2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Huh? It is Button who will be driving with the #1 on his car, not Hamilton.

most likely the triangle at the end of the Bridgestone text is facing the wrong way when rolled forward

Yes, the triangle indicates the direction the tires should turn when going forwards. Why it matters I don't know, but I'm sure it does.

I haven't been following too closely in the off-season, but can someone explain why Hamilton has the #1 on his car and Button the #2? No recognition for the reigning WDC?

Definitely Button gets No 1. :cool:

Yes, the triangle indicates the direction the tires should turn when going forwards. Why it matters I don't know, but I'm sure it does.

Well, the tires are designed to be run on their respective corners. It's more optimal that way. What changes they make to the tire I've no idea - probably differing side wall thickness on either side and possibly asymetrical mounting to the rim. Doubt anyone but Birdgestone knows that.

Last edited:
I like how every single of the news teams say "we'll be in the points". A bit ambitious?

Well, the tires are designed to be run on their respective corners. It's more optimal that way. What changes they make to the tire I've no idea - probably differing side wall thickness on either side and possibly asymetrical mounting to the rim. Doubt anyone but Birdgestone knows that.

Just something else, aren't these just display tyres with heaps of shine on it? So what if its on the wrong way? is it just someone wanting to point it out?

Don't really know where to post this, but I just got back from the car show (Geneva), and due to my friend getting VIP at Ferrari, I spent some time on the stand inspecting every little detail of the F60. It was great, certainly as I was able to do the same last year with the F2008. Everything looks a lot more low-tech and GP2-ish almost compared to 2008 with all the winglets. Of course, I couldn't resist the temptation to look at the double diffuser properly by sticing my head down the thing (well, almost), and it's really quite interesting. Even in 09, you can really see where the extra air comes from (beside the step plane), and the sheer amount of air that could pass through there. And then imagining that the diffusers this year go up to the wing beam, just made me realize the size of these things. Very impressive.

I was also surprised at the simplicity of the front wing eventhough it was their last incarnation of it. Eventhough I'd imagine that the Red Bull or McLaren wing would be something else entirely, this was really just a flap attached to the wing with barely any Bernoulli going on anywhere.

Other than that it was much as expected, though real F1 cars always seem bigger when you're right beside them than they do on TV.

Just thought I'd share the experience :cool:

Just something else, aren't these just display tyres with heaps of shine on it? So what if its on the wrong way? is it just someone wanting to point it out?

I think it was someone just pointing it out, I'm really sure it doesn't matter an iota which way they round they are on the display car. Found it interesting though.

Senna says the Dallara Chassis for HRT is the best.

Senna says the Dallara Chassis for HRT is the best.

"Lotus and Virgin were in Barcelona, just a good second faster than the GP2 cars, of which Dallara has all the data," Senna, nephew of late 3-time World Champion Ayrton, said in his column for Motorsport Magazine.

"According to their calculations, we should be faster than the GP2 cars right away, by two seconds...of course, much will also depend on whether the car is stable from the beginning, to some extent.
from GPUpdate

I never thought to compare the new teams to the GP2 Chassis's... Interesting. Im very tempted to believe this, as Dallara has experience designing F1 chassis - and does basically build all the open wheel chassis of other formulae. This is a pretty good R+D plan, being directly involved in building prototype chassis.

But seriously what does he know until he runs the thing...

Last edited:
I don't understand teams that know for a fact they won't be anywhere near front race pace, surely being in formula 1 for the sake of it can't be financially rewarding

I don't understand teams that know for a fact they won't be anywhere near front race pace, surely being in formula 1 for the sake of it can't be financially rewarding
You never know. I never heard of Dallara before so I wouldn't know how to relate to them, now though since i heard about them I did a tiny bit of research and I know they are generally referred to as a very high quality company. How many more people does this info get to just by being in F1?

Dallara make the GP2, the IndyCar car (and Lights), the WSR car (which is closest to the F1 car), and a Formula 3. That's a whole hell of a lot of formula cars with a long ton of teams sending in data.

And, if I remember correctly, they're also the people Audi turned to to build the chassis for the R10 and R15 LMP1s as well. Just to emphasize their current motorsport experience even more.

So we're basically saying that HRT's car might not suck? :p

Given the available photographs, it's obvious that they've spent most of the time to get the packaging right, leaving the fancy wings for later.

So we're basically saying that HRT's car might not suck? :p

Precisely, Dallara normally know what they're doing. Now... reliability, that's another matter. But I'd be surprised if the HRT car is very far off the pace of the Virgin or the Lotus (when they're all three running, that is).

And, if I remember correctly, they're also the people Audi turned to to build the chassis for the R10 and R15 LMP1s as well. Just to emphasize their current motorsport experience even more.

Are we counting their Scuderia Italia efforts in the early Nineties? Coz they were rubbish :p

Although I fear for them a little (and for pretty much all the new teams TBH) I'm prepared to reserve judgement on HRT until quali in Bahrein. I don't put much weight on practice at all, that's just how it is.

I just wish the car wasn't grey.....well, it's the wrong kind of grey, it should be battleship / fighter jet grey. That would be awesome. Like a new weapon about to be tested :twisted:

Feels a bit weird calling them HRT when the only HRT I acknowledge are the Holden Racing Team :p
Brilliant idea! Just keep the name to HRT and call Holden to start the team under the HRT name! :lol: