2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-s...m-owner-in-china/story-e6frf3zl-1226054620044

Adrian Sutil in nightclub fight with Formula One team owner in China

Eric Lux, chief executive of Genii Capital, which owns Lotus Renault was left bloodied after the scrape with Formula One driver Adrian Sutil in a Chinese nightclub, website 422race.com has reported.

A Lotus Renault team spokesman confirmed that an incident occurred involving Lux, but wouldn't be drawn on the details.

"Lotus Renault GP is, however, not in a position to make any comments, as it is a private matter between Eric and the other person."

Sutil reportedly injured Lux with a glass during the altercation, that left Lux with blood streaming down his neck.

The Force India driver has released a statement claiming the injury was accidental.

"At the event, which I attended as a private person, something happened which was a very unfortunate action on my part," he said.

"I injured another person completely unintentionally."

"I regret the incident very much and have apologised. As it is a private matter with no connection to F1 or my job as an F1 driver I hope you will understand that I will not answer any more questions on this."

Sutil's friend Lewis Hamilton was rushed out of the same room by his bodyguards moments later.

No charges have yet been laid and Formula One's governing body, the FIA, are not expected to investigate the matter.

:blink:

Lewis Hamilton was rushed out of the same room by his bodyguards moments later.

Say what now?

Say what now?

The Lux guy is lucky he did not cross father and son Button. That would have been a bar brawl of 1970s-worthy proportions.

More F1 drivers need to get into fights and get drunk and high and get caught with hookers. Bring some personality back to the grid.

Kinda funny that. Sutil is the last driver I would expect to get into a fight with someone, but good on him. I wonder what sparked the confrontation. Guess its good thing that Force India isn't using Renault engines and such.

More F1 drivers need to get into fights and get drunk and high and get caught with hookers. Bring some personality back to the grid.

THIS.

That is YOUR expectation towards Ferrari as a fan. I'm sure every team on the grid in formula 1 every year would like to win the title or else is a failed year. That's just stating the blatant obvious. Let me remind you F1 is the most competitive form of motorsport and having such "standards" just add to that fanatic snobbery mentality a lot of Ferrari fans exudes just because they've seen what they've archieved in the last decade. In a (more) neutral point of view, Ferrari never fell out of contention and I deeply respect what they were able to archieve during those years despite the tech handicap.

I'm sorry if my opinion tripped over your opinion towards Schumacher as you became a Ferrari fan when Schumacher joined but I'm just trying to bring about why Ferrari became THAT successful. If you do not agree with me, then just leave it at that. Schumacher was constantly given a superior car compare to his peers so he could get all those poles and wins. Much like what Vettel is doing at the moment. In the Turkish GP this year, Alonso managed to get to the podium despite an inferior car. Vettel nursed his car home to get the win. Huge respect for Alonso. Vettel did not crash. Yay. Sometimes results isn't everything when it comes to comparing drivers. It's about what they've got under them and what they've archieve despite of/ because of it.

Edit: Thank you mpicco for correcting my embarassing error on the semi-auto gearbox. Ferrari managed to come up with 7 speed semi-automatic transmission in 61 years of formula one competition.

I still don't see any reason behind not giving a man respect just because he's on the best car of the grid, and specially when you throw in examples that don't make any sense. Schumacher and Vettel fit your definitions of a good driver: "drivers that move up the ranks from the very bottom, as a relative unknown, and gain fame, success and fortune with what they did on the track, race in and race out." Vettel won in a damn Toro Rosso in the rain, Schumacher fought for the championship in a car none of his team mates could tame, but you will just blindly say they were spoon fed. If you don't like them, that's fine with me, but don't say neither of them didn't grow out of humble beginnings and then worked hard/had a bit of luck in finding their dominant cars.
And no, not every team has championship winning expectations, they are more grounded and realistic than that, the same way not all football clubs expect to win the cup this year, some are just happy to not be relegated.

As far as the gearbox comment, save the sarcasm. You've requested to be corrected if there was a sport-changing technology introduced by Ferrari and I did just that. Not a 1 year gimmick like the F-duct or the double diffusers, you said sport changing, and the semi auto gearbox stuck.

Lewis Hamilton wants to go fast!

Lewis Hamilton and Tony Stewart to swap seats for the day

McLaren?s Lewis Hamilton will get to try out some rather different high-speed machinery when he trades cars with double NASCAR Sprint Cup series champion Tony Stewart during a special promotional event at the Watkins Glen International circuit in June.

Hamilton will be behind the wheel of the No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Depot Chevrolet Impala NASCAR stock car at the American circuit, while Stewart will try out McLaren?s MP4-23.

?I spend a lot of time in race cars, but this will be the first time I've been at the wheel of a NASCAR stock car,? said Hamilton. ?Tony and I will have some fun with the swap and make sure we put on a good show. American race fans are massively enthusiastic about motorsports, so I hope to see a lot of them down at The Glen to see it firsthand.

?It?s a racers' circuit and will give us both the chance to understand the differences between the two styles of racing at this legendary track. Watkins Glen also has a particular connection to the team, as it is where McLaren won our first drivers? and constructors? world championship in 1974 with Emerson Fittipaldi. I?m looking forward to getting back there with the latest generation of McLaren?s machines!?

Stewart is equally enthusiastic about the prospect of sampling a Formula One car: ?When you?ve been around competitive racing for as long as I have, you really look forward to new experiences. This car swap with Lewis is definitely one of those opportunities.

"I already have quite a bit of respect for what Lewis and the Formula One drivers and teams do, so to experience laps in the cockpit of a F1 car and see what Lewis can do in the Cup car is something I am really excited about.?

The swap will take place at Watkins Glen on Tuesday, June 14.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/5/12018.html

Now Lewis, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.

Lewis Hamilton wants to go fast!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/5/12018.html

Now Lewis, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.

I'd like to see 22 of the F1 drivers thrown into a Sprint Cup race with 21 of the best stock car drivers (to keep some balance on a 43-car entry list) on one of the major superspeedways. For the lulz if nothing else. :cool:

watkins glen is a circuit, right? as in not an oval?

Yes. But a current F1 driver in a stock car on a superspeedway would be major embarassment for someone... no idea whether it would be the F1 driver or the Sprint Cup field. One of the two anyway.

Last edited:
I still don't see any reason behind not giving a man respect just because he's on the best car of the grid, and specially when you throw in examples that don't make any sense.

I haven't been asking anyone to have any less respect to these kind of drivers so, I don't know why you are telling me to have more respect towards them.

I'm not sure if I shall continue this discussion with you since you've been trying to put words in my mouth and your opinion is really biased towards Schumacher and Ferrari.

Schumacher and Vettel fit your definitions of a good driver: "drivers that mo...

As I mentioned on my original post, I acknowledge they are successful drivers but I never said they are any less capable than the ones I respect. Nor have I "define" what a good driver is. I didn't mention if I like/dislike any of them. Please.

Vettel won Monaco in the rain, he did well there. We all know rain brings uncertainty to a F1 race. But it was also Marko's cue to move him from RedBull Jr to the big team, with only 1 win under his belt. He's been sitting in a RedBull car before he even hit puberty. That was just the final yard of red carpet for him. If that wasn't spoon feeding, yes I AM blind.

That gearbox comment reeks with sarcasm yes, I have to agree, but there is certainly a grain of truth to it. My intention was to expect somebody to come in to post a long list of innovations credited to Ferrari over the past 60 years, but that prooved to be fruitless. I'm sure there were numerous highly technical advancement Ferrari manage to put into their F1 cars especially in the engine department.