Cars With Pillarless Doors or Popup Headlights

Actually I agree with that one. Cars that had pop up headlights replaced with fixed look damn sexy for some reason.
Weeellll.....
MR2.jpg

(that one was mine:D)
vs.
garage_gallery-94-1114640924.jpg

or
04.acura.nsx.500.jpg

vs.
11783-1991-Acura-NSX.jpg

Your pick.

Weeellll.....
**SNIP***

Your pick.

I think the MR2 looks OK, but I would go the other way. The NSX looks better with the pop ups but at the same time they won't stay in there at night so that's gonna change the look. Also you can fuck anything up obviously.
I mean look at this
NBRFQEXLSM.jpg

So, I have always been a huge fan of popup head lights and Pillarless doors on cars. But they seem to be disappearing from cars. So, can anyone think of some cars with Pillarless doors or Popup headlights. We all know cars like the Ferrari F430 has pillarless doors, but what other more obtainable cars are there? The Subaru Impreza used to have pillarless doors, but the new generation doesnt. I cant even name a car with popup headlights that you can buy brand new.

Why are popup headlights and pillarless doors disappearing from cars? Do they cost more money to design then standard doors and headlights?

i for one never liked popup headlights, to me they were always an engineering/design compromise so performance cars with sporty noses could maintain their aerodynamic shapes but still could be driven in the dark. And back then headlight technology sucked so much that having compact projector lamp technology just wasnt available or feasible back then. Plus my dislike of excessmoving parts that are prone to breaking down also adds to my dislike.

Yes cars look good when the popup lamps are down, but when they are up, they usually ruin the look of the car. I'm quite okay with the look of headlamps integrated into the shape of the car, thank you.

As far as pillarless doors goes, with the exception of 2 door sports cars, i hate pillarless. Only higher end luxury cars with pillarless doors have solved the wind noise/window seal problems by having them self seal, but cheaper cars, it leads to high speed wind noise. Drove me crazy on my Impreza and annoys me in my Legacy. And when ppl say 'they don't look good'.....i'm sorry but who is driving their car, or leaving it parked with the doors splayed open? Aside from the brief few seconds one spends opening/closing doors, the presence of pillars doesn't affect the look of most cars, even with the windows rolled down.

OH OH
That's the car that hit me!
Ok no one buy those, they are made out of cardboard, one crashed into my bug and the whole front end disintegrated on impact and I've been trying to figure out what it was for years. It was totally indistinguishable when they towed it off.
all i could remember was the pop up lights.

OH OH
That's the car that hit me!
Ok no one buy those, they are made out of cardboard, one crashed into my bug and the whole front end disintegrated on impact and I've been trying to figure out what it was for years. It was totally indistinguishable when they towed it off.
all i could remember was the pop up lights.

The front bumper cover (yes, bumper cover) is made out of plastic, the bumper is inside of it. The plastic front bumper cover WILL crack and disintegrate itself, but that's not a big deal since its not supposed to bear the brunt of the impact - the bumper inside of it is supposed to. The fenders, hood, actual bumper, and frame rails behind the actual bumper are metal, don't worry.

Above 30 mph your chances for survival are based more on luck than anything else anyway.

This is a slightly newer model but under the skin they're very similar. This one has already been in an accident and as you can see the hood crumpled up nicely.

The thing on the hood is the actual bumper, and it mounts on the 2 frame rails, one on each side of the radiator. Notice how far forward the hood extends and you'll get an idea why front end damage on these always looks so much worse than it is. Even if you tweak the frame rail and total the car, the actual frame rail damage isn't even that bad, it's just enough to make the car not worth rebuilding.

camarop4.jpg

Last edited:
probgtex.jpg

The 2nd generation Probe GT had frameless windows and popup headlights as well as one of the best sounding V6 motors ever made...I miss mine so badly :cry:

even a lowly Mini has pillarless doors...

it's true that popup headlamps aren't so common anymore.
Maybe car designers saw that they fuck up all the aero benifit when driving at night? Or they break too easily?

The R8 has pillarless doors. I love the look of the Probe, I wish they made an RWD or AWD :(
Maybe car designers saw that they fuck up all the aero benifit when driving at night? Or they break too easily?
They are banned by SAE AFAIK.

The front bumper cover (yes, bumper cover) is made out of plastic, the bumper is inside of it. The plastic front bumper cover WILL crack and disintegrate itself, but that's not a big deal since its not supposed to bear the brunt of the impact - the bumper inside of it is supposed to. The fenders, hood, actual bumper, and frame rails behind the actual bumper are metal, don't worry.

Above 30 mph your chances for survival are based more on luck than anything else anyway.

This is a slightly newer model but under the skin they're very similar. This one has already been in an accident and as you can see the hood crumpled up nicely.

The thing on the hood is the actual bumper, and it mounts on the 2 frame rails, one on each side of the radiator. Notice how far forward the hood extends and you'll get an idea why front end damage on these always looks so much worse than it is. Even if you tweak the frame rail and total the car, the actual frame rail damage isn't even that bad, it's just enough to make the car not worth rebuilding.

camarop4.jpg
Oh no it was ALOT more damage than that that it took

Smashed all the way up to the windshield on one side, the whole left front was gone and fluids leaking all over the road It wasn't just the body the whole motor was collapsing D:

As to pop-up headlights being banned because of safety reasons, what about the old Dodge Chargers that had rotating grill slots that the headlights hid behind? Certainly some multi-billion dollar car company could come up with something like that... again...

DSCN1598.jpg

Bam, pop-up headlights and pillarless doors! '80s cool at its ... coolest :p. Actually I'm not so big on the pop-up headlights. I had them crap out on both the Celicas I owned, making me have to lock one or both of them in the up position. And while I like the sleeker shape the car has when they're down, it just looks ugly with them up.

I love pillarless doors though. My Celicas, F-Bodies and my Monte Carlo had them, heh so I'm used to not being able to use automatic car washes.

As to pop-up headlights being banned because of safety reasons, what about the old Dodge Chargers that had rotating grill slots that the headlights hid behind? Certainly some multi-billion dollar car company could come up with something like that... again...

!) Why would they?
2) Do you really see it working with modern car shapes?