Automatic or Manual, what do you drive?

Automatic or Manual, what do you drive?

• Total voters
5-speed manual. Nothing beats the ultimate control it gives you and the *clack* *clack* Only thing where it annoys me is in traffic jams, because my car has an extremely heavy clutch.

If I were to form a general opinion on the percentage of manuals and autos in Europe I'd say that on new cars today, automatics are probably installed in about 35%. Which is alot, considering how rare they were only a few years ago. Interesting to note is that amongst automatics almost half seem to be semiautos (dont quote me on this, it simply "feels" like it), and I believe that the option of selecting gear yourself with paddles or "flippers" have greatly increased the general interest for automatics.

Of course these numbers are based solely on my own work as a car importer/exporter. The majority of cars on the road in northern Europe are definately manual.

I don't know anyone who isn't old and drives an auto. if you drive a truck or SUV, 9 times out of 10 it's auto, and I bet most housewives drive auto, but other than that most people can't stand autos.

Wow you think someone would have a 6-speed manual...hahaha..

Well in Georgia, which apparently has worse traffic then California, Auto is the way to go because it just kills your leg after 2 hours and going no where.

but i'm one of three people in my grade that has a manual (class size abt 200, so what a horrible ratio). However, a lot of people want to learn manual....to drive my car around....

an auto in dad's Volvo
an auto in mom's X-type
an auto in the Grand Am

none of these cars are "mine" btw

Manual gear box. :p

I've never driven an auto but from what I understand people that switch from manuals to auots get hooked on it... apparently it is "alot" easier. Personally I don't quite understand, I find it easy to change gears. I mean it isn't like trying to cure cancer. ^_^

I drive a manual because I'm a real man!

Never driven a manual. Just got my first car and although its brilliant, I didn't get one with a manual. My next car will probably be a manual...

The 4-speed in my Subaru is pretty crappy. The speed is still adequet enough for my needs but if you push a little too hard on the accelerator, it goes down a gear, jerks all over the place and goes a bit mental.

The 5-speed auto in my parents Merc (which I have driven all year) is just brilliant. Super intelligent and just a joy to use. The new car they've ordered with the 7G box should be even better, which I find hard to believe.

I ride a proper manual mountain bike. Does that count? :)

5spd manual as well :eek:

doesn't phase me driving in traffic, it's not really that bad.

Manual FTW - you can't beat the feeling of timing a downshift and getting the throttle blip just right.

I absolutely love manuals, but I'm currently driving an automatic (the car is actually my mom's). In the next year or so though, I plan to buy a car with a 6-speed manual. :thumbup:

Both cars 5 sp. Manuals. I have had one automatic and it was OK but I prefer manuals.

Last edited:
Five speed manual.

Only thing where it annoys me is in traffic jams, because my car has an extremely heavy clutch.
Consider it "exercise" :D

I ride a proper manual mountain bike. Does that count?
Ooh! Mr. 15-speed manual trying to show off or what? :p

Oh, and I forgot to say: my car is a 5 spd manual and RWD -- like a real man's car!!

I have a 5-speed manual. Proper manuals are a bit of dying breed here in the states. Damn near everyone I know drives auto - and I guess I can't blame them in Philadelphia traffic. Stop and go gets a bit laborious. I remember seeing a statistic that Europe has predominantly manual cars while Japan and America are predominantly and increasingly automatics.