And the gayest car of the year is...

Polly, are you a heterosexual male clothing designer, a bit self conscious about being straight in a mostly gay profession? Or are you a really slovenly gay dude? Or possibly own a Harley?

Polly, are you a heterosexual male clothing designer, a bit self conscious about being straight in a mostly gay profession? Or are you a really slovenly gay dude? Or possibly own a Harley?

I think he's just had it with the gay stereotype bashing going on here. You don't have to be affected to find it a bit over the top by now.
Let me put it this way: I still find it funny, but it's not far from stopping to be funny in my book. And i laugh at every gas chamber joke, so i can understand how someone who actually has some decency left might be a bit pissed of by this thread.

I think he's just had it with the gay stereotype bashing going on here. You don't have to be affected to find it a bit over the top by now.
Let me put it this way: I still find it funny, but it's not far from stopping to be funny in my book. And i laugh at every gas chamber joke, so i can understand how someone who actually has some decency left might be a bit pissed of by this thread.

It's not exactly a negative stereotype - saying someone is really good at being trendy and attractive isn't an insult, and at worst is actually an insult to straight men - and it's not something that is exactly inaccurate - the most fashionable cars being the gay car of the year, pretty much all the famous male clothing designers being quite gay.

It's a problem in the same way as "all blacks have big penises" or "all jews are good with money", both of which are positive attributes.
But i am not going to pursue this any further as i was just offering a possible explanation for Polly's comment, which we both don't know if it was correct.

It's a problem in the same way as "all blacks have big penises" or "all jews are good with money", both of which are positive attributes.
But i am not going to pursue this any further as i was just offering a possible explanation for Polly's comment, which we both don't know if it was correct.
I've never got being offended by positive stereotypes. Yeah, not all gay men are that stylish, it's just being silly, but clearly all gay men who voted for the RCZ as car of the year are all about fashion and style. Frankly, it might simply be a case of straight men being afraid of being thought of as gay due to the inherent fear of being considered effeminate - wheras if you're gay you don't have that worry - and fashion is often considered a 'feminine' pursuit. There's a whole crapload of stuff you can get into about gender roles, societal pressures, the history of homosexuality and the acceptance of the same, and what-have-you if you want to explore the origins of the stereotype. This is not really the forum for that. There are reasons why gay men are associated with fashion, and they aren't negative reasons, they're actually relevant reasons today - unlike the Jews being good with money thing, which is related to usery laws centuries ago which ensured that jewish people would only be allowed to be bankers, and that stuck with people until today even if it's not entirely relevant in the modern world, the gay = fashion stereotype has a lot more to do with who is setting the current trends in clothes and music - a lot of popular music is "broke" in gay clubs, a lot of major fashion designers are gay.

As for the big penis thing, I knew a black guy who'd bring it up in order to pick up chicks.

Don't mind the stupid jokes at all (see response #1 in this thread), I just think it's kind of funny that nearly 50 years after the start of the whole sexual equality/education movement people still believe that sexual orientation affects your sense of fashion or personal care.

Because they all ride bikes, right? So by the rule of sweeping generalization all bike people are gay?

No, the key in their appearance is the fact that the passenger is carrying enormous gay pride flags. That's part of their appearance, you know. :rolleyes:

Doesn't hurt that they're taking part in the annual San Francisco Gay Pride Parade, either. :lol:

Last edited:
The Gay Pride people are gay, ergo gay people in general dress like that? Seriously?

The Gay Pride people are gay, ergo gay people in general dress like that? Seriously?

No, you stated that (essentially) it should be impossible to tell if someone is gay by appearance alone.

Dress and grooming are only a part of one's appearance. If you are marching around with a gay pride flag, your appearance includes that very blatant identifier. While not a 100 reliable indicator, of course, marching around with a flag generally indicates that you are affiliated with it.

Yes, and I'll adhere to that statement: appearance, body care and fashion are not a general identifier for sexual orientation. If you feel like you must, you can keep posting pictures of people effectively holding up a sign saying "I'm gay" or stereotypes like the leather clad guy and take those as evidence of my falsity. I could then go down the same road and post a picture of a gay guy in 'normal' clothes as evidence of yours. Isn't that how these internet arguments usually work? Backing up one's own opinion by incredibly specific, yet singular pieces of evidence?

On second thought, let's not do this. It's silly.

If you are running around with a distinctive label or identifying icon, I would say that would be a pretty good method for others to determine your orientation.

Also, it isn't the leather bondage gear on the Harley rider that marks him as gay, it's the flags on the back of the bike. Look closely. (If you sit on Sunset Boulevard in LA, you will see straight guys riding in similar attire, for example. That isn't an indicator of sexual orientation, that's just a sign of stupidity.

Finally, I don't care if someone is gay, I just like trying the Sherlock Holmes schtick. :D