One month later, I finally finished my giant MGS "papercraft"!

chilicoke

Car(s)
'07 Honda S2000
Not 100% sure where to post this, but decided here because it's somewhat game related, if not Mods please move it to the appropriate section.

IMG_1567.jpg

I first came across this papercraft posted on Kotaku last April, thought it was really cleaver and really enjoyed making it. But the part of me that love to build thing (some of you might remember my GT4 cockpit I posted some time ago) wasn't really satisfied, it was too easy and only took about 15 minutes total.

One day I read somewhere about a designer who enlarged a normal desktop lamp into a floor-standing light, it gave me the idea and I thought it would be absolutely hilarious to super-size the MGS (Metal Gear Solid, for those of you who don't play video games) papercraft as a decoration for my room.

However, due to lack of free time, the thought got lost into my hundreds of "future project ideas" until almost a year later, last week of winter break (3 days before school). My original plan was to finish it in one weekend, how wrong was I. :?

I finally finished it last Sunday, after a combine total of nearly 70 hours (mostly weekends + random free time). It is 10 times bigger than the original, standing around 30 inches tall. Constructed entirely out of cardboard (box was purchased from local hardware store, rest were from old boxes I had in my garage), hot glue gun, and poster paint (basically water color). Around 75% of the time/effort was spent on painting it, due to my lack of experience with paint brushes, it was much harder (and took much longer) then I originally anticipated.

After completion I have sent these pictures to Kotaku (mostly to give credit to the creator of original papercraft), but they seem to be pretty busy because of GDC <_<. Overall I had fun building it, and thought you guys might find it interesting.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

me having fun:mrgreen::mrgreen::
IMG_1557.jpg

All comments welcome!

Last edited:
I don't quite get it (never played MGS), but good work regardless! :lol:

That's pretty cool. You must of been bored as hell. :mrgreen:

:lmao:

That is awesome, great job
It's funny i was just playing MGS3 today, they are great games.

Thanks!
I've been playing MGS3 over again to get ready for MGS4 (whenever that comes out).

I just found this video on youtube, I cant believe some of the easter eggs I missed :lol:
Part 1
[YOUTUBE]cNoqJ8wVVyQ[/YOUTUBE]
Part 2
[YOUTUBE]mZ8RRGYiCU4[/YOUTUBE]

This is absolutely amazing!
[YOUTUBE]vLDevV575U0[/YOUTUBE]

:lol: That looks brilliant! Very well made too :)

A box with 'The Orange' on it... hmm, blatant advertising?

I used to make the tiny Snake in a box for some of the guys around my office. Great work!

:bow: As a rabid MGS fan, that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. You, sir, are a hero in my book.

best video ever....

CRAB BATTLE!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GTc9NFsM7o[/youtube]

This is absolutely amazing!
[YOUTUBE]vLDevV575U0[/YOUTUBE]

Hahaha! The guy getting pummeled by the kicked open door was the best. Well, thanks to you, I'm now even more depressed that I don't own a PS3 for the inevitable release of MGS4. :cry:

Thats just amazing!!

MGS4 is coming around June :(, to long away. And, now Killzone 2 is September. And, GT5: Prologue is April, unless you import.... So many good games, so far away...

"Huh? It's just a box."

:lmao:

Excellent! :D

Hooray!
Metal Gear Solid 4 Finally Has A Release Date

Word from Destination PlayStation, a retailers-only conference for all things PlayStation related, is that Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to the PlayStation 3 on June 12, 2008. According to sources there now, the release of Kojima Productions action-stealth game will arrive on a Thursday, oddly enough. Even more interesting is that we're hearing word that Sony will be offering a hardware bundle that features MGS4, an 80GB PlayStation 3 and a DualShock 3 packed-in.

We're checking with Konami for official word on the matter and will update with additional information soon.

Update: It's official, hit the jump for the full release, plus tons of other confirmations of news we broke.

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA INTRODUCES METAL GEAR SOLID?4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS PS3 BUNDLE AVAILABLE IN LATE Q2 2008 IN NORTH AMERICA
Company Also Announces Limited-Edition God of War? PSP? Entertainment Pack and April Availability of DUALSHOCK?3 Wireless Controller for North America...
http://kotaku.com/360906/metal-gear-solid-4-finally-has-a-release-date

For those of you waiting for the release of MGS4 to purchase a PS3, you're in luck:
Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Bundle Announced

It's happened. The bundle we've all been waiting for will indeed be coming to store shelves. Sony is releasing a PlayStation 3 bundle for the release of Metal Gear Solid 4. It will include an 80GB system, the game and one Dual Shock 3 controller for $499. We assume that this bundle will hit June 12th alongside Metal Gear Solid 4. Expect slippery aisles, wet with fanboy...drool.
http://kotaku.com/360996/metal-gear-solid-4-ps3-bundle-announced

:D :D :D :D :D

Fuck thats a bargain, wish I lived in the US :( That "absolutely amazing" video is no longer available. Got a search tag or something??