2008 Le Mans Thread

Cheers for the updates. Got eurosport on the tv downstairs but don't want to keep my housemates up!

Go Peugeot!

<-- Drives a diesel peugeot ;)

For people wanting to watch the race online for a free check this site out.

Link: CLICK ME

Hour 13

No major dramas on this hour but things are getting interesting. All three Peugeots have been in the garage for a brief and very steamy service. That cost each a few minutes but none lost their places. So, it's still #7 Peugeot with Villeneuve at the wheel from #2 Audi with Capello driving a bit over a minute behind. #9 is still third with the two other Audis behind. Meanwhile the #8 has climbed back to sixth place despite all the trouble that has gone through, once again locking the first six places for the diesels. The petrol runners are still in order #17 Pescarolo - #5 Oreca Malmut - #16 Pescarolo.

In LMP2:s there are no changes, Van Merkstejn still leads over Team Essex 1-2 despite some problems in the pits for the latter. Saulnier Pescarolo holds third place in class. In GT1 #009 holds still holds the lead with the #63 Corvette about 40 seconds behind. #007 Aston and #64 Corvette still hold third and fourth. No news in GT2, still Ferrari 1-5 and Risi leading.

Damn Hazardous thanks so much for the updates! I can't believe neither NZ or Australia gets any Le Mans coverage, turned on TV1 which is supposed to be sports and they are showing the BMX world championships :hammer:

I remember a few years back they had 24 hour coverage can't remember which channel though. You can't even get decent rugby coverage unless you have paid TV anymore.

Its still weird to see just four men wheel an entire racing car into the garage (car hole) so easily! Only just got back from a gig, hopefully the next few hours will be exciting!

In an unrelated topic: I'm not a fan of the gulf colours on the Aston, get British Racing Green back!

Still waiting for the time of truly international web television where I could sign up to watch V8 Supercars if I wanted to. No dice now...

Anyway, 14th hour
The rain certainly mixed things up. Jacques Villeneuve in the leading #7 Peugeot semed to struggle in his first wet laps while Tom Kristensen racked up some seriously fast laps and closed the gap down to half a minute. Meanwhile Mike Rockenfeller has been the fastest car on track in the rain and overtaken the #9 Peugeot for third place. #1 still holds fifth and #8 sixth place. The gaps are closing, this is looking really interesting right now... No changes in the petrol league...

In LMP2 both Porsches have had problems, the Van Merkstejn car speding some time in the garage with problems in the front end and Team Essex car also spending time in the pits. They still hold positions 1 and 2 in class with Saulnier running on third. The Speedy Racing Lola that was on third place for a long time hit something near the pit exit and is now at the pits for repairs.

Also dramas in GT1, the gap between #009 Aston and #63 Corvette is down to 15 seconds. #007 car came to pits a few minutes ago, the engine sounded just about like a sick v8 and the car was reeled into garage for repairs. That promotes #64 Corvette to third, and if the repairs take too long the #72 Luc Alphand Aventures Corvette is going to take fourth.

In GT2 there are no major changes but there was a bit of drama, though, as the leading Risi car hit alternator problems that cost them some time. They still maintain the lead by over one lap over the Virgo car, and Ferraris stay on positions 1-5.

Finally Speed has Le Mans on, I've been watching it for the past hour and a bit. God I wish they would of put it on all day oh well, this years race is sure a good one.

Looks like the rain is going to be a great advantage to Audi. I can't believe the front runners are so close. Peugeot sure is giving them a run for their money.

Hope the Astons can hold on to GT1 :)

Hour 15, almost two thirds of the way in...

Another lead change! Shortly after 14 hour mark the leaders pitted on the same lap and as Peugeot was doing a driver change and Audi was only taking tyres Tom Kristensen emerged from the pits as the leader. Over the hour the lead has gone from ten seconds up to over a minute, with Kristensen constantly setting faster times than Marc Gene who took over the #7 car. #3 car with Rockenfeller still at the wheel is still going strong as well, having extended their advantage over the #9 Peugeot to well over a minute. #1 Audi still holds fifth and #8 Peugeot sixth. The Pescarolos have taken 1-2 in the petrol field, as #5 Oreca Malmut has been in some trouble including a spin on the Ford chicane earlier that I forgot to mention.

In LMP2 both Porsches have spent more time in the pits but are still holding the 1-2 with Van Merkstejn leading Team Essex car. Saulnier is still on third but with trouble for the Porsches has closed the gap to the Essex car to a lap.

In GT1 no dramas at the top, #009 still leads the two Corvettes. The gap between first and second is now two minutes. #72 Luc Alphand entered Corvette is now on fourth one lap ahead of the unlucky #007 Aston that is back on track after it's problems.

And once again nothing to report in GT2, Risi still leads five ferraris at the top.

16 hours done, still eight more to go.

