James May in Second Life

Right, I wasn't watching that weird screen live image SECOND LIFE weird stuff
('cos that's pure witchcraft!!Seriously - the flaming avatar names were just odd)

Except for the FINALGEAR mention - fair play. Congrats on hearing a nice word or two re:the helmet and the stuff you guys did.
Nice one

Fixed for you. 2nd Life is like "Facebook: The Game", only replace all the emo-kids with furries, and the furries with diaper-fetish furries.

If that was true then the real life emo kids i used to know would actually be playing 2nd life, but their not, their playing WoW, only as soon as they got done playing the just as uninspired counter-strike, which in its own defence atleast required skill, mostly route memory none the less, but still skill.

At least in WoW there are objectives, and "a point", and you can play the game and still have a life. Unless your sole purpose is to grief other players (ala SA's "Second Life Safari"), it is assumed that by playing Second Life, you have no first life. And you're a furry.

Note that I have absolutely no idea what a furrie is, probably because when i go on the internet its because i genuinely have a interest in real knowledge, not just knowledge of some skill-less game that in reality will teach you nothing about anything relevant to life.

I do not play any video-games avidly, but what i have experienced is that WoW is like a somewhat interactive version of classic nutjob story telling like something Tolken would have wrote, in a sometimes beautiful environment , and in itself is fine.

My problem is that the stories end up going nowhere, and that their is no real destination. Sure you can hit level 60, but who the hell cares? All that means is you spend WAY too much time on a computer clicking on scorpians and watching the same lame fight over and over and over again. O Joy!

Although i don't play second life i like the fact that you can actually use your imagination and build crap, buildings, cars, and such. I haven't tried it myself, but if its anything like people say then it sounds as though the game actually challenges you more then anything else to be creative, to make something beautiful and interesting. And i personally don't think their is a single human skill that is more important, deep, or lacking in todays world.

In my opinion if you cant be left in a blank white room with a few tools and think of something more interesting to do then just play with yourself, then your probably a bore and of the deepest form of dull. The most satisfied of people always seem to be the ones who can turn a seemingly dull situation into a interesting and memorable one. But WoW seems to cater to people who would rather just not use their heads to accomplish anything, and just wander around completing half-baked stories some underpaid lunatic in San Matio wrote.

Lets see now. I'm an American born and bred geek, a pure tech nerd, and a furry.

Yep, zero life. And it shows.

Hi all,
When I d/l the mp3 it's only 10kbs in size. Whats the story with that!! Is it just a stream?

In my opinion if you cant be left in a blank white room with a few tools and think of something more interesting to do then just play with yourself, then your probably a bore and of the deepest form of dull. The most satisfied of people always seem to be the ones who can turn a seemingly dull situation into a interesting and memorable one. But WoW seems to cater to people who would rather just not use their heads to accomplish anything, and just wander around completing half-baked stories some underpaid lunatic in San Matio wrote.
Wow. There wasn't enough arrogance in that post, could you please try again? "I'm far too good for video games, don't associate me with these pathetic peons."

I do not play any video-games avidly
Well, there's your problem.

Wow. There wasn't enough arrogance in that post, could you please try again? "I'm far too good for video games, don't associate me with these pathetic peons."

Hehe, for once I agree with you.

Also, Ottobon, you can't replace "they're" with "their", complitely different meaning, and makes people who use it look stupid.

P.S. But Second Life sucks indeed

Hey guys,
Please don't slag anyone off over their english..or how they use it...

Even if Ottobon has pissed you off I thought WE were better than that :mad:

Come on guys....He's opinionated like I can be sometimes.

OK! :)

Hey guys,
Please don't slag anyone off over their english..or how they use it...

Even if Ottobon has pissed you off I thought WE were better than that :mad:

Come on guys....He's opinionated like I can be sometimes.

OK! :)

No chance of that (ignoring bad english). It's not even a typo. This thing drives me mad all the time on irc. For some reason mostly just native english speakers make this particular "mistake"... Makes it even worse.

I once fixed a computer for one guy who was 34 years old, still living with his mom and was unemployed. He literally spent ALL day on the internet and playing some kind of quests game, I can't remember which (a VERY old and simple game).

He was so enthusiastic about this game, and accomplishing his quests and getting to the higher levels etc etc that it was crazy, and I thought to myself that if instead of concentrating so many hours every day on furthering his character is some game, if he had to spend an equal number of hours searching for work and trying to be a productive citizen, he would probably accomplish a lot more and get out of his hole!

No chance of that (ignoring bad english). It's not even a typo. This thing drives me mad all the time on irc. For some reason mostly just native english speakers make this particular "mistake"... Makes it even worse.

Hi MXM,
I DO agree with you on this. It is basic English grammer after all. However is Ottobon a native english speaker though? If so then 'shame on you' Otto :)

MXM Now that I've read the above I understand your position. But you must take some account of the non english speaking members too. That's only fair.

Anyways Ottobon we all love you :mrgreen:

It's only for your own good I'm sure & MXM is right in principle. This annoys me too. But....:)

Last edited:
If i sounded arrogant, its because theirs nothing that ticks me off more then people in the mainstream completely thrashing those who try something thats just a little bit different. Don't worry about people beating up on my English, i need to learn sometime.

If i sounded arrogant, its because theirs nothing that ticks me off more then people in the mainstream completely thrashing those who try something thats just a little bit different. Don't worry about people beating up on my English, i need to learn sometime.

And that would be "there's nothing", not "theirs"..........:whistle:

Ok time for a quick English lesson for all forum posters all around the world (these problems are hardly unique on Final Gear):

Their - Only to be used as possessive: "This is their book, the book is theirs"

There - Meaning is that something exists, or is "over there": "There are a lot of cars on Top Gear" or "Look at that car over there".

They're - The apostrophe indicates a missing letter. Please remember this forever and ever!!! Except in the case of apostrophe S (John's) where the apostrophe is possessive, in every other case it indicates missing letters! Therefore "they're" can not mean "belongs to them". That is "their" (as mentioned above). They're is short for "they are". The A is the missing letter. Example: "They're going to watch a movie today".

And to some this all up in one long sentence so that it is clear for all, here is a long example sentence including all the contexts:

"There are many people who believe that their only chance at learning proper English is when they're surfing Finalgear.com!"

I don't mean to offend anybody with this post, but this should honestly be stickied on every forum on the internet where English is written!

Oh and one more thing:

Your = belongs to you: "Your book has arrived"
You're = You Are: Remember the apostrophe means a missing letter, once again the letter "a". "You're going to be late".

Please don't mix all these up it's very annoying and shows a lack of respect for the language (I'm referring to native English speakers who continuously make these mistakes on forums). For people for whom English is a second language, now you can know forever what the difference is between all these words.

And one LAST one: Its = "belongs to it" (possessive) and It's = "it is" (apostrophe, missing "i"). E.g. "This is its final attempt" and "It's a pity that it didn't happen earlier". These are not interchangeable!

Ok that's all :offtopic: