BMW CS Vintage Concept - E9 reimagined

D

D-Fence

The project by car designer david obendorfer is a modern interpretation of the 1968 BMW E9 series designed by giovanni michelotti. it focuses on two models: michelotti?s E9 and its predecessor, the 1965 BMW 2000 CS (E120 series). the BMW CS vintage concept is based on the 6 series platform; the style, despite numerous citations from the past, is substantially contemporaneous with updated proportions and with modern details, many of which are influenced by nautical styling solutions.

I think that looks super cool. But we will never see it sadly :(

Seen that a few times now.. While I do like interior, sideline and rearend, I am just not warming up to the front. Just no.

A lot of NOPE going on at the front of that car......

Really love the shape of the car though.

It's too dated for a new car.

I like this guy's retro designs a lot. Would be nice to see them in production.

David, I know you're not reading, but just put down the pen and stop trying to design cars, you're clearly no good at it. Everything you've ever done is quite hideous.

Needs a chrome frontbumper, then YES, definetly nice! :D

Technically it's hideous but for some reason I like it.

I love the backside, I think the last thrid of the car is really looking awsome ... but I dislike the front and the (rendered) interior. Also the proportions seem off, if this is on a 6series platform ... it needs to be on a 4series platform to be smaller. This sort of backend (and general shape) won?t work on something as huge as a 6series.

IMO, of course ...

I do like it, the front with the narrow kidneys just doesn't work for me. Never been fan of those. In the E9 they look just fine, but there's just something wrong with the front of the concept. Loving the rear, interior and the side profile though.

Last edited:
i once saw a documentary, and there they showed a car made by the firm that after the war became BMW in east-germany (with the red logo)
the E9 took so many styling cues from it, it couldn't have been coincidence they were so alike.

but i don't remember where i saw that, what was the brands name, or what the model was called...
anyone has an idea what i'm talking about? what car they based the E9-design of?

i once saw a documentary, and there they showed a car made by the firm that after the war became BMW in east-germany (with the red logo)
the E9 took so many styling cues from it, it couldn't have been coincidence they were so alike.

but i don't remember where i saw that, what was the brands name, or what the model was called...
anyone has an idea what i'm talking about? what car they based the E9-design of?

The company would be EMW atleast, with the red logo.

Yeah, the front fascia isn't great. Rest of it is fine.

Still better than anything Bungled By Bangle.