10 Year Engine Freeze?

Truly shit idea. F1 is supposed to be about pushing the edges of the envelope and developing new technologies. It won't contain costs - teams will still have the same budgets and just spend the money elsewhere. All this will do is piss off the manufacturers - and given how big their prescence in the sport is that's a big risk to take.

What the fuck?!? Every year they manage to screw up the rules even further!
Soon enough F1 cars will be forced to be front wheel drive, powered by a 1.6 liter 4 cylinder with 16 valves....

If they keep this up, A1GP is going to kick their asses soon... I personally like the idea behind A1GP better than current F1 stuff. With Ferrari stepping up for next year, it really lends some much needed credibility to what is still a relatively new racing series.

^ Agreed. A1GP is quickly becoming more enjoyable to watch than F1. The battles are closer throughout the entire race and it shows very much the true talent of the drivers as, other than the setup/configuration, the cars are all exactly the same.

Truly shit idea. F1 is supposed to be about pushing the edges of the envelope and developing new technologies. It won't contain costs - teams will still have the same budgets and just spend the money elsewhere. All this will do is piss off the manufacturers - and given how big their prescence in the sport is that's a big risk to take.

My thoughts exactly. On the other hand i don't any real way to get the racing to be closer unless you enacted some sort of budget cap (which would be a NIGHTMARE to enforce).

*waits for HondaF1 to start crying* :p

Why?

I want them to keep the engines they are using now. Beats the idea of 1.4l Turbos they were throwing around before.

As for Honda's engine. It's very good. It was just the car that was shit.

Oh, and Mods can this be moved to F1 section please.

Truly shit idea. F1 is supposed to be about pushing the edges of the envelope and developing new technologies.
Exactly. If they're just trying to piss off manufacturers, then I'm sure they're succeeding. In 10 years I want to see F1 cars that push the limits of human faculties, not the same cars they're driving now.

Its a crap idea. As fbc said, the sport is about pushing the technological boundaries, and has been one of the very few industries since the War to maintain a relentless development pace. The advances that have been made in the industry filter back so the technologies you have on your road car are as a result of F1 teams spending the capital and developing the systems that keep you from spinning off the road and dying in a big fireball.

In ten years time, F1 will still be maintaining the (what will become) dinosaur engines swilling unleaded by the litre and spewing harmful CO2, killing our baby whales. I expect the world will have moved on and greener technologies will have been developed which means F1 will certainly be under fire.

Well I like this idea, and Im sticking by the fact I think it is a good idea.

why do they always want to make F1 boring???

FIA said:
"There will be a total freeze on engine development for a period of 10 years, starting from 2008"

Its not this years engines, its whatever engine they build for next year will be frozen. Whats wrong with that?? Nothing is wrong with that!!

Its not this years engines, its whatever engine they build for next year will be frozen. Whats wrong with that?? Nothing is wrong with that!!

Everything is wrong with it - freezing development on anything in F1 is completely against what the sport is supposed to be about.

AND the fact that HondaF1 liked the idea is proof enough we should be against it! :p

They both have strict innovation-limiting aerodynamic restrictions, they have strict innovation-limiting engine restrictions (now possibly even stricter), and everything's closely monitored. 90% of the race is a high-speed parade with maybe a couple of passes interspersed. The biggest difference is that they turn right as well as left, and even NASCAR is branching into that territory as well.

I find both series kinda boring.