2008 Le Mans Thread

It was a seriously thrilling final hour. The rain made things interesting and Peugeot took a final gamble to win the race but in the end it didn't pay off. It's a fantastic victory for #2 Audi and historic 8th win for Tom Kristensen. Also a great run by the Peugeots, all three cars finished and only one of them had serious technical issues which I did not expect. They gave everything they had but this time it was not enough.

In P2:s the Posrches were in their own class, a great battle once again between Aston and Corvette, this time going to the britons, and a dominant performance by the Risi Competizione Ferrari in GT2.

I'm sure someone will post the full results, I need to go out and find some food before the second WTCC race. But a longer report will be coming up later. In any case, out of the long distance races I have watched so far this was by far and away the best I have seen. An epic race.

FUCK YEAH ASTON MARTIN!!!!

Well done Audi, they are superb another victory at Le Mans. :)

Thanks Hazardous for the hourly updates, they were great. Go get some sleep now. ;)

so damn close...:(

congrats to the astons for running a great race and defending their title. it's amazing to see a 24 hour long race come down to a matter of minutes.

i hate audi...i would have liked to see the pug's finally beat them, there is always next year... but of course i did say that last year, :D

now, i'm going to bed.

Little thing...

Despite the spells of rain, the Pugs and Audis picked up such astonishing speed compared to last year, that they managed to beat the distance record set in 2006 (380 laps) by one lap. The no.2 Audi and the no.7 Peugeot each completed 381 laps.

Another Great Race!

The Aston Martin's Rocked!

Netherlands-flag.gif

Merksteijn Motorsports won in the LMP2 class! Congratulations to Jos Verstappen, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Peter van Merksteijn!

:dance:

That was an incredible GT1 battle. Congrats to Aston, we'll be back next year though.

From tehnical specifications the peugeot has a 50 hp advance over the audi, really cannot understand that slow pace in the rain, in the dry they ate the audis alive, still ... great race,
oh and strategy was the deciding factor in this race, peugot really risked it going on with the slicks when the rain started.

Well... I guess it's the factor of fuel consumption and unusable torque, as also TC and the HDi and TDI don't mix, rendering the diesels TC-less. So probably the Pugs struggled when trying to put the power down out of the corners.

Wow that was close. I must admit I started dozing off near the end so things are a bit sketchy for me then. Peugeot should focus on improving their pit crew's speed, as they were slower than Audi there, and they could have used the extra time on the track.

Wow that was close. I must admit I started dozing off near the end so things are a bit sketchy for me then. Peugeot should focus on improving their pit crew's speed, as they were slower than Audi there, and they could have used the extra time on the track.

It was also because the Pugs pace was so quick they were using a lot more fuel than the Audi's. They did have problems in the pit though too, but not enough to lose the lead

I'm glad McNish finally got his win with Audi, even if it is the last time the R10 run, maybe even the last time Audi run in the LMP1 class.

Uh... what makes you say that? There is another year when open-cockpit cars will be allowed in LMP1.

Open cockpit cars are allowed even futher on to the future than that (AFAIK that was announced in the ACO press conference on friday) but apparently this could be the last year Audi will be running the R10. I don't think there's anything official on that, though, more of rumour mill.

Uh... what makes you say that? There is another year when open-cockpit cars will be allowed in LMP1.

I heard plenty of journalist saying Audi are going to retire the R10 soon, The eurosport guys said it at the end and there was speculation on Radio Le Mans on what Audi would be doing next year. They could easily turn the car into a Coup?, I just think that when the diesels are made more equal with the petrols they won't be as keen to race.