2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Maybe because they were never granted an entry slot in the first place? :dunno:

Exactly. They filed an application for one of the three slots, but were rejected (along with Epsilon, Lola, Prodrive, N.Technology etc.; also squads like RML saw the conditions and didn't even bother to file an application)

Exactly. They filed an application for one of the three slots, but were rejected (along with Epsilon, Lola, Prodrive, N.Technology etc.; also squads like RML saw the conditions and didn't even bother to file an application)

Oh yeah, because gaining an official entry slot from the FIA really meant you were the best candidate. :rolleyes:

They basically chose teams who were only going to use Cosworth engines and of that four, two were dud teams (USF1 and Campos and arguably "Manor GP" which was luckily rescued by Beardy Branson and Virgin).

Not to mention that one of Mosley's right-hand man had connections with the then "Manor GP" which I'm sure helped Manor get their entry.

There are several reasons why a campaigner like Stefanovic should not be allowed anywhere near a F1 paddock, but I've got to leave for classes and I haven't got time to list them right now.

There are several reasons why a campaigner like Stefanovic should not be allowed anywhere near a F1 paddock, but I've got to leave for classes and I haven't got time to list them right now.

Yes I know why Stefan GP should not get an entry. The "Horse Whisperer" on ferrari.com said it perfectly, and it turns out he was right after all.

I just found your "BUT THEY HAVEN'T GOT A PROPER ENTRY FROM THE FIA" posts rather annoying, that's all.

As for USFail1 you have to admit that at the time when FIA was choosing teams for 2010 they wasn't bad choice. They announced that they want to start even before 2009 season and said they were preparing car all year. So i looked ok till the YT videos, where USF1 showed us guys in front of computers instead of showing the car like other teams.

Yes, I think that instead of Manor (which luckily was acquired by Branson) and Campos (which will have problems all the time) they should choose some less controversial candidates (Prodrive, Lola). But USF1 really looked, at the time, like a good idea. F1 need some comeback to US and like I said, team looked like one of the best candidate then.

And interesting that you mentioned that because if they've started preparing since 2009, why haven't they gotten anything done?

Well USF1 were good until a sponsor pulled out in mid January, according to Ken Anderson.

In other news:

Teams seek McLaren wing clarification

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, March 4th 2010, 08:48 GMT

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner has revealed that his team and Ferrari are seeking clarification from the FIA about the legality of McLaren's rear wing design.

The design of the MP4-25 was the subject of discussion during last week's final pre-season test at Barcelona in Spain - amid suggestions that the layout of its airbox and engine cover was helping to stall the rear-wing at high-speed and delivering the car extra straight-line performance.

Now, Horner has revealed, his team and Ferrari have taken the matter to the FIA to ask whether the governing body believes it to be legal.

"There's a bit of a fuss over McLaren's rear wing," Horner said during a lunch with British newspaper journalists.

"They have a slot on it and they can pick up a lot of straight-line speed. I think it will get resolved before the first race. We've asked the FIA for clarification although I think Ferrari are probably more excited than we are to be honest."

Horner said that the introduction of wing slot-gap separators several years ago was designed to stop attempts to stall wings - but he thinks the McLaren design could be being used as a way of getting around the regulations.

"Basically, if you stall the wing you take all the drag off it and pick up straight-line speed," he said. "It's something that's been done quite a lot over the years but with the wing separators you're not supposed to do that.

"Our question ultimately will be: 'Is it clever design or is it in breach of the regulations'?"

He added: "They must be very confident that it's legal. I would think it will be legal."

Source

Sigh. Hopefully the FIA issue a prompt clarification and nip this before it becomes a major issue like the diffuser debacle last year. I have high hopes for Jean Todt. He has a very successful history at Peugeot and Ferrari and is his own man. Under Mosely I doubt McLaren would have a chance, whether it was legal or not!

Yes I know why Stefan GP should not get an entry. The "Horse Whisperer" on ferrari.com said it perfectly, and it turns out he was right after all.

I just found your "BUT THEY HAVEN'T GOT A PROPER ENTRY FROM THE FIA" posts rather annoying, that's all.

I was just trying to emphasize the fact that these reasons were what caused the FIA not to give them en entry either in June last year or now.

Anyway, I'll stop talking about it now.

In other news:

Source

Sigh. Hopefully the FIA issue a prompt clarification and nip this before it becomes a major issue like the diffuser debacle last year. I have high hopes for Jean Todt. He has a very successful history at Peugeot and Ferrari and is his own man. Under Mosely I doubt McLaren would have a chance, whether it was legal or not!

Christian Horner is either lying or Ferrari is very quietly pursue the FIA regarding McLaren's rear wing, because we haven't heard anything from Ferrari that suggests that they are unhappy with McLaren's wing.

edit:

Look at this:

McLaren confident of wing legality

McLaren believes there will be no legality issue with the design of its rear wing, despite Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner revealing that his team is seeking clarification from the FIA over the matter.

Horner told the British newspaper media that his outfit and Ferrari were unhappy about the way that McLaren was using the airbox and engine cover to help stall the rear wing of the MP4-25 - which could give the team a straight-line advantage.

"There's a bit of a fuss over McLaren's rear wing," Horner was quoted as saying. "They have a slot on it and they can pick up a lot of straight-line speed.

"I think it will get resolved before the first race. We've asked the FIA for clarification although I think Ferrari are probably more excited than we are to be honest."

McLaren has, however, moved to play down the matter - and says it is not only sure the design is wholly within the regulations but also has questioned whether Ferrari are as upset as Red Bull Racing.

A spokesman for the Woking-based team said: "We're very confident that our car is entirely legal - and we're not aware of any protest. In fact, we've spoken to Ferrari this morning and they're not aware of any protest either."

Ferrari sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that the team has no intention of taking the matter further, and have ruled out the possibility of it lodging a protest.

Source

Last edited:
Well, expect Ferrari yo have the same wing construction by first European GP.

McLaren Mercedes
1 Jenson Button (GB)
2 Lewis Hamilton (GB)

Mercedes Benz GP Limited
3 Michael Schumacher (D)
4 Nico Rosberg (D)

Red Bull Racing Renault
5 Sebastian Vettel (D)
6 Mark Webber (AUS)

Ferrari
7 Felipe Massa (BR)
8 Fernando Alonso (E)

Williams Cosworth
9 Rubens Barrichello (BR)
10 Nico Hulkenberg (D)

Renault
11 Robert Kubica (PL)
12 Vitaly Petrov (RUS)

Force India Mercedes
14 Adrian Sutil (D)
15 Vitantonio Liuzzi (I)

STR Ferrari
16 Sebastien Buemi (CH)
17 Jaime Alguersuari (E)

Lotus Cosworth
18 Jarno Trulli (I)
19 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN)

HRT Cosworth
20 TBA
21 Bruno Senna (BR)

BMW Sauber Ferrari
22 Pedro de la Rosa (E)
23 Kamui Kobayashi (J)

Virgin Cosworth
24 Timo Glock (D)
25 Lucas di Grassi (BR)

IMG_0586--647x231.jpg

Car looks simple, but a decent picture would be nice.