It's really interesting now on the lead. On the wet track Marc Gene in the Peugeot has clawed back the gap to Allan McNish, and the gap between #2 and #7 is now under 20 seconds. #9 Peugeot with now Franck Montagny at the wheel has claimed back the third place from #3 Audi. #1 and #8 still hold places 5 and 6. Pescarolo still holds the lead in petrol runners...

... but LMP2 leader Van Merkstejn Porsche is now up on eight place overall and second fastest of the petrol runners.

No big news in GTs, #009 Aston still leads the Vettes in GT1 and Risi leads the pack of Ferraris in GT2.

17th hour
Still pretty close in the front. The gap has opened up back to nearly minute but the main contenders are closely matched on pace. Now it's down to weather, the Audi seems to be able to match the Peugeots on the wet but as we saw earlier in the race they are faster on the dry weather. #9 also on good place but still two laps down, while the Audis #3 and #1 seem to be working on finishing the race safely. #8 is still setting good lap times on sixth but is unlikely to move anywhere without problems to them or cars ahead. #17 Pescarolo leads petrol runners from #5 Oreca Matmut.

Van Merkstejn still holds LMP2 lead and is on 9th place overall, but Saulnier Racing Pescarolo has passed the Team Essex Porsche for second place in class. GT1 is still led by #009 Aston with the two factory Corvettes chasing, and GT2 is also going as before with Risi leading pack of Ferraries.

I still think that a mob of Frenchmen will mob the track, flip over the Peugeots, and set them on fire before the final lap. It's traditional now... :D :D :D

I still think that a mob of Frenchmen will mob the track, flip over the Peugeots, and set them on fire before the final lap. It's traditional now... :D :D :D

I'd expect them to do so for the Audis, before the finish...

Anyway, 18th hour update.
No major dramas on this hour. The #2 Audi still extends the lead over the 2nd placed #7 Peugeot. The Audis seem to be much better in the wet than the Peugeots and it has been going wetter they have had the advantage, but if it starts drying it'll be a chase to the finish. P2 is still led by Van Merkstejn Porsche over the Saulnier Pescarolo and Team Essex Porsche, Aston still leads GT1 ahead of the two Corvettes and the #007 that has taken the fourth from the Alphand Corvette. And Ferraris still dominate GT2.

Argh I can't believe this, the justin.tv link doesn't stream properly probably cause its from Europe. I'm sitting here watching the timing info from the Le Mans website wondering wtf is going on. Why did #7 Peugeot pit twice??? I honestly can't believe I can't get any footage at all.

I am so moving to a country with Le Mans coverage before next year's event! My head is exploding from the frustration of not knowing anything.

Do the drivers usually sleep during 24-hours races? Obviously I mean when they're not driving :D

Argh I can't believe this, the justin.tv link doesn't stream properly probably cause its from Europe. I'm sitting here watching the timing info from the Le Mans website wondering wtf is going on. Why did #7 Peugeot pit twice??? I honestly can't believe I can't get any footage at all.

I am so moving to a country with Le Mans coverage before next year's event! My head is exploding from the frustration of not knowing anything.

I'm using Radio Lemans for commentary, and this:

http://24ur.com/sport/ostalo/prenos-24-ur-le-mans.html

for video with the sound muted - higher quality than the justin.tv feed too.

Do the drivers usually sleep during 24-hours races? Obviously I mean when they're not driving :D

Depends on the driver. Some get a nap during the night when drivers are doing longer stints (might even get four hours off the car at a time), other's stay awake for the duration.

Hour 17

Five hours to go, and the leaders have just passed the 300 lap mark. The #2 Audi has a one lap lead over the #7 Peugeot thanks to pit stop strategy although Minassian is going at full speed to unlate himself. The track is drying and the Peugeots are starting to find pace again. Christian Klien is running at top pace on third place but still two laps behind, and Stephane Sarrazin also running faster than the Audis in the #6 car. In between #3 and #1 Audis are running at safe pace on fourth and fifth. Pescarolo is still leading petrol runners and holding seventh overall and the Oreca Matmut on eight.

Van Merkstejn still leads P2 but Team Essex has finally found their way abck to second place in class, passing the Saulnier Pescarolo. The #009 Aston has a healthy lead of GT1 with a lap of advantage over the two Corvettes. #007 holds fourth but after their problems they are several laps behind the Vettes. GT2 is still led by Risi Competizione Ferrari who area a lap ahead of Virgo Motorsport Ferrari. BMS Scuderia Italia Ferrari is another two laps behind, Farnbacher Ferrari further three laps behind and the JMB is another seven laps behind rounding up the top five sweep for the prancing horse.

fbc thanks for your help but I have tried all of those as well. Unfortunately due to the unique way that Telecom in New Zealand works, the fastest speed I can get from anything from Europe is about 20 KB/s right now in brief patches. Not even enough to sustain a good radio stream! Therefore I have been kicked back to the 56K era in the Le Mans coverage and am forced to look at the timing info for my live updates :p