PSP is it worth it?

MadCow809

Forum Addict
so... my friend is selling his PSP, asking price is $140, it will be unlocked so i can put games on and what not. It sounds like a really good deal, but im not too sure if i should spend $140 on a PSP that i wont spend too much with. Is it really worth the money??

Im really tempted partly because its not too expensive, but mainly its because i can use my weed money on this and stop smoking for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I have a PSP and i love it! honstly the only games i play are Wipeout Pure and Pulse along with Lumines but i also use it for surfing the web and reading books that have been posted on line

I have a PSP too, really worth the money. I have Worms, Locoroco and a couple of other games, but I use it mainly as an MP player, internet browser and podcast player (subscribed to RSS podcasts). I also got the camera for it.

Worth every penny I would say, had mine since they were released (2 and a half years ago) and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. :)

You need to get yourself a Nintendo DS.

The problem with the PSP is most of the games are just shrunk down versions of Playstation games, whereas the DS has many originals which were designed to be played on the move and on the small screens.

PSP is worth it. The DS is too clunky for my liking. I've had a PSP since release and only left it alone once I got my PS3.

Locoroco may seem childish, but its brilliant fun. As are the GTA games.

^ I find the PSP is more cumbersome to hold than the DS... it's just too frickin' long.

Wait for Jeffy to respond or PM him, I think he has one.

I love the PSP :) Great for road trips, flights, etc.

Fun games such as Tekken, GTA, Colin McRae, MX vs. ATV, Sports games if you're into those, some nice RPGs, pretty much any kind of game you can think of. Plus you can play all the old PSX games too.

The screen rocks: Nice and big, very hard to scratch. Great battery life, plus the battery is replaceable.

If you get the Slim version, it's supposed to have an even sharper screen, better battery life, and of course it's smaller/lighter. But I have the original, and I can't really imagine the screen being much better than it already is.

As you can see, the screen is larger than a current gen iPod's screen, so it's great for movies and stuff:

http://img264.imageshack.**/img264/8323/dsc01556ox6qp2.th.jpg

Browser is cool for surfing the web from the bathroom, etc. Supports RSS feeds.

You can stream internet radio, or load it up with MP3s, videos, etc.

You can run Skype, GPS stuff, and it has a camera add-on now too (never tried that)

If you install hacked firmware, you can do a million more things with it, such as play old NES, SNES, Sega Genesis games.....Stream video from your PC via wi-fi......control your PC's desktop via wi-fi......Run PDA-type apps.....

Best part about hacked firmware: If you're a pirate, you'll never need to buy a PSP game again, but you can download them all via BitTorrent and play them from your memory stick, or even via USB from your PC's hard drive.

For as cheap as the PSP is now, I'd say it's a great investment :)

^ I find the PSP is more cumbersome to hold than the DS... it's just too frickin' long.

I don't find it cumbersome at all. It's not THAT big:

_40750912_psp_hand203iafp.jpg

Last edited:
^ I just find it a bit too wide. The PSP is the winner in the multimedia department as the DS has no support for it. Modchips allow you to play some files, but it's a hassle.

The thing I like about the DS platform is that a lot of the games are quite innovative. There's a lot of childish shit but if you look past those it's awesome for puzzle games and stuff. There aren't a whole lot of action games for it... except MK3, which rawks. :cool:

Also the DS was a lot cheaper, like half price, when I bought mine. I think the PSP had a massive price drop?

When I compare the PSP to the DS, the thing that stands out to me is the graphics, which are much better on the PSP, but the DS does have some cool games though.

And then of course the multimedia options of the PSP that you alluded to.

Yeah, I think the PSP did have a decent price drop. I got mine a coupe years ago when they were still around $250, but I think you can get a new one now for even $150 if you catch a good sale, and of course used for cheaper.

^ Yeah, the graphics are no better than the Advance. I think that's the reason for the lack of action games. :p

If the PSP wasn't twice as much when I bought the DS I may have considered it. But I've used my DS so much, totally worth the $129.

I love the ds, the main reason I got mine over a psp was the original games and the battery life. I've heard some awful stories about 2-3 hours at best on the psp where I can get around 10 hours without too much trouble on my ds if I turn the backlight right down.

okay, so i had a look on newegg for the psp memory card.

an 8gb memory card will set me back $86, along with a card reader $12, together with the PSP $140 = $238.

Now all of a sudden the figure is quite steep, especially i won't be using it to surf the net. It will be for music/movie/games mainly.

is $238 worth it? Also, how easy is it to unlock it or to update the firmware?

You don't need a card reader. You can just trasnfer files via USB.

Also, I would think a 4GB card would be enough.

I'm surprised he's not throwing in a card with the deal.

This should be a personal choice and as Jeffy says you don't need those accessories, but I don't think it's a bad deal. How much does an iPod Touch cost? It does pretty much the same things the PSP does minus gaming.

is $238 worth it?

I got my PSP about 1 month ago and I'd say it was worth every cent. Of course it all depends on what you want to do with it. I use it mostly for gaming, but its ability to play mp3s and read e-books comes in handy. Nevertheless, I think you should ask your friend to at least throw in a 1GB Memory Stick in the deal and later on you can upgrade to a bigger capacity.

I asked my mate about the memory, he says its 1gb that came with the PSP. So I will definetely have to buy a memory card if i want to use it. 4Gb doesnt really sound much, music will take up more than 4gb alone, let alone movies & random stuff. And aren't psp games like 700mb each??

hmm.. *think* *think* 4gb is $40 bucks.. 8gb is $80... both are pretty expensive to be honest...

i have a psp thats hacked and i actually find it quite boring. The game selection isn't that big and most of them suck anyways except a few but if its just for music and videos its ok , just some videos r kinda hard to watch since the quality isn't that good. i still prefer my ds tho, since more games to play and theres a lot of people i know that have one.

I remember less than 2 years ago when I paid $50 for a 2GB.....Of course they didn't even make a 4GB then.

Have a PSP Slim and a DS Lite.. both are good, but minor problems with both.

The DS isn't the most comfortable in your hands, and has terrible audio- games are short, and not really involved.. Not a big fan of the 2 small screens.

The PSP has a fantastic screen, great game library, and a pretty good battery life (I get 9 hours playing GTAVCS with an expanded 2200 pack. I dislike the little analog stick because you need to put a bit more pressure than normal on the stick to move it, and pushing up in some games means "angle left". Two sticks would have been much better, and small triggers in addition to L/R(For shooters.. hitting O O O O O O O to fire gets annoying).

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/08/pspforums.jpg

Sidenote; My PSP is flashed, and my DS has an R4 Card. I love being able to play my legally purchased games on inexpensive flash cards without needing to carry around numerous cartridges/umds. $13 for a 4GB MS Pro Duo is very cheap.

Btw, Top Gear looks fantastic on the PSP.