectra *AHEM* the Bastardized-Little-Saab from Cadillac.

Get the BMW man. You just know you want one...

BMW is still doing their free maintenance plan for the first 40,000 miles - take that into consideration with the cost.

How can you manage 30000km a year in Singapore? it's crowded and as big as the Isle of Man or Ibiza... I guess you take it abroad quite often. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy it there ;)?

Stunningly expensive, yes!! We GIVE the government SGD$20,000 'as taxes' whenever we buy a car! Outrage, like Norway. ;)
Someone's noticed! :D

I'd take the Saab. I smile at Saab drivers, whereas I don't notice beemers. I don't even like beemers. To some extent. Unless it's the E46 ofc, that's just perfectly styled. It's not bland, which the E90 IS..

Something else. BMW is too common, Saab is too boring

If you must, the BMW. More fun, but dull looking

^agreed (fbc), I like the audi choice, although if you were going to get the 320i be sure to get the manual tranny, because an auto with that car/enginge combo just doesn't work out.
As for the Saab, Never liked 'em never will.

If you enjoy driving; The BMW. If you don't enjoy driving; The Saab.

not true at all, Saabs have never been bad to drive, they just have lots of torque steer, but more importantly the newest 3 series is TERRIBLE, i loved all of them up until the most recent (what is it called E90 or something stupid) they are amazingly not that good to drive in U.S. spec, hopefully thats just U.S. spec though (i.e. crap suspension?)

in most cases i would go with a RWD car, and in most cases i would go german over swedish, but in this case im not so sure

now if your dad is looking at a E46 series BMW (or even something older) then go for it! but the new one is crap

The one really bad thing about current BMWs is the way they seem to be designed to be impossible to work on, i really don't care for that, so reliable or not, its going to be a headache

Saabs have never been bad to drive? It's clear that something is clouding your judgment and i wish to purchase a half ounce of it...

A lot of older Saabs were well balanced, sure footed and predictable. They felt weighty and composed and the handling was quite acceptable to say the least but they'd rarely set your pulse racing. Later models, specifically the Aero models, would do this for you but by way of terrifying torque steer and a body structure that would literally flex under power.

I've owned a few Saabs in my day. I love the things! Always will.
But the newer ones are so flawed dynamically that you just couldn't consider them proper drivers cars. When you press them you find that the chassis are rubbish, they torque steer like bastards and they're a prime example of 'the downfalls of FWD'.

But they are very comfortable and the cabin is quiet and all the instruments are well laid out. They have excellent sound systems, lovely seats and great ergonomics. Plus that engine just sits quietly, purring along and minding its own business until you need to overtake and then the turbo spools up to whisk you past... and then it settles back down again.

If you don't look forward to long car journeys a good Saab will make the trip as easy and comfortable as possible.

So, if you don't enjoy driving get a Saab.

^ SAABs Vauxhall/Opel underpinnings causing this on the latest cars perhaps? No I think that the Bimmer gets it really - rear wheel drive, German build, and that badge - no contest sorry.

^ SAABs Vauxhall/Opel underpinnings causing this on the latest cars perhaps?
Most probably. But the problem wouldn't be so pronounced if it weren't for the ludicrously powerful engines they shove in there.

Anyway, The way I see it is this, If you have a very long drive to do you probably look at it one of two ways;

"Three hours of just me, the machine and the open road! I can't wait!"

Or

"Three hours of mind-numbing, spirit-crushing monotony. Kill me now."

For the former I'd recommend the BMW and for the latter I'd say the Saab.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Last edited: