Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare...no more WWII

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
That's right, COD4: Modren Warfare is on the way, and now we'll be shooting at Insirgents instead of Nazis.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/783/783268p1.html

Here's the first glimpse trailer:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JC3UMJ2It4[/youtube]

Higher quality version:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19006&type=wmv&pl=game

According to activision, everything in the trailer is in-game footage, except for the flag 8)

Looks AMAZING!! And there should be a PC version since the same dev team who made 1 & 2 is making this version. A different console only team made 3.

Last edited:
Wow, they finally caught up to what Desert Combat did ages ago.

About time they caught up with the present. Playing World War II shooters was fun, but it got old, especially when you're playing the same campaigns on CoD as you were in MoH. Or something.

Looks like Fall 2007 is when we can expect to see it and sounds like there will definitely be a PC version, so I'm really looking forward to it :thumbup:

Last edited:
Wow, they finally caught up to what Desert Combat did ages ago.

I guess you never played Delta Force 1 back in '98, or other similar games. It's not like DC was the first "Modern" Combat FPS :)

BUMP!

It seems that this game is truly going to rule and it's DEFINITELY going to be on the PC, apparently around November.

It's sounding quote incredible:

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will also feature deformable environments, where you can kick down and blow up doors, or take it to another next level with destructible walls, roads, buildings, and bridges. You'll also be able to block doors with heavy obstacles like vehicles or furniture and block windows from grenades with a little chicken wire. But you're not just limited to shooting what's within your (fire)arm's reach: you can call in and laser-sight air strikes to knock out those pesky enemy tanks and sniper's nests, too. Now that's what friends are for. "

Here is another good and revealing article about the game:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=164044

^^hmm... I haven't found a game that is more fun than BF2... but that laser-sight thing, somewhere along the lines of an artillery strike eh?

Yeah, BF2 is fun, but the bullet spread and accuracy of the rifles is ridiculously unrealistic and frustrating (If you don't know what I mean, load up Strike at Karkand, take the support kit, stand about 20 feet away from a wall, then unload an entire clip and watch where the bullets hit: notice that bullets fly up and to the sides at crazy distances, nowhere near where you were aiming, even if you are laying down.....like I said: ridiculous).....As a 1st Lt., I've invested tons of hours into BF2, but I can't take the crappy bullet spread any longer :( The game is more about luck than skill: So many people on the BF2 public servers whine about how they were aiming right at a guy and unloading on him and he didn't die. Well, the problem was not with their aim, but with EA's lame idea to add crappy bullet spread. I want my bullets to go where I'm aiming. I used to really like BF2, but I can't stand the inaccurate weapons any more.

In other words, I'm ready for a different game, and I'm really looking forward to CoD4, es[ecially since CoD2 has much more realistic accuracy than BF2, I'm confident that CoD4 is going to truly rock.

In the meantime, the Project Reality mod for BF2 is what I play. It fixes the bullet spread problem, but BF2 is 2 years old now and it's time for something new. I think Call of Duty 4 will be the answer :)

Last edited:
Wow ! Impressive... If the quality is the same as the CoD 3, I'll buy it directly !!!
I can't wait !! ;-)

I can't wait for this game either :)

IGN got another sneak peek and they summarized their thoughts by saying "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has shot its way towards the top of our most anticipated games of the year." They also revealed some amazing details:

"If you are expecting to see Call of Duty 2 with some new "modern" skins, you're in for a pleasant surprise. Infinity Ward has spent the past two years improving its technology to create a far prettier game. There's an astounding level of detail in both the environments and the characters.

At one point you may step into a barn, look up and see beams of sunlight breaking in through the cracks. You'll see dust particles in the air, though that's not nearly as impressive as the smoke trail from a rocket launcher. The sun can rise or set during a level with realistic lighting effects so that the transition from dusk to dawn appears natural. There's impressive damage modeling on derelict cars; you can waste some bullets shooting out tires or toss a grenade and blow the doors off. Walk past a hill of burning trash and you'll see not only smoke, but debris floating in the air. The stunning backgrounds are actually matte paintings, just as would be used in a movie.

As for the characters, each has full self-shadowing and a level of detail never-before-seen in Call of Duty. Get close to a soldier and you can actually read the time on his watch. Once you know it's not time for bacon and eggs, you can cast your eyes on the uniform and its rich level of detail. Breathe down the neck of a U.S. Marine and you will see realistic-looking flesh. You might even see them sweat.

More impressive is that all of this works in a frantic environment. The chaos of modern warfare has AI Marines screaming ooh-rah as gunfire echoes through the ruins of a Middle Eastern city. There are explosions left and right, enemies around every corner, helicopters spinning out of control and crashing in a fiery wreck. And all of it happens at 60 frames per second. It's fair to say that what we saw of Call of Duty 4 was a greater graphical feat than Epic's Gears of War. The trailer released in April was in-game footage and not some CG magic. The screenshots posted are, in fact, exactly what the game looks like. It's not a trick; Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare really looks that good."

Full article:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/796/796076p1.html

http://img459.imageshack.**/img459/2464/callofduty4modernwarfarju2.jpg

It'll be out this Fall (November if I recall correctly) and I don't think it will be DX10 specific, though it'll probably be optimized for it. The nice thing about CoD2 was that it was made for DX9 and looked fantastic, but it also ran great on older computers if you set it to use DX7. I think they're shooting for similar results. Supposedly, it's supposed to be the best looking FPS ever, according to IGN, even at this stage in development, so I have a good feeling it's going to rock.

I'm bored by the settings. It'S almost as if gamedesigners have only three settings to choose from 1) WW2 2) Modern warfare 3) Future combat. Sorry, but I ain't going to Iraq/The Soviet Union for the uptenth time. At some point it just becomes boring no matter how good the gameplay and the graphics are. It's sad really. At some point FPS developers lost their path I think.

How about something new for a change?

What do you suggest? The U.S. Civil War or something? hehe

To me, the setting isn't that important (especially on multiplayer) as long as the gameplay is good.

Judging by how good CoD2 was, this is probably going to be my new favorite game

The Civil War would be a bit crude from a gameplay perspective. I just finished Call of Juarez which reminded me of how good of a backdrop setting the West really is. I'd rather explore that than Downtown Bagdad for the 10th time.

Well, there have been some modern combat games, but I know you're exaggerating when you talk about the 10th time. The problem is there haven't been that many spectacular ones. I'm ready for a modern combat game that gets it right. BF2 was probably the most popular so far, and it was fun for a while, but the bugs and bullet spread ruined it for me. On the other hand, I can still play CoD2 with a smile on face simply because of how great it runs and how good the gameplay is. They got WWII right, now it's time for modern combat.

P.S. I was joking about the Civil War :)

And I wasn't. Anything but Iraq please.

Well, maybe you have to suffer through another year of modern combat games before realising how right I was. :p

oops... I seem to have completely missed this thread, I actually loved BF2 because of the ranking system, boys will still be boys, the more stripes you have next to your name, the cooler you are :D, plus the rest of the gameplay with planes, cars boats..... etc made it really fun :D... but looks like COD will have that as well

and swek, if you can give another idea of the a shooting game that isn't one of those, I bet they will use it. Isn't that pretty much all the options you have for a war game?