Coolest Convertible

I'm sorry guys, all of you (except 2-3) got it horribly wrong!

Wrong, Jordan talked about getting one in 04x03, and that's not really cool. It also lost the test to a puppy.

Gallardo spyder, JC has one, uncool!
V8 vantage, agreeing with Hammond, its a small baby aston, small is not cool.

Ever since they featured a mustang in F&F the whole name has been labelled seriously uncool.

Again, featured car in F&F, no cool, good car, but not cool.

Ryhs Millen drives one as a drift car full of red bull stickers, how's that cool?

Posted by a guy who drives/drove smart, sorry mate, you killed it.

Driven only by 60+ year old people, hardly the definition of cool.

Footballer's car, 2nd one JC turned into a farce "best thing about your 4 seater convertible is that it has 2 seats" story.

Teletubby-warrior - Zonda is too much of a hypercar, not cool by definition.

Same reason as above.

Blaro you will only come across those cars in the states, nowhere else on this planet...

And at this point I'm bored quoting wrong choices.

Avanti and SL65 got it right, that lambo is probably the coolest convertible ever. It's so loud and bonkers, noone will ever hear your crappy music inside. You will arrive deaf and make everyone deaf in the small village on the riviera. Just like the bull on it's badge you'll be considered mad. Because of this, hardly any celebrity or footballer will buy it. Also, Jason Statham drove one in the Transporter2, and he's a cool guy.

MXM's choice is also quite ok.

Whew.... Looks like I avoided the swift Dutch Hammer that is pdanev.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

All coming from a Dutchy who plays a nerdy simulation racing game. Sorry but i would much rather take my opinion from somebody who drives a Smart Roadster.

Again, featured car in F&F, no cool, good car, but not cool.

which one was it again? i cant quite remember... cos all 3 are equally shit

Avanti and SL65 got it right, that lambo is probably the coolest convertible ever. It's so loud and bonkers, noone will ever hear your crappy music inside. You will arrive deaf and make everyone deaf in the small village on the riviera. Just like the bull on it's badge you'll be considered mad. Because of this, hardly any celebrity or footballer will buy it. Also, Jason Statham drove one in the Transporter2, and he's a cool guy.

This is exactly why everything you just said is wrong. Please take a look at the original question:
... what is the coolest convertable for just cruising around in, ex Bentley Arnage, blah blah, GO!

For this the Lambo is a miserable failure. I would rather have a V6 Mustang, or almost any other sub-hypercar listed here. When I rented the Mustang Convertible I had a blast in it (see the thread I posted about my experience). I would not have had nearly as much fun in the Lambo. Oh, sure I would have loved to be driving a Lambo simply because I would be in a Lambo - but that would be the focus of the day, rather than the day itself. A hypercar would have been a distraction from the experience. A car that is for cruising should heighten the experience, not overpower it and punch it repeatedly in the face. This is why I chose the '59 Cadillac Eldorado. It's not fast, it can't corner worth shit and it's not that loud. It handles like a beached whale, but DAMN it would be fun! Sure you have to slow down at every corner, so why hustle to get there? Slow down a bit, enjoy the sun, the air, the smells, and the music. The perfect convertible would be just as much (or more) at 30 mph as it would be at 70 mph.

If you think all convertibles need to be about howling exhaust, smoking tires and shouting then you have completely missed the point of a convertible. What you want is a tin opener taken to a hyper car, and there are those out there. I think about what car would be ideal for a trip up through Sonoma County, or Mendocino, or cruising the boulevards of Santa Cruz. Sure the lambo will get plenty of turned heads, but ultimately would you rather have those bucket seats and high performance dohickys or a nice big open-top Cadillac you can load full of friends (or women) and drive to the beach or a jumpin' house party? Hell, who needs a house, you are the party.

In Summary: Fail.

pdanev.....

Rhys Millen drifts around in a 500hp 2.0L Turbo ECOtec LSJ running on E85. he has also set a record at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in the 2WD class with the exact car. he's also the son of the one of the greatest rally/endurance dirt drivers in the world. he has already captured multiple championships in the SCCA Rally America.

the one i posted has a stock 400hp (it does come with a 650hp supercharged option aswell) GM 6.0L LS2 V8. its also posted up 11 second runs and handles DAMN well for a car that isnt supposed to have a V8 in it.

