2009 German Formula 1 Grand Prix

Glock given a grid penalty for blocking Alonso:

Timo Glock has been relegated to the back of the grid for tomorrow's German Grand Prix for blocking Fernando Alonso in qualifying.

The Toyota driver was hit with a three-place penalty, albeit costing him only one place on the grid as he qualified 19th, after baulking the Spaniard while distracted by discussing strategy with his pit.

"I had just made a mistake on the lap and I was asking if I had to stay out or come in for new tyres," Glock told AUTOSPORT.

"They said stay out, I accelerated, looked behind me and there was Alonso in the mirror. I just didn't see him."

The German was also given a reprimand for the incident, as it was deemed to be "potentially dangerous" by stewards.

Glock also admitted that he could opt to start from the pit-lane for tomorrow's race
Article - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76876

Not that its made much of a difference! Except for Bourdais that is.

Last edited:
Was expecting that tbh...that was a bad move on Glock's part...

EDIT: And will people quit neg repping me for that bug in my sig, it's just a joke, jeez. I've had four neg reps in the past month for that thing...

Last edited:
Fantastic Quali session. This is just what the doctor ordered for Formula One. I expect the race tomorrow to be intriguing, and if there's rain, perhaps even a classic. Well done Webber, much improved pace for Mclaren, and Sutil 7th!

Weights are up
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/ger09_document_21.pdf

01 McLaren Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 654.5
02 McLaren Mercedes Heikki Kovalainen 664.0
03 Ferrari Felipe Massa 673.5
04 Ferrari Kimi R?ikk?nen 674.0
05 BMW Sauber Robert Kubica 673.5*
06 BMW Sauber Nick Heidfeld 681.0*
07 Renault Fernando Alonso 668.2*
08 Renault Nelson Piquet 676.0
09 Toyota Jarno Trulli 683.7*
10 Toyota Timo Glock 662.3*
11 STR Ferrari S?bastien Bourdais 689.5*
12 STR Ferrari S?bastien Buemi 674.5*
14 RBR Renault Mark Webber 661.0
15 RBR Renault Sebastian Vettel 661.0
16 Williams Toyota Nico Rosberg 689.6*
17 Williams Toyota Kazuki Nakajima 683.6*
20 Force India Mercedes Adrian Sutil 678.5
21 Force India Mercedes Giancarlo Fisichella 662.5*
22 Brawn Mercedes Jenson Button 644.0
23 Brawn Mercedes Rubens Barrichello 647.0

Weights are up
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/ger09_document_21.pdf

01 McLaren Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 654.5
02 McLaren Mercedes Heikki Kovalainen 664.0
03 Ferrari Felipe Massa 673.5
04 Ferrari Kimi R?ikk?nen 674.0
05 BMW Sauber Robert Kubica 673.5*
06 BMW Sauber Nick Heidfeld 681.0*
07 Renault Fernando Alonso 668.2*
08 Renault Nelson Piquet 676.0
09 Toyota Jarno Trulli 683.7*
10 Toyota Timo Glock 662.3*
11 STR Ferrari S?bastien Bourdais 689.5*
12 STR Ferrari S?bastien Buemi 674.5*
14 RBR Renault Mark Webber 661.0
15 RBR Renault Sebastian Vettel 661.0
16 Williams Toyota Nico Rosberg 689.6*
17 Williams Toyota Kazuki Nakajima 683.6*
20 Force India Mercedes Adrian Sutil 678.5
21 Force India Mercedes Giancarlo Fisichella 662.5*
22 Brawn Mercedes Jenson Button 644.0
23 Brawn Mercedes Rubens Barrichello 647.0
Oh dear! They are the lightest by far! Not looking good for Brawn's pace.

But Sutil is the heaviest of the top 10! That really is some achievement, he outqualified the 2 Ferrari's on merit!

EDIT: Kovalainen looks impressive too as he is 10 kilos heavier than Hamilton and without the new diffuser, and only one place back.

EDIT 2:

EDIT: And will people quit neg repping me for that bug in my sig, it's just a joke, jeez. I've had four neg reps in the past month for that thing...

I quite like it actually! +1 make up rep.

Last edited:
hmm, webber must be really happy now,
ferraris are normally starting well, so maybe a good race for them, kovalainen did well to..
and sutil! amazing.

Wow! Sutil beat the Ferraris with a heavier fuel load!! That is some serious driving from him...Kovalainen did very well, too he's ten kg heavier than Lewis and only right behind him...

Damn!!!!! I've just been called by my Maths teacher and I'll miss the race. I'll have to remember not to check anything when I get back home...

Yeah that's really difficult to do, once I was listening to a German Jazz Radio stream and they announced (in German) the winner of the Spanish GP. My God I was angry.

Anyway, we're all too curious now. What is this Maths emergency?

You all say Kovi is 10kg heavier but only 1 place further than Lewis, he was 1.2sec slower per lap in Q3 with that fuel load so its likely the top 5 will leave everybody else behind.

just been to f1technical.net and they have a poll, Who will win at Nurburgring?

Massa 26%, Webber 6%. WTF is going on? LOL

I didn't watch the practice or qualifying, but it sounds like conditions were crazy. Nice to see Webber on pole, but hopefully Brawn can win tomorrow. It will be an interesting race, that's for sure.

Good result for McLaren, but I think everyone is getting a bit carried away by their result today. I doubt that they've made that much progress, I think the track just suits their cars (like Ferrari in Monaco). It also explains why Hekki was just behind Hamilton, even though he doesn't have all the new parts.

Well... the car weights make the pre-race picture all the more clear. Quite a stonker by Webber compared to his team-mate, on exactly the same strategy. As people have said, since now he's ahead, he will get the best call on the strategy tomorrow for the second and third stints. Rubens and Jenson will probably have to fight for 3rd, maybe with Hamilton keeping them company.

I'm thoroughly impressed by Sutil. He and his team timed their Q2 laps perfectly and then he got the car, on merit, ahead of the Ferraris with a heavier load. If he keeps his head, he does seem to have the car underneath him to score some points, and with the right calls if the weather is changeable, he might be an outside bet for the podium. As expected, the last 4 in the top ten are filled up heavily. As for the rest... let's wait and see if their strategies unfold as planned.

Wow! Sutil beat the Ferraris Hamilton was nearly as quick as the Brawns with a heavier fuel load!! That is some serious driving from him...Kovalainen did very well, too he's ten kg heavier than Lewis and only right behind him...

Fixed. :p

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Whooaaaaa, Adrian Sutil! Nice job that Man :D I'm really pleased to see a Force India in the top ten and I hope they can score their first points tomorrow. I think Vettel has a good chance for second seeing how light the Brawns are fuelled, but it shows what a good job Webber did with that time on the same fuel load. I've got my fingers crossed for him tonight :D

Congratulations to Webber for his 1st ever pole! Well done by McLaren boys, capitalising on the weather hussle, and getting all the way. I came back home from a local rock festival during the end of Q2, so I don't really now how chaotical it was. Sutil was fabulous though, P7! Let's hope Force India's race pace is as good as it was in Silverstone, so Sutil can score some points. It'll be an extremely exciting race, with the fuels and the weather and all. I hope it's a good one, as this will be my last F1-race I get to follow properly and with enthusiasm this year, because I have to go to the army.