[17x07] December 28th, 2011 [India Special]

[17x07] December 28th, 2011 [India Special]

• Total voters
I really liked the special and do't know what some of you guys are complaining about. Who cares if the map wasn't right.

And they bought expensive and good cars because they were promoting Britain. You couldn't do that with a 500 quid Morris Marina.

I really liked the special and do't know what some of you guys are complaining about. Who cares if the map wasn't right.

And they bought expensive and good cars because they were promoting Britain. You couldn't do that with a 500 quid Morris Marina.

Expensive cars that were ready for the scrapyard afterwards.

Reactions: MWF
Quite disappointed in this years special. A lot of potential that seemed squandered, oh well.......at least the odds of next holiday special being an improvement are somewhat good? 5 of 10 for me and i'm being very generous, based on some of the visuals and the attempt to capture the reckless momentum of the Indian motorways.
Hopeful on a quality series 18 to come.

The crowd was not amused!

3Q8Qs.jpg

oc4ff.jpg

E6PL9.jpg

SYADG.jpg

Why did they have to ruin that Mini? Do you have any idea how RARE it is to find a last production Mini? Jeez.

Exactly! I mean I understand when they buy a trio of lemons, nurse them through the challenges and modify them in the process, but this was something different. These were three good cars, and they didn't even try to keep them in good shape. They knew from the beginning they would fuck them up, and it didn't look like they gave a toss. How such car nuts were able to do it just like that is beyond me, just like how anyone would have such an idea and think that it was good.

Well, I'll chime in like I have something important to say.

I'm surprised they didn't go for more obvious gags, like, eat a dish of local curry and see who could go the longest while driving without the need for Jezzas boot-o-loo toilet.

The premise of the episode was a bit weak, being about trade relations. It was like the Star Wars prequels. Not really a 1000 mile journey in a car you are on the edge of your seat, willing it to live. But still, I've waited a year for another Top Gear special, and I'm glad I saw it.

I decided to break the silence on my side for this episode, as the more people responding the better. First of all I should stress that I don't contribute to the BBC financially, so Top Gear isn't better or worse off without me (apart from buying a Clarkson DVD and a couple of books and magazines).

I think the main point is that Top Gear is so successful because the presenters are incredibly smart and have a great sense of humor overall. It means they can do anything and it will be fun to watch. Apart from when they are forced in their "Top Gear" roles of destruction and silliness. Somehow, they end up in this role a lot, and I can't think of a reason. Top Gear is about ambitious, but rubbish. The ambitious part is kinda vital though, which seems to be forgotten by the production office.

Lets take the BritCar race as an example. They decided to really test the car and themselves by doing the stuff seriously. Combine that with the sense of humor they always have and will have and you get a very interesting show. Actually, I think that race was the beginning of the "writing on the side of a thing and then splitting it so we get something vulgar" thing. But the Peniston was just a gimmick there, showed on a moment someone was narrating to another segment.

In the India special, they used up 10 minutes of their and our time for such a moment.

Also, I thought Ground Force Garden was funny as it was obvious from the beginning they were doing it for Comic relief and it was not meant to have anything to do with Top Gear the program. This Garden party was less funny (I don't see how Hammond styling his hair is funny, as he does that all the time anyway ;) and the episode entirely forgot about it afterwards), and certainly no reason to travel to India.

There were a few parts I liked. I actually liked the rather thorough introduction of the food taxi service by the Indians (and then went on to ridicule it by using their standard stereotypes. Again, they are much more entertaining in real life). I liked the brake-horn solution, it was also the first time James really laughed and seemed to be happy to be there. Especially in the beginning when doing the food service, he really seemed cross and the normal chemistry wasn't there for some reason. Might be because he was a bit embarrassed...
I liked the camp site (it was the part where the chemistry again really showed, not surprisingly in one of the few moments where there was no objective to destroy something). I liked the cricket, although I fail to understand how cricket works. I also liked the Top Gear band for some reason.

Other than that, it was not that good. No reason to travel to India for sure. The worst thing in my opinion was the total lack of interest from the boys for real India (or so it seemed) and the car destruction. Really Hammond, if you'd really loved that Mini as you said you did, don't intentionally look to the other side for 20 seconds when its being destroyed. Same for Jeremy, you can't say I love this car after drilling a hole in it for a toilet (which didn't serve any purpose whatsoever).

End of rant :)

Last edited:
I think the "ambitious, but rubbish" tagline gets used as a sort of excuse for bad TV now, as if being rubbish is an accomplishment and somehow allows them to check a box off their list. There was only very little rubbish involved from seasons 4 through 7, and perhaps coincidently enough that was the period where they were winning international awards and universal praise from their fans.