This is exactly why everything you just said is wrong. Please take a look at the original question:

For this the Lambo is a miserable failure. I would rather have a V6 Mustang, or almost any other sub-hypercar listed here. When I rented the Mustang Convertible I had a blast in it (see the thread I posted about my experience). I would not have had nearly as much fun in the Lambo. Oh, sure I would have loved to be driving a Lambo simply because I would be in a Lambo - but that would be the focus of the day, rather than the day itself. A hypercar would have been a distraction from the experience. A car that is for cruising should heighten the experience, not overpower it and punch it repeatedly in the face. This is why I chose the '59 Cadillac Eldorado. It's not fast, it can't corner worth shit and it's not that loud. It handles like a beached whale, but DAMN it would be fun! Sure you have to slow down at every corner, so why hustle to get there? Slow down a bit, enjoy the sun, the air, the smells, and the music. The perfect convertible would be just as much (or more) at 30 mph as it would be at 70 mph.

If you think all convertibles need to be about howling exhaust, smoking tires and shouting then you have completely missed the point of a convertible. What you want is a tin opener taken to a hyper car, and there are those out there. I think about what car would be ideal for a trip up through Sonoma County, or Mendocino, or cruising the boulevards of Santa Cruz. Sure the lambo will get plenty of turned heads, but ultimately would you rather have those bucket seats and high performance dohickys or a nice big open-top Cadillac you can load full of friends (or women) and drive to the beach or a jumpin' house party? Hell, who needs a house, you are the party.

In Summary: Fail.

Exactly my point about cars in general its best to buy a boring car then to make an ass of yourself. I mean anyone would love LP640 Covertable, but the way lambos are designed, the car is meant for 100mph + which means you will be flooring it everywhere, ruining other peoples days (not all people like a loud fast car) and making yourself look like an uneducated peasent. In something like a Bentley Arnage or Rolls-Royce the cars moves effortlessy and the ride is enjoyed rather then the car. It's like a nice suit you don't get one in fluoresent green with a blue shirt and bright orange tie, you get a nice Blue, Grey, Charcol, Black, or White (if you can pull it off) suit that makes you look better. If the first thing they notice is the suit you dress wrong, same with the car. The everyone, supercars are just objects of desire the owner does not matter for Super Luxery Cars it the car then they look to the person driving it. The Koenigsegg also fits into this catagory because of the way you have to drive it. The car is far too fast to rip around in unless your on a track or on a freeway, most of the you are cruising along in some nice pace. So usually even if you own a Lamborghini you won't get to use it 97% of the time. Expensive cars are meant to make the owner look better and are a sign of status, but it seems some marques have been tanished by the way they are driven.

Last edited:
Ever since they featured a mustang in F&F the whole name has been labelled seriously uncool.
A car isn't uncool just because it was featured in a bad movie or tv series. Just look at the 1969 Dodge Charger. 8)

Another car I thought of that I'd love to cruise around in is an old, pre-ugly plastic bumper MGB.

KaJun said:
Another car I thought of that I'd love to cruise around in is an old, pre-ugly plastic bumper MGB.
:yes: Those things pop up from time to time in my local classifieds. Always dirt cheap, always with massive oil leaks, always without a floor pan :lol:. And I have been soooo close to buying one each time.

There was a TR2 in there somewhere. You are getting toward the correct answer. Which, of course, is this:
800px-1977.triumph.stag.blue.arp.jpg

Get one that's been well looked after, and you get a relatively gremlin-free, burbling V8 convertible that looks staggeringly(Oh, the pun!) good, goes pretty well, and has an exclusivity than a lot of modern cars can't have: The manufacturer went out of business almost thirty years ago.

I agree with Blind Io somewhat. For a sporting drive, my original pick the F430 Spyder is almost without peer.

