720hp, twin-turbocharged V12 Tramontana R revealed

EsPpY

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/24/revealed-720hp-twin-turbocharged-v12-tramontana-r/

Autoblog said:
Two years ago, we tracked down a small, independent automaker on the floor of the Geneva Motor Show that promised to deliver a segment-busting supercar to those bored with Lamborghinis and Ferraris. Fast-forward to today and the Tramontana Group seems to have made good on its promise with the unveiling of the Tramontana R Edition.

The R is an evolved version of the standard open-wheel two-seater, packing a Mercedes-sourced 5.5-liter V12 available in either naturally aspirated, 550 hp guise or a twin-turbocharged 760 hp version that dolls out an astonishing 811 lb-ft of torque. The Group claims a 0-100 time of 3.6 seconds and a 10.15-second run to 200 mph.

The wheelbase has been shortened by 50mm to improve handling and aerodynamics, and weight is down by 202 pounds to just 2,777 pounds. The R stretches 192 inches from nose to tail, is 82 inches wide and 51 inches tall, and weight distribution is a perfect 50:50 left to right and 42:58 front to rear. Tramontana fitted 20-inch carbon fiber and magnesium wheels at each corner, along with high-performance summer rubber sized 245/40 in front and 335/30 in the rear. 380mm, six-piston Brembos handle stopping duties, while a custom Ohlins suspension allows the R's ride-height to be adjusted between 85 and 135 mm.

The body speaks for itself, as does the exposed carbon fiber interior, which features a chop-top steering wheel, an LCD instrument panel and the controls to the six-speed sequential gearbox. Production will be limited to 12 units per year with a price tag of ?385,000 ($495,000), but unfortunately, we won't be seeing it in Geneva next month ? the Tramontana R will make its official debut at the Top Marques Monaco show at the end of March.

01-tramontana-r-press.jpg

Looks good to me, dare I say it, it looks better than that one Jeremy tested. sorry but at this moment I bloody forgot the name and model. LOL. :mrgreen:

That would be the Caparo T1. I like how this thing looks, like it just came out from some futuristic Japanese cartoon. Would certainly love to see this on a hot lap with the Stig around the TG test track! Also, the times stated in the quote are in km/h and not mph.

Some pics:

34.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

82.jpg

95.jpg

101.jpg

98.jpg

Last edited:
I...I...I can't either. I have no idea what to think.

Its, uh, unique.

I think I like the way it looks. 720hp out of a twin turbo Mercedes V12 is a bit limp wristed though :p

I wonder if you can get an optional ejection seat? That thing is insane, utterly insane.

Mr. Vader? You car is ready...
Seriously: all it needs it that whistling drivetrain from a Noble to look and sound like Darth Vader. I think I like it.

They could improve the blunt front somewhat but it already looks miles better than the Deronda or the ugly caterhams.

that look freaking awesome!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

It's... um... unique-looking, that's for sure.

Personally I'd much rather a Caparo.

Too much power to control unless you are a racing driver. I'd just have a Caterham R500 instead...

Too much power to control unless you are a racing driver. I'd just have a Caterham R500 instead...

If you think that has too much power then you may feel the same once you get in the Caterham.

Saw this in another forum, its a whole lot of DO NOT WANT

I'll even quote myself

If your going to add that much weight, might as well make it more like a regular car....for two people...that can actually take you to places other than the race track.

To me a supercar should be fast on the track, fast on the road, be able to handle read roads, and take you to the valet of that posh restaurant in Beverly Hills.

If you just want a really fast car without the amenities, get a damn track car.

When Caparo did it, it was somewhat original and amusing, this is neither original nor amusing.

And you know what they say about supercars (not talking about open car racecars!) that can only fit one person...its a car driven by someone who couldn't pull women even with a supercar.

Last edited:
That looks, well... uhhmm, interesting? I genuinely can't decide if it looks really awesome or revoltingly grotesque. :blink:

hehee...........why can't it be both? I hate the looks of that thing with all the weird little bits all over the place that don't seem to add anything. That said, it probably is a lot of fun to drive, and will turn heads when you do so on normal roads. Just instead of being pretty, it turns them because its odd.

I'd still rather have the Caparo honestly. Even better an Atom or a Caterham. Now if only they made fully enclosed versions.

JH

If that thing sounds anything near like mercedes-mclaren SLR and with that canopy it would be like a ME-109 on wheels <3

looks deformed