Because if they did the same thing in Europe and the map wasn't right there'd be a 50 page thread here and an article on the Daily Mail website.

Exactly! I mean I understand when they buy a trio of lemons, nurse them through the challenges and modify them in the process, but this was something different. These were three good cars, and they didn't even try to keep them in good shape. They knew from the beginning they would fuck them up, and it didn't look like they gave a toss. How such car nuts were able to do it just like that is beyond me, just like how anyone would have such an idea and think that it was good.

+1

I am giving this special a 5er, which is a real downer for me. Watched it 3 times now, twice with a fair bit of Bushmills in me, so take my criticisms/witticisms with a grain of salt if you please.

I am a serious car enthusiast. I have a garage full of ridiculous, unnecessary cars and I totally stand behind them. I watch Topgear because the guys are ridiculous versions of me - petrolheads with a sense of humor. For example, I would totally own a Reliant Robin if I could find one stateside and then put some training wheels on it - mine would work, but beside the point. So, I give Topgear the benefit of the doubt because I respect the fact that it is 2% car show and 98% 3 middle aged idiots messing about in some cars, whichever ones they feel like playing in.

However, this special gets the thumbs down by me.

I always watch these specials to go on a vicarious holiday - Par Example, Botswana - somewhere I will never go, and now thanks to Topgear somewhere I feel like I have been. This special was to India, somewhere I want to go, and now I feel like I still need to. They did almost nothing to uncover Indian culture - the Daberwollers (sp?) were interesting, but the "challenge" was forced at best. This might be partially because the British public probably already knows India (Im guessing?) but mostly because this special felt like a force of all the old Topgear schtick, but not in an entertaining or convincing way. I do hope that when the actual season 18 gets underway, they get back to the business of reviewing cars, poking fun at America, putting obscure British talent in a POS KIA, sliding around the track in cars no one can afford, and just generally doing what they do best.

Another part of this particular film that *kills* me is the cars they bought and destroyed. Others have said it, Ill say it too - that MINI was a mint condition piece of art that people in the US would kill for, and that Roller was the same. I remember seeing it roll into view the first time I watched this and just knew that a priceless old Rolls was going to get a tent put on its head and off road tires or some such muck. They were unimaginative and dull with their choices. There was not really a challenge - they bought 3 nice cars and destroyed them. Whatever, if thats the way the BBC wants to spend its money fine, but its a car show and I am sure Im not the only total petrolhead to get pissed off about it. My daughter, who has a current MINI, cried when they ripped the front end off it. But, I digress.

Last point before I take a breath: It also seems like Andy is trying to become part of the show, which I personally feel like might be what rubbed me wrong on this one. He is no actor, though he is clearly brilliant. When he speaks to the camera in the Topgear bits we see on US TV, he just has no charisma. Based on what I read here and elsewhere, it is some combination of him and the guys working together to come up with new and exciting ideas, and frankly I think they might have run out of gas. The guys have all said in blogs and elsewhere that Topgear wont last forever in its current iteration and I think the end of the line might be in sight.

My 2c

Well put. Although if you do some youtube searching you can find some pieces from old TG when Wilman was in front of the camera.

Here's one.....

(the) old TG when Wilman was in front of the camera.

Hadn't seen that before. He was quite good.

It's easy to see why TG has done so well when the producer is also a talented editor AND a tidy presenter to boot.

(And THERE'S a prime reason why Top Gear Australia failed. No talent at the top)

Last edited:
Sadly some of his best efforts haven't made it to youtube. The Naturist Car Show in Wisconsin was hilarious!

That episode was quite disappointing from my point of view. The selection of the cars and roads were all right, but the whole British trade mission theme was a big downside as the predicable result always was a big embarassing mess.

(And THERE'S a prime reason why Top Gear Australia failed. No talent at the top)

Funny, I thought it had potential with Warren, Steve and the trumpet player (dont remember his name) - I loved the opening sequence where they pitted the 135i and EVO X against each other. But in general I agree.

J

Funny, I thought it had potential with Warren, Steve and the trumpet player (dont remember his name)

James Morrison. And he was a vast improvement over Charlie "I Suck" Cox. Wazza and Steve had developed a good chemistry together by the middle of Series 2. Take a look at the electric cars sequence, which is one of the best Cheap Car Challenges that any TG has done. So there was talent there. People here have made a good case that the show might have survived had the Series 3 cast been Steve, Shane, and Warren.

And another +1 from me.

Which was the reason I was really interested in the 'challenge' that Richard and Jeremy did with the 2 cars they bought for cheap last series, then planned on seeing how long they would really last. Too bad that really didn't go anywhere.

I did however love the 'Hill Climbing' challenge they did. :)