2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

What part of "it's been used since your father had diapers" don't you understand? Calling Ferrari fans "tifosi" goes back way beyond 2000.

I meant I read about the history of the use of tifosi in a paper then. The paper suggested it only came into widespread usage to specifically mean a Ferrari fan in the early 90s and I've never seen anything that suggests different.

Yeah like no other languages use specific english words to refer to a certain type of fans... like Hooligans.
Anyway, back to F1?

There are fundamental differences between CFD and reality. Noticably, almost everything.

Which is why, for this weekend i'll be rooting for HRT to rub it in Nick Wirth's face.

I meant I read about the history of the use of tifosi in a paper then. The paper suggested it only came into widespread usage to specifically mean a Ferrari fan in the early 90s and I've never seen anything that suggests different.

I did come across some article that said the same thing, but end of the day it's what the media uses also, and that's what i'll stick with.

Webber brought up an interesting point during the China post race interview. He noted that he overtook some of the guys and they simply couldn't fight back because he had better tyre grip. In that, he said that its more tactical now rather than really racing.

EDIT: Found a youtube reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkDS4cCqUk

I was kind of surprised by Nico's sheer disappointment post-race, they must have genuinely felt they had a chance to win the race had it not been for their fuel saving issues.

It may well be that this season is decided by tactical decisions rather than out-right speed, but if racing means the same guy is going to win every week, I know what I'd rather have. I don't think any of the new additions have made development and having a quick car obsolete, it's just tightened things up at the front which as a spectacle, is far more interesting than racing for 2nd place every week.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the tactical means less racing. It does make sense (if Hamilton was on a 2 stopper as well he would not have won), but let's be honest, tactics have always been such a huge part of it (except maybe last year). Also, it puts the driver in a situation where he HAS to make bold moves and overtake like Lewis and Webber did. A lesser driver couldn't do that, so the skill counts.

We're seeing a lot of overtakings but not many actual fights for position. Most of the times it's someone with a huge grip advantage and the person in front can't fight back even if they're driving like God.

No overtaking: mpicco complains.
Lots of overtaking: mpicco complains.

Where's ahpadt?

No overtaking: mpicco complains.
Lots of overtaking: mpicco complains.

And yet something tells me that if Ferrari were winning he'd be loving the new rules...

I think it was more of an observation in regards to the previous posts, rather than a complaint. :p

We're seeing a lot of overtakings but not many actual fights for position. Most of the times it's someone with a huge grip advantage and the person in front can't fight back even if they're driving like God.
Definitely the case so far. I actually don't mind the so-called contrived results because as a spectacle it's put greater emphasis on strategy and not just out-right speed, which I think makes for an interesting season. However, because of the way the Pirelli's have worked, in combination with DRS and KERS, you can have the situation you described where someone is virtually a sitting duck. Perhaps only 2 out of the 3 additions would have been necessary to provide a shake-up for overtaking.

I think it was more of an observation in regards to the previous posts, rather than a complaint. :p

Definitely the case so far. I actually don't mind the so-called contrived results because as a spectacle it's put greater emphasis on strategy and not just out-right speed, which I think makes for an interesting season. However, because of the way the Pirelli's have worked, in combination with DRS and KERS, you can have the situation you described where someone is virtually a sitting duck. Perhaps only 2 out of the 3 additions would have been necessary to provide a shake-up for overtaking.

Webber brought up an interesting point during the China post race interview. He noted that he overtook some of the guys and they simply couldn't fight back because he had better tyre grip. In that, he said that its more tactical now rather than really racing.

EDIT: Found a youtube reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkDS4cCqUk

My post got ignored........:(

My post got ignored........:(
It may well be that this season is decided by tactical decisions rather than out-right speed, but if racing means the same guy is going to win every week, I know what I'd rather have. I don't think any of the new additions have made development and having a quick car obsolete, it's just tightened things up at the front which as a spectacle, is far more interesting than racing for 2nd place every week.
;)

Being a tifosi should be classified as a eating dissorder or a severe mental handicap.

You think you're funny or something? You do realise that there are other Ferrari fans here who read this? Cool down, asshole.