Thats why I liked my second suggestion. The Mercedes Ocean Drive. Impeccable luxury, quiet, comfortable, fabulously good looking yet flash enough to make sure everyone is looking at you, which is surely the point of cruising around in a convertible

A bit critical today, aren't we? Bad day at work or something? ;)
Quite the opposite actually, if I'm in a bad mood I would've never put together such a long post and go about finding something wrong with most things that we're posted. :)

Completely wrong! I'm not dutch, LOCATION, that is Netherlands. ;)

All coming from a Dutchy who plays a nerdy simulation racing game. Sorry but i would much rather take my opinion from somebody who drives a Smart Roadster.
Read above! And at least stuff in LFS handles much better than the smart. (cheap shot I know) :p

I did very well look at the question, and I didn't miss the cruising part.
But I think you miss the TG concept/interpretation of cool. Cruising @ 30mph and thinking that you are cool, is NOT actually cool. Everyone will see your (not you in parcticular, but you as in generally speaking) ugly face, and let's face it, cool stuff costs money (usually). So you won't be 20 anymore and handsome when you buy one. That's why your cruising speed has to be at least a 100mph. "Daddy got a heart attack while he was cruising at actually very low and safe speeds, who'd have thought that" - not cool.

So if you look at the "proper" definition of cool, then it's not something slow and something cheap. Remember, people will actually see you with the roof down. So it can't be something very old that you think is cool. Turn up in an Eldorado to pick up Kristin Scott Thomas and she'll say what's this old 10m long heap of junk.... Turn up in a murcie roadster, she'll think nice & sexy car maybe a bit out there, but damn it's sexy and I don't see many of these around, what the heck, lets go for a drive for a change from my small European hatches.

Elmo187 - you didn't get my point. I don't have anything against Millen, and I very well know who he is. I myself am a big fan of drifting, but I just used him as a reference that a car was built for him/drifting - that isn't cool. Go and pick up a girl with any driftcar for that matter full of stickers, see if she'll like it. Ok, you didn't post the drift version of that car, but turn up in a regular one to pick up your girl, and she'll say, hey didn't that bloke drive one on the telly in that stupid sport that makes a lot of smoke and no sense? And you miss the point of coolness. Handling has nothing to do with it.

PS: You guys are too uptight lately and take everything personally, it's supposed to be a debate about coolness, not about what you like.

But you are assuming we are using the Top Gear definition of cool. Who cares whether a car is cool or not or economical or colour or anything. The question was what would be the best convertible to cruise around in.

A murcielago would be pretty horrible to pose around town in. Although you would get lots of looks.

When I think cruising I think sunny days, good tunes on the stereo, mates in the back perving on all the hot women in bikinis.

I'm sorry I must have read the thread title and first post wrong, which both say "cool" not "best". ;)

When I think cruising I think sunny days, good tunes on the stereo, mates in the back perving on all the hot women in bikinis.

dammit, now youre making me miss the days of driving my grandpa's old Caddy convertible up in Cocoa Beach. god that was a great car. he had it since my dad left the house to go to the Air Force back in the 70's.

18 years old, just graduated, 3 of my other buddies, top down, and some good ole Sublime playing over the speakers. god those were the days.

A car isn't uncool just because it was featured in a bad movie or tv series. Just look at the 1969 Dodge Charger. 8)

No, it's uncool because I can't drive anywhere without seeing several of them.:p Too mainstream to be cool in my book.

Yep, seems every supercar is wrong but the Hitler car I posted is perfectly fine.

I agree with the Triumph Stag. Unrealiable etc etc, but man, that's a gorgeous car. i'm certainly getting one some day. In green preferably, with a black stripe down the side.

No comments on the Alfa I posted...I don't know if it's bad or good...

The 5.7 isn't considerably faster than the V6
Oh come on, this just isnt true... But a V6 Fbody convertible makes for a great cruiser.

I prefer the Firebird to the Camaro because of the popup headlights

In my experience: They are just one more thing to break

[youtube]ZB_YA1O0scs[/youtube]
(stay for the end)

Last edited:
Oh, since that thread poped up again, I have to post this pic (even thought it's more targa than convertible):

http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/7875/00422tp6.jpg

It's cool, and not because it's beautiful, but because it's just so likeable :) Small, light, not expensive and pretty rare (I've never seen one live). Also it's rwd and midengined, not unlike Porsche-VW 914 :)

EDIT:
No comments on the Alfa I posted...I don't know if it's bad or good...

I like it ;)

Redliner - that's the type of car Sophia Loren would drive, a person with style, not some rapper from MTV or a modern day celebrity, hence very COOL!