[19x03] February 10th, 2013

[19x03] February 10th, 2013

• Total voters
the Toybaru "review" is classic case in point for what's wrong with this car. It's great for track bashing but everywhere else it becomes irritaiting after 30 minutes. Plus, the same "not as refined" faults of a mustang apply to brzs and gt86s.
Top Gear is still missing the old magic. Maybe they really are too scripted nowadays and are "all show and no go". I mean - how much car actual car content is there ? The race - yes, it was cool but did Jeremy actually say about the car ? 3 sentences and that's it instead of going back and forth about up and downsides.

Ayman, the fox whether is real or not is definitely a play on recent fox issues in London. The orange car is MP4-12c or just 12c as of latest branding

Last edited:
Oh I almost forgot, we had "shit" in the first ep, "fuck" in the second one ... And now all of a sudden they're not only beeping but pixelating too... What on earth is going on??

clarksonohgodstahp_zps8f8988f9.jpg

Makes me want an GT86 less now. :lol:

Anyone notice how they replicated a sequence from the SLR race in this one with the Mustang? When they show fading shots of Jeremy, the car, and a fuel pump under the same music:

Nice touch I say. :D

To me the episode was an improvement, but wasn't as huge a leap over the first two as many on here think. The Toyobaru review was good, the news was good (but quite awkward for some reason), the race was good (although also a bit awkward at times), and the guest was pretty good.

8/10; just slightly better than the previous two eps, nothing groud-breaking.

the Toybaru "review" is classic case in point for what's wrong with this car. It's great for track bashing but everywhere else it becomes irritaiting after 30 minutes. Plus, the same "not as refined" faults of a mustang apply to brzs and gt86s.

umm, actually...a friend and I drove from Birmingham in his Scion FR-S (Toyota GT86) to the 24h of Daytona. it was a 10 hour drive. I did 9 of it on the way back straight through, and had no issues what so ever. I actually loved the car. it's a great road car, and I felt no issues with the "quality" or whatever that you're talking about. it didn't make me nervous, it didn't wear me out, it didn't feel cheap. my only real complaint was that the stereo was crap...but guess what, it wasn't made to have a great stereo. it was made to be a fun car to drive. it did that, and it was actually still just as refined. even over a 10+ hour road trip to Daytona...that's much more than the 30 minute time slot you allot it. I loved the car.

I am still looking to download the edition of the "Fifty Shades of Grey" that Clarkson played in the Mustang during the race? Does anybody know where I can download it?

I am still looking to download the edition of the "Fifty Shades of Grey" that Clarkson played in the Mustang during the race? Does anybody know where I can download it?

It was almost certainly someone in the TG production office reading excerpts from the book, recorded on to a CD-R. If they'd used the real talking book, they'd have to pay royalties.

Wouldn't that be covered by the special BBC deal on using music?

Besides, if you had to pay for the audio book you'd have to pay for the book as well.

In pretty much any race the best car to do the job would be a TDI A6 Avant, one with the 80l fuel tank. This race was roughly 800 miles, that'd give you 38mpgus/45mpguk/6.2l/100km - very doable without refuelling or hypermiling, in great comfort and all the speed you (legally) need.
... and this would be boring as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Figures. Leave it to a Ford to let the entire automotive world down.

Overall, great episode, even if Clarkson chose the wrong car.
GM forums are thataway, bub...

Awesome episode, 10 outta 10 JUST because of that Toyota 86, I've admired the thing for a while now, but this REALLY makes me want it as the first brand new proper car I buy. The race with the Shelby was darn cool too, it's been a while since we had an epic race, and it was a nice change to see Jeremy lose for a change XD

Wouldn't that be covered by the special BBC deal on using music?

No. You're not dealing with music rights clearinghouses here, but with publishers. Fair Use copyright laws also come into play here. It's a lot more complicated than music rights. It's definitely someone reading excerpts aloud, limited to the quantity that would get covered under Fair Use. Also, the cover that Clarkson showed doesn't look like that of an audiobook. Not professional enough.

Besides, if you had to pay for the audio book you'd have to pay for the book as well.

The cost of the audiobook would probably be far less than worldwide broadcast rights for excerpts.

Best episode of this season so far, reminded me very much of season 4 or 5 when they first introduced their car vs. anything races.

No. You're not dealing with music rights clearinghouses here, but with publishers. Fair Use copyright laws also come into play here. It's a lot more complicated than music rights. It's definitely someone reading excerpts aloud, limited to the quantity that would get covered under Fair Use. Also, the cover that Clarkson showed doesn't look like that of an audiobook. Not professional enough.

The cost of the audiobook would probably be far less than worldwide broadcast rights for excerpts.

I don't think the UK has Fair Use.

As for worldwide, we don't yet know what they do with broadcasts abroad. They usually replace music to save money for example, because the special BBC deal doesn't apply abroad.

While watching the review of the GT86/BRZ, I was actually considering to ditch my current car wishes and just buy one of those. :lol:

Am I the only one who doesn't want a car that has absolutely no grip?

i want an 86 so bad! also, why do they not talk of the heritage of the 86 name like they did with Shelby?